HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2011, 07:55 PM
Old Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,261 Posts
Are the Dynam servoless retracts normally slow to power up? Takes 7 or so seconds for them to energize after plugging the battery in. Work fine otherwise.

Question answered by Glen in a different thread.
fuzzyhead is offline Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Last edited by fuzzyhead; Oct 02, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:39 PM
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Aug 2010
127 Posts
Tried out my landing gear mods yesterday. Worked ok on grass, got in 5 flights. Last flight landing was a bit rough and the gear bent back some. Was easy to bend back in place when I got home. Mods work but gear wire is a bit weak. I will post some pictures of the mods later this evening.

Other issue was vibration. I had to scrap the original spinner due to vibration. Went to a a two blade prop and a SIG spinner. It was better but still had too much vibration at anything over 1/2 throttle. Finally found a DuBro 3" spinner and used a Master Airscrew 10x8 prop with a Great Planes prop adapter for the 4mm shaft. Wow, it is smooth as glass now at all speeds. Got a DuBro 3" for a three blade on the way and a MA 10x7 3 blade prop. I will also give the stock prop a try as well. Without the spinner the balanced stock prop is very smooth as well.

With the LG mods and the new prop/spinner this plane is sweet. And it looks so great on a low pass with the wheels up.
winginman is offline Find More Posts by winginman
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:54 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,508 Posts
Burn them; burn them all.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:13 PM
USA, TX, Van Alstyne
Joined Nov 2010
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Burn them; burn them all.
Whats that all about
inspector5419 is offline Find More Posts by inspector5419
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:45 AM
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Aug 2010
127 Posts
Finally, had a little problem resizing the picture, had do download a new program. But here is what the LG looks like bent and tilted forward. Works in the grass now. (Short grass)
winginman is offline Find More Posts by winginman
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:52 PM
Joined Aug 2009
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winginman View Post
Finally, had a little problem resizing the picture, had do download a new program. But here is what the LG looks like bent and tilted forward. Works in the grass now. (Short grass)
Possible simple solution then.
drypipe is offline Find More Posts by drypipe
Old Nov 05, 2011, 10:46 AM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
623 Posts
After a couple of months of having this plane I finally got to maiden it this morning with the stock motor and ESC the Extra 300 prop and a 4 cell batt. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance and flight characteristics of this plane. After some trimming It flew like it was on rails and I never went above half throttle and it was plenty fast for me. Excellent roll rate for a plane of this size and landings were a breeze and uneventful, to me it is easier to land than my Parkzone P-47 and the landing gear held up real well. No nose overs except when I went off the pavement but I did put about a 1/4 shimmy on the retracts so I did not have to carve out any foam in the wheel well. On one of my flights I forgot to set the timer and I ran out of juice tried to deadstick it and did a cartwheel on the grass and absolutely no damage on the plane so it's pretty rugged too, all in all a great deal for the $99.00 I paid for it and I am really happy with it.
malden86 is online now Find More Posts by malden86
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:21 AM
s-s-s-S-O-L-I-D!!!!!
Joined Apr 2007
174 Posts
Free Dynam P51

This plane looks solid...I got mine as a gift for free. it has fixed LG. So Ive ordered the replacement Dynam retracts here:
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ct-p-1409.html
Thank you for the ideas here. I moved my Wheels forward a bit too. As for my 1st flight it was incredibly tail heavy and I added 42 g to the nose. Ive got the battery shoved all the way forward.

Good luck with your flights everybody; i'll try to get a vid up if i can
Sinai1 is offline Find More Posts by Sinai1
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:43 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,508 Posts
Anyone have issues with landing this plane?

A friend has one and it always touches down then flops forward yet CG is good. It's not his piloting skills and landing gear is freed up and working well.

Even on powered landings it has very odd tendencies.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:45 PM
Joined Aug 2009
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinai1 View Post
This plane looks solid...I got mine as a gift for free. it has fixed LG. So Ive ordered the replacement Dynam retracts here:
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ct-p-1409.html
Thank you for the ideas here. I moved my Wheels forward a bit too. As for my 1st flight it was incredibly tail heavy and I added 42 g to the nose. Ive got the battery shoved all the way forward.

Good luck with your flights everybody; i'll try to get a vid up if i can
How does the retracts handle grass?
drypipe is offline Find More Posts by drypipe
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:58 PM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Anyone have issues with landing this plane?

A friend has one and it always touches down then flops forward yet CG is good. It's not his piloting skills and landing gear is freed up and working well.

Even on powered landings it has very odd tendencies.
Did you friend move the landing gear forward? The stock retracts are too straight and most people have been moving them forward by either bending the strut or putting a shimmie on the rear part under the retract screws. You can look at winginman's photo above to get an idea on how to do it, I did not move mine as much as in the above pic but it does seem to help. You also need to keep full down elevator after landing and during the rollout. Hope this helps.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 02:57 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
6,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malden86 View Post
You also need to keep full down elevator after landing and during the rollout. .
NOT!

Down elevator will push the tail up and the nose into the ground, hold "up" elevator to keep the tail down and the nose up.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Nov 07, 2011, 03:04 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,508 Posts
Yes he moved gear forward quite a bit actually.

Also the airframe has not been crashed so that isn't a problem.

This plane from what I have seen is Disapointing it seems. Not very powerful and stock ESC start up functions are slow even when on fast start. It'd underPowered and has off handling characteristics.

Needs better electronics I think and the servoless retracts are garbage. Many people having issues with these retracts in this model and others as well.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 03:24 PM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
NOT!

Down elevator will push the tail up and the nose into the ground, hold "up" elevator to keep the tail down and the nose up.
Sorry JimNM, my mistake and thanks for clearing that up.

Razor, I'm running mine with stock electronics but using a Parkzone Extra 300 prop and a 4 cell lipo and the plane really scoots around on half throttle but I'll be putting a 50amp ESC that I have laying around. I've read all the concerns on this model but mine flies great and landings are real easy and the retracts do seem kinda cheap but they seem to be holding up so far.
Last edited by malden86; Nov 07, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 03:38 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,508 Posts
Okay

I'll tell him he should run 4S