Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 01, 2011, 03:43 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,010 Posts
Nice pictures Mitchy. Those look bullet-proof, lol!
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:14 PM
Kingsland, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,406 Posts
I decided to build a thrust vector unit today. I figure the cost of materials minus the electronics is less than $5. The unit weights 7.4 oz, minus the battery. The prop is 8". Total length = 8". Requires only a drill press, screw driver and pliars to build. I didn't get a chance to finish the mount, but plan on using a single Kingpin setup. This should allow it to be pretty universal.
Joel K. Scholz is offline Find More Posts by Joel K. Scholz
Last edited by Joel K. Scholz; Mar 03, 2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:48 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,246 Posts
Very nice. Joel. I'm working on my own setup, similar to yours. Can I ask what ball links you used, and what angular deflections you can get? Thanks.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:49 AM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
312 Posts
Joel: Thumbs up!

Think about interchangeability - 1 unit, different kites (You must have a lot, I think )

flattermann
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:11 AM
Kingsland, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,406 Posts
Harry, I got my ball links from SIG Manufacturing. They are made by KAVAN. Dubro also makes several good ball links. I have already figured out how to simlify and lighten this design. I haven't measured deflections yet, but I am quessing around 60 degrees. Flatterman , in my case it is almost a question of overchoice. I probably have 120 different designs in my attic. I can't decide whether to choose show or go. Most likely show. Dragon, 3Dbird or Pteranadon. Vector thrusting one of my F-16 juts might be interesting.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 12:39 PM
Eat, Sleep, Fly!
Joined Mar 2001
659 Posts
Mechanical Mixer

I have used the elevon mixer mentioned above (comment #15) many times when the radio did not support mixing itself. It is easy to implement and works great.

Simply put, the aileron servo is mounted on a forward/aft slide which is driven by the elevator servo. This provides the elevon function.

James in eTX
realglow is offline Find More Posts by realglow
Last edited by realglow; Mar 05, 2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 01:45 PM
Kingsland, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,406 Posts
As I have never actually seen a vector powered kite, only video, I have no basis for judging suitable wingloading parameters. The commercial Premier designs are large kites, but the vector system looks like it is very heavy. What do do these systems weight? I am using a speed 400 outrunner , probably generating 20 t0 24 oz thrust. My vector unit is 7.4 oz plus around 4oz for a battery. What is a practical wingloading?
Old Mar 04, 2011, 01:56 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,635 Posts
Joel,

According to this site, the Premier kites weigh between 19.2 and 27.2 ounces. This and some data from the "regular" Premier website should give you an idea for wingloadings.

Tim
AG4RZ
IFLYOS is offline Find More Posts by IFLYOS
Old Mar 04, 2011, 02:16 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,246 Posts
Thanks for the info on the ball links, Joel. I think those are a very critical item in building a good gimbal. Those Kavan ones from Sig look much better than the Dubro type I've been experimenting with. The Dubro have a pretty limited deflection range - only about 25 each way. That can be increased to around 30 each way by not butting the screw head or conical washer up against the ball (which is "flattened") on top and bottom. Something like Loctite would have to be used to fix the ball to the shaft.

The Kavan types seem to have full spherical balls so should give better deflection range. I'd be interested to hear what deflection your arrangement has, when you measure it. Also anything else you may discover during your experiments.

I tried a setup using PVC plastic for the ring etc, but it seemed to be much too flexible. I've just received some 2" diameter aluminum pipe I ordered, so will try making one from aluminum.

Like you, I've never actually seen a real vector kite. This is like starting RC all over again, isn't it? But you're a kite manufacturer? You're way ahead of most of us, then!
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,459 Posts
Ball links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Thanks for the info on the ball links, Joel. I think those are a very critical item in building a good gimbal. Those Kavan ones from Sig look much better than the Dubro type I've been experimenting with. The Dubro have a pretty limited deflection range - only about 25 each way. That can be increased to around 30 each way by not butting the screw head or conical washer up against the ball (which is "flattened") on top and bottom. Something like Loctite would have to be used to fix the ball to the shaft.

The Kavan types seem to have full spherical balls so should give better deflection range. I'd be interested to hear what deflection your arrangement has, when you measure it. Also anything else you may discover during your experiments.

I tried a setup using PVC plastic for the ring etc, but it seemed to be much too flexible. I've just received some 2" diameter aluminum pipe I ordered, so will try making one from aluminum.

Like you, I've never actually seen a real vector kite. This is like starting RC all over again, isn't it? But you're a kite manufacturer? You're way ahead of most of us, then!
Here's another choice in ball links I came across in a magazine - made by Sullivan.
http://www.sullivanproducts.com/ContSysAccMainFrame.htm
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Mar 04, 2011, 06:25 PM
Kingsland, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,406 Posts
Harry, you can see range of motion in the vector thrust mechanism here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1400770
Old Mar 04, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,353 Posts
Since I'm using a larger motor now, decided to use a beefier gimbal. This one seems real sturdy. I just loosened the bolts before the picture to change out the servo arm stud for a longer one that won't hit the side, pivot bolt. Sure wish I had a milling machine or at least a decent hardware store around..
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:17 AM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
312 Posts
... may be, 5mm aluminium (welding-) wire sticks (around 1m length) could help to bend gimbel rings of different diameters (for the 'ring-in-ring' gimbel construction):

You take 2 different nuts, say 36mm and 22mm, and, both, the nut and the wire, caught in the vice, then You bend the whole wire in 2 spirals around the fixed nut, say, each spiral with 3.1/2 rings.

Cut the spiral-rings with an overlap of 5mm, and file the overlap flat, so the overlaps are shaped in a half-circle.

Align the rings as necessary, and fix them at the overlap with a 2mm screws...
So, You get inner and outer rings for Your gimbel...and need no milling machine

flattermann
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann
Old Mar 05, 2011, 03:26 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,353 Posts
sounds good flattermann..

good thing I made another gimbal. The motor ripped off this AM during launch when the original broke!
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:15 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,353 Posts
Needed to get the motor higher so made another gimbal out of some strip aluminum stock and CF. Plenty of movement...don't know if the servo can provide that much throw..