HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2012, 03:04 AM
Thatsright I drankthe rum
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,343 Posts
most leds run on 3 v and I read someone running them as two in series and connected to rx for supply that would make about 3v sound right too ..or adding a resistor in line with one.
K9000wner is offline Find More Posts by K9000wner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dututh Air Show
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 01:21 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,837 Posts
Hey thanks for the heads up, guess I won't bother with them.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old May 10, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
can somone post a pic of the battery location. Im just not understanding how it's secured
Eric209 is offline Find More Posts by Eric209
Old May 11, 2012, 01:14 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,837 Posts
I put my battery right up into the nose. My 2200 4S fit inside it snugly.

But ... I killed my ESC!!!

I programmed my throttle to limit it to 75%. Started the takeoff roll and ... Bleah ...brown smoke. Killed the ESC within 1 second. Don't believe everything you read, this ESC can only handle a 3S. I will upgrade my ESC/motor and prop before trying to fly this thing.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:21 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
I put my battery right up into the nose. My 2200 4S fit inside it snugly.

But ... I killed my ESC!!!

I programmed my throttle to limit it to 75%. Started the takeoff roll and ... Bleah ...brown smoke. Killed the ESC within 1 second. Don't believe everything you read, this ESC can only handle a 3S. I will upgrade my ESC/motor and prop before trying to fly this thing.
What size prop are you using? I've been running on 4S with the stock prop and ESC for a while now without any problems ( did put some holes in the fuse for ventilation). I just switched to a 2 blade 12x6e prop and will be trying it out this weekend - hopefully the ESC holds up.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old May 11, 2012, 11:21 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,837 Posts
I had the stock 3 blade 'Dynam' brand
Old May 11, 2012, 11:42 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
I had the stock 3 blade 'Dynam' brand
Must be a defective ESC. if it's a new plane, I'd ask for a replacement.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old May 12, 2012, 02:16 AM
Joined May 2010
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
Stock motor mount and stock motor. They are pre-installed. I did some good amount of bench test, there should be good amount of power on 4S. Performance should be great!

Plane is tail heavy if stock 3S 2200mAh (as per Dynam.) is used.
BUT perfectly balanced with the 4S 3000-3300mAh li-po.
I just ordered this dynam p51 plane and am not looking for a lot of speed just decent speed and good handling... i have several 4000mah 3s 25c gens ace packs...i am thinking they probabely are about same weight and size as the 4s 3000 packs you say work good...do u think they will fit and work good for scale flying..i think flight times should be around 12 mins or so..thanks
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old May 12, 2012, 11:27 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
493 Posts
You will have to carve some foam to get the 3000mAh packs to fit, both 3S and 4S.
sihinch is online now Find More Posts by sihinch
Old May 12, 2012, 12:57 PM
Yep! I'm addicted.....
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2012
310 Posts
i smoked my esc on the first take off, got about 30ft into the air, it went up in smoke. that was with the stock prop, 4s 3000mah battery. If anyone wants to fly a 4S which I suggest you need to upgrade the ESC. I put a E Flight 60amp and havent had any issues, flys great with that battery plenty of air time and performance. I also switched to a 2blade prop as well.
mash76 is offline Find More Posts by mash76
Old May 12, 2012, 09:52 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash76 View Post
4s 3000mah battery. If anyone wants to fly a 4S which I suggest you need to upgrade the ESC. I put a E Flight 60amp and havent had any issues, flys great with that battery plenty of air time and performance. I also switched to a 2blade prop as well.

What 2blader are you using?

I like the MAS 12x6 2 blade on these Dynam P-51/T-28 stock motors on 4s.
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 12, 2012, 11:11 PM
Yep! I'm addicted.....
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2012
310 Posts
I have been using a APC 12x6
mash76 is offline Find More Posts by mash76
Old May 15, 2012, 01:03 AM
Joined Dec 2009
31 Posts
hk p51 four blade prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka1 View Post
Hi Fuzzy, missed your post. I also had nose overs on takeoff and just sanded the prop ends. Stripped her down for paint and decals from Callie Graphics "Glamorous Glen III" so no new flight info. Installed the flaps the other day and put a mix in the DX6i for 2 flap settings, 50% with the flap switch and then down to 100% with the mix switch. Bought a Turnigy speed regulator to adjust the rate the flaps deploy, looks cool, and at about half speed it will help with getting used to them. Might slow them down more. Only slow in one direction though. They retract at full speed, just in case I need to get rid of them quick.

How much weight have you put in the nose? I've removed a third of what I had, now at just under 40g. Will see how that goes. I found it was taking too much room to get it down to land, although I now have flaps installed. May need to add weight back. Been too windy, will report back with results when I get her up again.

Also waiting for 2 and 4 blade props from HK, plus the spinner that go with the 1200mm p51 they sell.

Glen
What part number at Hobby king for 4-blade prop and spinner for their 1200 mm p-51?
canopee is offline Find More Posts by canopee
Old May 15, 2012, 09:16 AM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canopee View Post
What part number at Hobby king for 4-blade prop and spinner for their 1200 mm p-51?
See below for the part numbers. When I click on the items I ordered the links no longer exist. It appears they don't sell the stuff anymore. It was "junk". The best set-up I've used after much trial and error is upgrading the esc to 40 amp, use either a 12 x 6 or 7 APC 2 blade prop with a Dubro spinner, and most of all a 4s battery. She moves along very nice with this set-up, radar clocked at 107 kph, heat is not an issue. With the stock 3 blade prop, and the 4 blades I tried from HK, with the 30 amp ESC and 3s battery she was far too underpowered.

I'm using Zippy 2200mah 40c batteries that I got on sale from HK for $15 and they work great, flight times around 6 minutes. Didn't have to modify the battery tray at all, just shove them in and go.

Also, if you use the Dubro plastic 2 blade spinner with the wider blade APC props you have to Dremel out a bit of the bottom edges of the blade openings on the spinner or the prop will bind when you go to tighten it down. In other words the blades of the prop are wider than the openings in the spinner, and it will be unbalanced and vibrate like crazy. You only need to remove a little bit, just enough to get the prop to sit flat without twisting the blades. You'll see what I mean when you have the prop tightened down and you go to put the spinner on, it ever so slightly binds on the prop blades, and when you tighten it down, the blades will twist and cause awful vibration.

These are the part numbers for the prop and spinner.

4 blade prop : P-51PNP-4BLA http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16308
4 blade spinner : P-51PNP-SPIN http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16312

Glen
Muskoka1 is online now Find More Posts by Muskoka1
Old May 15, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Dec 2009
31 Posts
fellow sin city dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
Here's the maiden flight! Had some weird noise coming from the motor in the beginning! Not sure what it was.... good flight... but i definitely could've landed her a lot better! I wish my second flight was more succesful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDfs...e_gdata_player
I noticed you're not flying at the local club sites are you close to downtown'where I live?PM me,we could meet and talk RC,or not?
canopee is offline Find More Posts by canopee