SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:15 PM
s-s-s-S-O-L-I-D!!!!!
Joined Apr 2007
174 Posts
I don't trust even my best landings on grass with this landing gear, only because it is already an issue with us bending our LG forward, and grass tends to dothe opposite a lot of the time. I know some of you guys can probably grease in a landing no problem.

For me just keeping my airspeed up, after cutting the throttle to set up for a landing, and waiting to flare at the last second, to avoid the ker-plop is a challenge. The P 51 is a plane that will tip stall on landings unlike the Cub. As for taxi, I give up-elevator any time it's moving forward on the ground, to keep the tail down on the ground and nose up. And I just full throttle to get off the ground as soon as possible, keep that nose down at 1st and airspeed up to climb away with power.

When I flew the 1st time w/out adding 42g to nose, it nosed up and would have stalled right then and there, but i shoved the stick forward just to fly straight! Landing tail-heavy was like too much flare too soon: kerplop (with no damage). Now Im waiting for weather to clear up, and this Mustang's chompin at the bit. i wont land on grass unless i have to though. To each their own as they say.
Sinai1 is offline Find More Posts by Sinai1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Aug 2009
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinai1 View Post
I don't trust even my best landings on grass with this landing gear, only because it is already an issue with us bending our LG forward, and grass tends to dothe opposite a lot of the time. I know some of you guys can probably grease in a landing no problem.

For me just keeping my airspeed up, after cutting the throttle to set up for a landing, and waiting to flare at the last second, to avoid the ker-plop is a challenge. The P 51 is a plane that will tip stall on landings unlike the Cub. As for taxi, I give up-elevator any time it's moving forward on the ground, to keep the tail down on the ground and nose up. And I just full throttle to get off the ground as soon as possible, keep that nose down at 1st and airspeed up to climb away with power.

When I flew the 1st time w/out adding 42g to nose, it nosed up and would have stalled right then and there, but i shoved the stick forward just to fly straight! Landing tail-heavy was like too much flare too soon: kerplop (with no damage). Now Im waiting for weather to clear up, and this Mustang's chompin at the bit. i wont land on grass unless i have to though. To each their own as they say.
The same is true with the Dynam Texan's retracts on grass.
drypipe is offline Find More Posts by drypipe
Old Nov 08, 2011, 09:32 AM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,109 Posts
Hey guys havent been up here in years....I am back into the hobby though...anyway. I have the Dynam P-51 and the Dynam Texan.. I did the mod after reading you guys talking about it. I do have a question or two. Has anyone been able to put the metal part back on the struts? I tried it and it with the rake angle created a flap almost as expected. Any ideas on how to make that work. I have to say its a great flying bird. I hope to have fun with you guys again.
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:56 PM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
643 Posts
Does anybody know where I can get a replacement prop adpater for the stock motor? I have not been able to find one that gives you the right amount of spacing between nose of the plane and the spinner backplate. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
malden86 is offline Find More Posts by malden86
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:46 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malden86 View Post
Does anybody know where I can get a replacement prop adpater for the stock motor? I have not been able to find one that gives you the right amount of spacing between nose of the plane and the spinner backplate. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
I used the stock prop adapter with a spacer on the prop shaft, before putting the adapter back on. I now have a dubro 3" spinner and the correct spacing.

My buddy also helped me weather it and built a cockpit.
sihinch is online now Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:38 AM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,109 Posts
Nice...the PKZone extra prop and dubro spinner combo works great! The weathering looks sweet. I weather my stang lightly to simulate airshow bird just as the real Angels Playmate is vs the combat of old times.[ATTACH][ATTACH]Name: 102_1502.jpg
Views: 148
Size: 119.2 KB
Description: [/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:24 PM
Joined Aug 2009
839 Posts
Does anyone know if Dynam plans to make a FW-190 down the road??
drypipe is offline Find More Posts by drypipe
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:46 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,202 Posts
Not my video. ALL stock but with 4S, 3000mAh Li-po.
I'd say replace ESC with 40A though.
The DYNAM 1200mm P-51 MUSTANG - 4 CELL UPGRADE (9 min 33 sec)

Black Friday SALE, $95
: http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8939-p51-arf.html
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:31 PM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
I have six flights on my Dynam p-51 now. I'm really liking this plane. I'm flying it with a 4s 2200 mAh 40c battery and it moves along pretty well with the stock prop. I switched the speed control to an Ebay 40 amp unit, and hooked up an HK external BEC because my ebay bec was getting hot during ground testing.

I modified my landing gear and added lots of forward rake based on what I read here before I ever flew it, since this is my first real tail dragger and I did not want to worry about nosing over. Ground handling seems really good with the forward rake. Iíll post some pics of my landing gear mods, it is similar to what I saw done on this thread.

I could not use the stock spinner, it was too out of balance and had a wicked vibration on ground tests. So my first 3 flights were with the just the spinner base and stock prop. It flew great on 4s, I did one flight on a 3s 2200 and it seemed a little slow to me. I ordered two Dubro 3Ē spinners, 2 blade and 3 blade.

Today I flew it with an 11x8 fms 3-blade prop from my FMS 182 skytrainer with a 3Ē dubro spinner. The FMS 3-blade seemed slower than the stock 3 blade. Then I tried a Master Airscrew Electrics Only 12x8 MA1280NE 2-blade prop and the thing really moves. Awesome climb and speed with this prop. I really like the looks of this prop too, Itís very fat for a two blade, with rounded old-school ends. Looks much nicer than the APC electrics I think. I tried many APC and other props on the ground(11x8, 11x8.5, 12x6, and 12x10 , but this one (MA1290NE) produces significantly more static thrust, measured just by feel, pointing the plane straight up. And it is definitely the best looking 2-blade that I have seen. Iím going to paint the ends yellow and it will look a little better too. I did have to cut away a little of the Dubro spinner and some of the prop to get them to fit together. Then I spent a bunch of time rebalancing the prop & spinner, but finally got it running smoothly
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Last edited by CrashMaster39; Nov 30, 2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:19 AM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
I am seriously considering getting this plane and running it on 4s will the stock motor handle 4s???
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:32 PM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
I am seriously considering getting this plane and running it on 4s will the stock motor handle 4s???
The motor will handle a 4s but you might want to get a 40amp ESC just to be on the safe side. I also installed an external BEC because I had a brown out while making a final approach for landing, plane came in hot from around 50 feet up with the gear down. Surprisingly, I had minimal damage to the nose and the retracts still work. I hope to re-maiden her as soon as the wind dies down around here.
malden86 is offline Find More Posts by malden86
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
I just got one from Nitroplanes, received it today, from Black friday sale.
I took out the motor with the motor mount, then BOLTED it on a bench for bench test

I used my own 40 Amp ESC, & Here's what I got on wide open throttle:
- 4S, 33AMPs, 470 Watts, stock 3 blade
- Very smooth and quiet. NO spinner utilized during test.
- ESC barely warm
- Battery Barely warm
- Motor was warm BUT NOT HOT ! 20 seconds continuous
CAN'T BE MORE HAPPIER with the results and efficiency. Should be plenty of flight times on 3300mAh, 4S.

Plane will be repainted then go for the maiden.

- ALL Control surfaces were hinged, 1st picture: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=8282
- Forward rake mod was done as well, 3rd picture.
- 3" Dubro Spinner will be used
- Added Y extension for the retracts as seen on the last picture (terminal sticking out). this will make it easier for me to replace E-retracts in the future , if I have to.
- Wheels will be replaced, tiny bit larger in size (2.5"), but softer.
- 4S 3300 li-po
- Stock blade
- Wheel bay was enlarged slightly, and spackled, will be painted as well, last picture.
- Will not go for flaps, since this plane floats good anyway, last picture shows a small carbon fiber on mid-flap, just to reinforce it from accidental bending.

*Nose decal and exhaust has already been removed, getting ready for painting her, Camouflage.
*Forward Rake mod was based on, & were commonly done on the early version of the Airfield/FMS P51: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post14261909 which I also own one.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Dec 01, 2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 01:23 PM
accel8or
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
485 Posts
What motor mount did u use, Spyro?
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: How people size you up
Old Dec 01, 2011, 02:07 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by accel8or View Post
What motor mount did u use, Spyro?
Stock motor mount and stock motor. They are pre-installed. I did some good amount of bench test, there should be good amount of power on 4S. Performance should be great!

Plane is tail heavy if stock 3S 2200mAh (as per Dynam.) is used.
BUT perfectly balanced with the 4S 3000-3300mAh li-po.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:00 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined May 2011
84 Posts
I just got bought this plane on the cyber monday sale on nitroplanes
can someone post pics on how to move the retracts on an angle (im a noob with mods)
Thanks
Blasturbator is offline Find More Posts by Blasturbator