SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:26 PM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
Anyway.....I want to run 4S 3000lipo on the P-51...so wondering how the stock ESC does on 4S and if you hve found any issues (heat) ...what size ESC have you found that works well....I ordered a Dynam 40ESC with BEC but not sure if I need a bigger better ESC-BEC combo.

Thanks in advance,
TwistedGrin
Twisted, you will have to be careful not to overprop it. With the stock prop on 4s it goes pretty fast and your 40A esc and stock motor will be fine, thats what I use in my Dynam T28 & I run full throttle whenever I want. If you put on a 12x7 or 12x8 2-blade, you should test with a wattmeter before you fly. You may go over 40 amps, and even with a bigger ESC, you may eventually fry the motor with a 12x8 like I did on my mustang. I use this wattmeter to read amps, watts & volts. $18 and very handy. Unfortunately, nobody knows the power rating of the stock motor, so that was weak link for me with bigger prop. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...up_Ver_2_.html
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:40 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 51 Jockey View Post
Getting my model sorted power wise. This thing flies really great! Another great day in sunny So. Cal!
P51Jockey, Nice photo of the Dynamic-Duo (P51 & Spitfire).....and they are!! Regarding your magnificent Spitfire in the photo....is this original paint, or did you re-do it....?. I am preparing to repaint mine once it arrives...but if the colors look as good as your photo.....I like it!!

Best Regards,
TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Aug 20, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:15 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
The stock esc won't live long on 4s.

I like to use 50-60a escs in these Dynam planes on 4s.

A little extra weight from the bigger esc won't be noticed, and the bigger the esc the cooler it will run as it won't be pushed close to its limit. A 60a esc in a setup only pulling 35-40a won't need special cooling mods, etc.

Have fun T/Grin
Thanks Sammy - I am a little latent getting back to the group here....been reading the thread from beginning to end.....sitll not through everything yet. Thanks again fellas for the rapid responses to questions.....I can hardly wait to get moving on this plane. I have just about pondered all of my modification steps to be ready....purchased some small parts to help make the build a little easier to get through (I hate waiting on parts during build remods). Hopefully my wall hanger idea will work out too...anyway. Thanks everyone ....greased landings to all

TwistedGrin
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:29 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMaster39 View Post
Twisted, you will have to be careful not to overprop it. With the stock prop on 4s it goes pretty fast and your 40A esc and stock motor will be fine, thats what I use in my Dynam T28 & I run full throttle whenever I want. If you put on a 12x7 or 12x8 2-blade, you should test with a wattmeter before you fly. You may go over 40 amps, and even with a bigger ESC, you may eventually fry the motor with a 12x8 like I did on my mustang. I use this wattmeter to read amps, watts & volts. $18 and very handy. Unfortunately, nobody knows the power rating of the stock motor, so that was weak link for me with bigger prop. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...up_Ver_2_.html
Aye Crashmaster39, I just ordered the Watt Meter from HK. Up til now I have been guessing on performances by just using a laser heat gun to get temperatures and call it good....however only making making battery/ESC/motor/prop modifications based on others trial and error plus thier impericle data. Sounds like the group is just starting to dial in this bird and push the envelope.

I would like to add...even from a novice point of view....adding carbon fiber to all of our foamies should enhance performance by stiffening up the planes abit...as well as perhaps adding life to the stress points on the plane. As long as we don't absolutely over power the airframes with our modifications...we should be able to fly these birds for years or until.....well let's not even go any further...LOL.

I have an HK Pitts Special that is hopped up a little, the first foamy I had... flew pretty well, but after I added carbon fiber to it....I could yank and bank without a nats hair of concern or pitty on the aircraft.....just a thought. Wherever I can...I will always install carbon fiber if possible especially if I think I am trying to operate just outside of the box regarding stock set up.

Having good measurements is a very good idea to help keep us within the limits of our electronics...and within the limits of EPO foam......then again also a good tool to help us keep on pressing the limits of the..."don't go there line"....LOL

TwistedGrin
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:56 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
wow I didn't even notice that I hadn't posted these for you guys... hope you guys enjoy the videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dcTA85o2HE&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2sA2JFgqRI&hd=1
JK671, Great story line here...nice flights and way to go on the repairs for subsequent flights. Thanks for posting up the video's. The first flight before crash video sounded like the plane was really screaming....were you flying a stock set up then??

Best Regards,
TwistedGrin
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:12 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,010 Posts
BESC programming question.

Gents, This is my first go round using a programming card to configure a Turnigy plush 60amp BESC. I want to program the 60amp BESC for the stock Dynam P-51 motor. My question is regarding the motor timing setting....there are three settings: Low, Medium, High.

Which setting should I program at: Low , Medium or High? And what the heck is the difference?

Thanks in advance,
TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Aug 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:45 PM
United States, OH, Bowling Green
Joined Jun 2012
234 Posts
Twisted, i as well would like to lean more about the ESC programming, i have installed a 50 amp esc and want to program esc to the high setting as it states you can gain more speed. So my thought is maybe i can still use the 2200mah 3s and get more speed by just changing the timing.

Ubootwo
Ubootwo is offline Find More Posts by Ubootwo
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:10 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Here's a discussion thread on the topic of timing:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408488

I generally don't mess with timing unless I experience issues with the motor like stuttering at startup or screeching. If I do have to change timing from the defaults, I try to use the lowest setting that doesn't present an issue to get lower motor temps and more efficient motor operations.

Ubootwo - IMHO, you'll get more of a speed increase by changing props or going to a 4S battery, or better yet both (4S and a 12x6 two bladed prop). The weight of the 4S battery also gets you a better tracking plane and allows you to get rid of any dead weight you might have had to add to get the proper CG. When I had the stock motor on my plane, I still had to place my 4S 2200 mah battery all the way forward to get the proper CG.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:24 AM
United States, OH, Bowling Green
Joined Jun 2012
234 Posts
thks, jboy!

runnin a 11x 7 2 blade right now, seems a bit faster, 4s here i come!

Ubootwo
Ubootwo is offline Find More Posts by Ubootwo
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:19 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubootwo View Post
thks, jboy!

runnin a 11x 7 2 blade right now, seems a bit faster, 4s here i come!

Ubootwo
You're welcome. One thing I forgot to mention that you may already know. It's always a good practice to check your power setup with a wattmeter whenever you make a change. You'll want to make sure you're not exceeding the specs of your components.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:48 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Here's a discussion thread on the topic of timing:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408488

I generally don't mess with timing unless I experience issues with the motor like stuttering at startup or screeching. If I do have to change timing from the defaults, I try to use the lowest setting that doesn't present an issue to get lower motor temps and more efficient motor operations.

Ubootwo - IMHO, you'll get more of a speed increase by changing props or going to a 4S battery, or better yet both (4S and a 12x6 two bladed prop). The weight of the 4S battery also gets you a better tracking plane and allows you to get rid of any dead weight you might have had to add to get the proper CG. When I had the stock motor on my plane, I still had to place my 4S 2200 mah battery all the way forward to get the proper CG.
Thanks for the link and input....I will yeild to default...unless the new BESC has it defaulted to some abhorent timing setting....I have no idea how many poles these stock motors have....if any of you do...it would be nice just to log for our archive data.

Best Regards,
TwistedGrin
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined May 2010
1,858 Posts
Hi, anyone have any luck with this ESC from HK? Its in USA warehouse which i like.. i want to run my p51 on 4s with stock motor and stock prop... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html thanks
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:26 PM
Warbirds and More Warbirds
United States, GA, Dahlonega
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
A Few Pics of Mine with some scale details added

Here is a few pics of mine with some scale details added and a PZ 109G modded and painted pilot added

Prop is an APC 11x7 4 blade it flys like crap with it on the stock setup so I use a 12x6 apc currently, will be putting a 60A Dynam esc and a Tacon Bigfoot 25 (still working on the motor mount) with 4S 3000mah hopefully that will get her moving with the 4 blade
Whitey22 is online now Find More Posts by Whitey22
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:32 AM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey22 View Post
Here is a few pics of mine with some scale details added and a PZ 109G modded and painted pilot added
Looks nice Whitey, I like the pilot & seat with him. Four blade prop looks good too. I see you removed the eagle stickers. I hated those stickers for some reason. I know there is a full scale P51 with them, but I think they look like somebody just slapped on a couple of shiny eagle stickers from the ice cream man. I had to remove those immediately. Keep us posted on how you do the motor mount and how it flies with the new motor and 4blade.
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:02 PM
Warbirds and More Warbirds
United States, GA, Dahlonega
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
Thanks Crash. And ya know what is funny I actually have a few photos of the real plane and it looks like the eagle was slapped on it to lol.
This plane will eventually be "Hurry Home Honey" just have to get my order into to Cali Graphics but I was tired of flying her naked so till then :P
Oh and has anyone tried one of Foamies4Lifes Pilots in these I think his RAF pilot maybe good for scale?

Oh and to hate2crash the trust series from HK seems to be getting bad reviews maybe try the Dynam 60A red from Nitro they are about the same price ($23+-) and are supposedly a HobbyWing and a good ESC (according to the feedback) just a thought it's the one I will be running once I finish the new motor mount for mine.
Whitey22 is online now Find More Posts by Whitey22
Last edited by Whitey22; Aug 25, 2012 at 05:19 PM.