Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:50 AM
quadcopters & FPV padavan
near forest ;-) in Poland
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
Thanks to firetrappe, I finished first chapter of english manual, here it is:

CHAPTER 1
Connectors on the board of the OSD.

~ Debug Port connector. This connects to the serial communication pins on the FC (flight controller) board using 3 wires. The Debug Port has 10 pins, for MultiWii we only use 3 of the upper pins, the lower 5 pins are unused. RXD, TXD and GND connect to the pins on the Arduino which are normally used to connect the FC to the computer (if you use an FTDI interface / USB), alternatively they can be soldered directly to the pins on the Arduino.

~ VID_TX connector. This connects the OSD to a video transmitter. The transmitter must be able to accept a 12V input. If the device requires 5V then you will need to use an additional voltage regulator (Eg LM7805)

~ Camera Connector. This port is used to connect the camera and an optional microphone. As above, if the camera requires a 5v supply then an additonal voltage regulator will be required.

~ RC_CTRL Pin. If the signal / pulse output from a spare Rx channel is connected to this pin then it will serve as an on / mode switch to change the OSD display during flight.

~ GPS connector. Used to connect the GPS receiver. We Recommend that a "small" GPS with an MTK chipset is used. The GPS operates at a frequency of 4Hz. The connector (and whole OSD) is compatible with the GPS receiver used in Remzibi's OSD.

~ CURR_PROBE connector. Here you can connect a current sensor to monitor power consumption from the battery. The sensor output can be either positive or negative. A current sensor is optional and can be purchased separately.

~ RSSI connector. This connector has 2 inputs and is used to display RX signal strength. Normally we only use IN_1 (or IN_2), and set the appropriate input in the OSD menu. In the menu you can also select 'dual mode' which can be used if you have a dual receiver (diversity in which case both inputs can be used. In dual mode, the OSD will display the RSSI value of the stronger signal. RSSI signal may be positive or negative, this is not important. The RSSI signal type will be recognised when it is calibrated from the menu.

~ And last but not least - Power connector. We recommend powering the OSD board from a 3S lipo. If using a 4S flight battery then either use a separate battery to power the OSD, Vtx and camera, or take 3S voltage from the 4S balance plug, or use an external 12V regulator. Current consumption of the OSD without GPS is approximately 110mA, and with GPS receiver - 160-170mA
Rurek is offline Find More Posts by Rurek
Last edited by Rurek; Apr 15, 2011 at 01:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:54 PM
Poland
Joined May 2009
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiwii FAN View Post
HI
thanks , is the software for multiwii and Mikrokopter the same one ?
No, firmware for MK and for MWC are different, but hardware is the same.
mis_b is offline Find More Posts by mis_b
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:49 AM
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
But, if you plan to use this OSD with Mikrokopter one day...and another day you will need OSD in MultiWii copter - there is no problem, just reflash OSD with appropriate firmware and If you have 0.62 (or further - higher) firmware you do not have calibrate everything each time.
Last edited by Rurek; Apr 11, 2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:12 AM
Build 2 Bounce!
Birmingham, UK
Joined Jul 2006
1,660 Posts
First test of MultiWii OSD

I bit the bullet and ordered one of these last week. It took 3 days to arrive from Poland to the UK and was delivered on Saturday morning.

It's pretty easy to connect, a lead is supplied pre-wired to connect the OSD to the pins on the arduino (the ones that you use usually use to connect your FTDI cable to). Plugs and matching 'crimp style pins' are also supplied for all the other ports on the OSD board. This is pretty cool as you can mount all your FPV gear and sensors and then add the plugs once you have the wires cut to the right length. It means a nice tidy install is relatively easy.

All the software for updating firmware and changing settings etc worked flawlessly on my PC running Win7 64bit Ultimate. The existing sketch I was using on my copter (1preter7) worked perfectly with the OSD without any modifications. I've also connected a signal wire from the spare 6th channel on my Spektrum Rx to the board, this allows me to switch between 2 different OSD display layouts during flight and also turn the display off completely from a swich on my TX....a nice touch

This is my first venture into FPV and I was a bit concerned about losing my bearings/orientation of the copter flying with goggles. The artificial horizon and 'home direction' arrow on the display give me much more confidence.

I managed to make a quick trip to our flying field on Sunday evening to test the OSD. Unfortunately the sun was just setting and the light was quickly going. I flew LOS to test it out and recorded the stream on my video camera. The video below shows that flight. Note that I hadn't calibrated the current sensor at this point so that part of the display is incorrect.

I calibrated the current sensor last night and the OSD now shows the same readings as my EagleTree logger.

Si.

OSD Test (2 min 5 sec)
firetrappe is offline Find More Posts by firetrappe
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:51 AM
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
Thanks to firetrappe - we all have the good english written manual - look to the first post in this thread. Many Thanks firetrappe! - Who is a better and brighter than the native Englishman would do such an audit of my dirty english
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:27 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
I am thinking buying the unit because it can be used on MK and Wii, before I do where can I find the MK firmware and / or some info on connecting the unit to the MK?

//Frank
Frank.T is offline Find More Posts by Frank.T
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:59 AM
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
I can provide all necessary infos about MK. To connect - it is more simple like MultiWii - you need to use 10-wires, 2 rows connector beetween debug port on OSD and debug port on MK (Flight Controller or Navi if you have/use).
The newest firmware, as usually I provide to each owner of OSD.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:15 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
Yes I have a Octo with Navi / Mag/ GPS/ etc..

OK, at month end (paycheck) I will order one and use it first on my MK.

//Frank
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:21 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Birmingham, UK
Joined Jul 2006
1,660 Posts
Pics

Frank, that's a cool Octo....very nice!

My FPV test quad is a cheap HobbyKing frame which i've heavily modified. The stock HK kit is not strong enough to carry the FPV payload, so i've used it to hide a basic aluminium framework.

I've attached some photos to show how i've connected my OSD.

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:57 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetrappe View Post
Frank, that's a cool Octo....very nice!

My FPV test quad is a cheap HobbyKing frame which i've heavily modified. The stock HK kit is not strong enough to carry the FPV payload, so i've used it to hide a basic aluminium framework.

I've attached some photos to show how i've connected my OSD.

Si.
NICE! Wow for sure a clean build, which video TX are you using?

//Frank
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:12 AM
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
Wow!
How nice setup!
But it worries me that this frame is so weak and that it needs to be strengthened I have this also in my glove box and wanted to build on this frame, a simple Wii quad without the AP, only for FPV exercises, quick flights...
I see in your setup - in fact - wires without pre-made ​​connectors are better because you can carry all the cables and just do finish connectors and wires when you perform all the cables pass.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:41 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Birmingham, UK
Joined Jul 2006
1,660 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys, glad you like it

Frank, the Vtx i'm using is this one : http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...products_id=24
It's not mine, I borrowed it from a friend. I'm still trying to decide which Vtx and Vrx to buy myself. I'm thinking of going with a small 5.8Ghz set as I don't plan on flying too far from base.

Rurek, my Quad weighs 1.5kg RTF. I think the HK frame would be okay on its own, but I think it would turn into matchsticks even in a gentle crash. I know i'm going to crash so I thought I might as well make it a bit stronger from the beginning. If HK made the same frame out of FR4/G10 (fibreglass) then it would be perfect without strengthening.

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:14 PM
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetrappe View Post
Thanks for the compliments guys, glad you like it

Frank, the Vtx i'm using is this one : http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...products_id=24
It's not mine, I borrowed it from a friend. I'm still trying to decide which Vtx and Vrx to buy myself. I'm thinking of going with a small 5.8Ghz set as I don't plan on flying too far from base.

Rurek, my Quad weighs 1.5kg RTF. I think the HK frame would be okay on its own, but I think it would turn into matchsticks even in a gentle crash. I know i'm going to crash so I thought I might as well make it a bit stronger from the beginning. If HK made the same frame out of FR4/G10 (fibreglass) then it would be perfect without strengthening.

Si.
You can try 5,8G but you should do a skew-planar antenna like IBCrazy does. My polish coleague has one and he's a very happy man with this solution - the image is clear without any dropouts on 2km!!! 200mW power only...This antenna was made from the garbage in hour...
About frames - one day I had a little crash with quad, it drop down from 5metres....my alu profiles was like spaghetti - and I think you are so hopefull about FR4/G10
Khmmm is it thread about OSD? Okay, please write how works current sensor? And readings are good? Do you have (or not) any problems with OsdConf program? because I haven't wrotten manual yet

BTW your copter is a monster with this heavyweight, my MK copter weight 1400RTF with Gimbal and GoPro
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:58 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Birmingham, UK
Joined Jul 2006
1,660 Posts
Thanks for the advice on the 5.8G antenna, i've already been looking at the SPW's and IBC's BluBeams.
It's always a compromise between weight and strength with any model, not just multicopters. I know mine is heavy, but it is quite stable even when it is windy. I've broken props on hard landings, but so far no other damage.

OSD.... The current sensor appears to be working well. I calibrated the sensor a few times, the first 2 times the readings were higher than my datalogger by between 0.8 and 1A. The third time I calibrated it was within 0.1A of my datalogger. I need to fly the quad to check the accuracy properly.

I'm using the default settings on the OSD at the moment, so I haven't used the OSDconf software very much yet. I've loaded the settings.bin file that I exported to the SD card and that worked fine.
I may try increasing the sensitivity of the Vario using OSDconf. The vario display didn't move very much in the video I posted, I know there wasn't a lot of vertical movement, but I think it could be improved.

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2011, 06:19 AM
Paris, France
Joined Jun 2009
756 Posts
review

Hi,

Some days ago, Rurek sent me this nice piece of hardware :MIS OSD
And I finally took the time to make some test with it

I use a third party 5Hz GPS witch comes from an old OSD setup manufactured by Intelligent Flight.
The setup is apparently not distributed anymore, but the GPS is 100% compatible with MIS OSD.
For curious: my FPV setup is described here (but in french):
http://radio-commande.com/forum/mate...quipement-fpv/

For this test, I reused also an old 420L camera I got from insesun.com compatible with 12V alim.

So, some personal feedbacks:
  • The quality of the PCB is really good. It's a 2 layers SMD component which seems very robust.
  • All the connectors is supplied but it's up to you to attach wire on it => you can control exactly the length and the number of wires according for your setup. (for instance, Audio output is not needed for everyone)
  • The explanations in the first post are currently clear enough to make all the wiring.
    • I just had a little doubt about the V-IN/V-OUT and A-IN/A-OUT I/Os. I firstly thought V was tied to a specific voltage I/O, but I understood V stands for Video and A stands for Audio
  • Due to the UART code inserted in MultiWii to support MIS OSD, it has nearly no impact on the MultiWii loop time => there is no performance trade-off to connect MIS OSD to a MultiWii compatible board.
  • The artificial horizon reproduces exactly the angle calculated by MultiWii (normal it's exactly the same data)
  • The 2 switches are simple and efficient. No need to add more, you can do everything with them.
  • There is no impact on the video quality.
  • The text position is very good. There is no “text outside the screen” we could see in the past with some OSDs.
  • Data that are sent by MultiWii to MIS OSD are richer than what is currently displayed on the OSD. That's is to say there are many rooms for evolution in the future. One future expectation: the MIS OSD GPD could become optional once the GPS will be integrated in MultiWii.
  • One very interesting feature is the ability to log data onto a SD card. It's already a very useful tool to log GPS positions (and to see after a flight the kmz in googlemap). But it could also be a powerful tool to analyse exactly flight parameters. (stick position/gyro data/acc data/motor value/vbat value...). I didn't look for the moment at the log files ability.

Suggestion:
I personally don't use a current probe sensor to control the vitality of the battery, and I rely only on its voltage + flight time even if it's not as accurate.
I know everything can be customisable via a new layout redefinition after a proper file design, but for the default layout I would add a sub menu to activate/deactivate the current probe and the RSSI.

So my first feedback is very positive, if you want an OSD with some MultiWii integration, it's a good choice
Alexinparis is offline Find More Posts by Alexinparis