SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:15 AM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjb View Post
Okay well, this plane needs to cg at 70mm to 75mm for sure. I guess the tail has a lot of weight. I tried at the 25% spot, but man the stang turned into a bronco. I was lucky to get it back. No one to flim for me, so no video {sorry}. So I took the bolt and nut and washers out, and used some lead shot to make up a better looking dead weight. 112grams to get it to 70mm form the root of the wing??? Sure is a nice flying mustang, In 35 years of flying RC this is by far the best flying mustang I have ever had.. Now I think I am going to get the Spit, and give it a go.. Guess I should had said that I am running a 4s 2200mah Blue Lipo.. and still needed the weight..
Wow, that's a lot of nose weight, but if she flies great for you that's all that matters. Mine was fine with the extra 40+ grams in the nose, that's why I selected a 4s battery that was roughly that amount of weight more than my 3s. I can't imagine what it would be like to fly with a 4s battery and another 112g of nose weight. It needs some weight to balance the cg out, but with my 45 extra grams in the nose it still likes to nose over on landings, even with full elevator trying to keep the tail down. I even have the landing gear raked far enough forward so if you look straight down on the wing you can see about 1/3 of the wheels.

Glen
Muskoka1 is offline Find More Posts by Muskoka1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:08 PM
Apache Junction,Arizona
Joined Jul 2003
469 Posts
Muskoka1, Yep I am still wondering why it takes so much weight to get the CG the manual calls for. Anyone else need this much weight to get the 70mm CG ? sure would like to know...

sdjb
sdjb is offline Find More Posts by sdjb
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:53 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
493 Posts
I run 4S and have added approx. 20g weight.
sihinch is online now Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:37 PM
United States, OH, Bowling Green
Joined Jun 2012
251 Posts
i will have to check again but i think with running the 3s i added close to 30g, also if i remember right 2g went on right side to get roll to even. (75mm)

Ubootwo
Ubootwo is offline Find More Posts by Ubootwo
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:27 PM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihinch View Post
I run 4S and have added approx. 20g weight.
Just checked my 4s 2200mah battery with velcro and ec3 connector for comparison, 267g.
Muskoka1 is offline Find More Posts by Muskoka1
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:22 PM
Apache Junction,Arizona
Joined Jul 2003
469 Posts
Man, I guess this weekend I will try and get the CG back a little at a time, to try and get the nose weight down as much as I can. Cause it is a little hard to get it to slow down.. Thanks guys.
sdjb is offline Find More Posts by sdjb
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:42 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Haven't flown my P-51 in a while as I wasn't too happy with the vibration that kept coming back with the stock motor. So, I took a Torque 2814T/820 motor which I took off of my 48" Extreme Flight MXS (didn't like being limited to a 12x6 prop on 4S with this motor) and put it in the P-51. I'll have to play with the timing on the 70A ESC to stop an initial screech on the maiden, but the plane seems to be performing well again. It's not a speed demon, but it gets around pretty well with this motor.
Decided the Torque 2814T/820 wasn't a good match for this plane and put in another motor I had laying around, a Motrofly 2820-1000kv motor. The height of the motor gives me a perfect spacing between the fuse and the spinner of about 2mm. It has a bolt on prop adapter, so no more collets, which I hate (probably the cause of the vibration issue).

For those not familiar with this motor, it's pure insanity to buy one for this plane - it cost as much as the plane and is rated at 1200W on 4S swinging a 12x6 to 12x8 prop. It needs a 70A ESC minimum. I did a static test this evening and it was pulling 76A peak and 1043W. The plane balances at the recommended CG with the 4S 2200mah battery just slightly forward of the rear of the battery compartment and is 53 oz AUW or a little over 3 lbs. This gives me over 300W per pound, which is ridiculous (a well powered 3D plane is around 200W per lb).

I hope to fly it this week - it should be a fun ride.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:26 AM
Corona, CA
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2011
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihinch View Post
It's an 850kV motor, which is supposedly the same as stock, but given that I got a higher power (approx 530 watts) with the new 4240, rather than the stock motor on 4S, I think the KV may be low.

I do have a power meter and it is a great tool. I would recommend anyone to get one, too.

The reason I just shortened it to 4240 was that it was the same motor that Crashmaster was talking about in post 646. I was being lazy and not putting all the detail down!

I'm only 2 years in to the hobby, so welcome all advice and help - I've still got loads to learn.

S
More diameter is more efficient. The bigger motor can swing that diameter just fine. I actually used a Hobby Lobby 11-10 4 blade on my Mustang and that motor pulled it just fine. A 12-8 2 blade would work also, but it would be much faster.
P 51 Jockey is offline Find More Posts by P 51 Jockey
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:07 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Decided the Torque 2814T/820 wasn't a good match for this plane and put in another motor I had laying around, a Motrofly 2820-1000kv motor. The height of the motor gives me a perfect spacing between the fuse and the spinner of about 2mm. It has a bolt on prop adapter, so no more collets, which I hate (probably the cause of the vibration issue).

For those not familiar with this motor, it's pure insanity to buy one for this plane - it cost as much as the plane and is rated at 1200W on 4S swinging a 12x6 to 12x8 prop. It needs a 70A ESC minimum. I did a static test this evening and it was pulling 76A peak and 1043W. The plane balances at the recommended CG with the 4S 2200mah battery just slightly forward of the rear of the battery compartment and is 53 oz AUW or a little over 3 lbs. This gives me over 300W per pound, which is ridiculous (a well powered 3D plane is around 200W per lb).

I hope to fly it this week - it should be a fun ride.
Remaidened my P51 with the new motor. Even with the heavier motor, she still flies great and doesn't feel heavy at all. Floated at the end and rolled off the helipad - guess I lose my carrier landing credentials.

Dynam P51D with Motrofly 2820-1000kv motor (5 min 0 sec)
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:13 PM
United States, OH, Bowling Green
Joined Jun 2012
251 Posts
Has anyone messed with the esc timing to see if more speed can be obtained? i posted same question on Dynam spitfie thread as i have both planes.

Just wondering what this reall does and how it would effect the stock esc/motor.

Ubootwo
Ubootwo is offline Find More Posts by Ubootwo
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Aug 2012
85 Posts
Hi all, First time poster/long time lurker. I have been flying Helicopters for about a year and recently got into flying airplanes (probably a backward learning curve) and I'm trying to decide between the Parkzone P-51D and the Dynam P-51. I currently have a Dynam Hawk Sky I have been pretty happy with and enjoy flying my Parkzone J-3 (with upgraded SU-26 motor) as well as a COX sky Cruiser which is very enjoyable for days too windy for the J-3 and dont want to go to a bigger field for the Hawk Sky. Which is the reason I want to get one of these planes. I need something that can handle 10kts of wind and dont need a huge field to fly in (soccer field is what I have). So what are your thoughts between the two?
enrico0273 is offline Find More Posts by enrico0273
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:43 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,208 Posts
Esteemed Dynam 1200mm P-51 Pilots,

I have ordered this aircraft form Killer Planes with the carbon fiber re-inforcement rods. After reading comments on several websites and comparing all my notes it looks like you guys experience great performance and are having the most fun with this Dynam 1200mm P-51 aircraft. It makes sense also to stay with Dynam 1200mm plane since many parts translate to and from the Dynam 1200 Spitfire.

Anyway.....I want to run 4S 3000lipo on the P-51...so wondering how the stock ESC does on 4S and if you hve found any issues (heat) ...what size ESC have you found that works well....I ordered a Dynam 40ESC with BEC but not sure if I need a bigger better ESC-BEC combo.

Thanks in advance,
TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:52 PM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
Esteemed Dynam 1200mm P-51 Pilots,

I have ordered this aircraft form Killer Planes with the carbon fiber re-inforcement rods. After reading comments on several websites and comparing all my notes it looks like you guys experience great performance and are having the most fun with this Dynam 1200mm P-51 aircraft. It makes sense also to stay with Dynam 1200mm plane since many parts translate to and from the Dynam 1200 Spitfire.

Anyway.....I want to run 4S 3000lipo on the P-51...so wondering how the stock ESC does on 4S and if you hve found any issues (heat) ...what size ESC have you found that works well....I ordered a Dynam 40ESC with BEC but not sure if I need a bigger better ESC-BEC combo.

Thanks in advance,
TwistedGrin
Go to the 40 ESC and add cooling by cutting out a slot in the cowling and a exit hole. Check out how Steve did his on killer planes.
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:33 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangloyd View Post
Go to the 40 ESC and add cooling by cutting out a slot in the cowling and a exit hole. Check out how Steve did his on killer planes.
Aye 10:4 MustangLoyd...thanks for the tip on the tip

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:22 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
.I want to run 4S 3000lipo on the P-51...so wondering how the stock ESC does on 4S?

The stock esc won't live long on 4s.

I like to use 50-60a escs in these Dynam planes on 4s.

A little extra weight from the bigger esc won't be noticed, and the bigger the esc the cooler it will run as it won't be pushed close to its limit. A 60a esc in a setup only pulling 35-40a won't need special cooling mods, etc.

Have fun T/Grin
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70