HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:22 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,272 Posts
Build Log
Jet Legend EDF Hawk / Ron-E-Max 128mm Powered (Maiden Video Added to page #1)

Jet Legend EDF Hawk (5 min 51 sec)

Flight Report:

The plane tracks very well on the runway, doesnít want to leap in the air. So takeoffs are a non- event. Once in the air the plane needed no trim. The ailerons were too sensitive for my liking at 15mm so I cut back to 12mm for the second flight and liked that better. It cruises well at half power, when the power is off it wants to stop in the airÖlol... You can really feel the drag. Itís no Spark; itís a big heavy scale plane you have to keep up the power. Full throttle it sounds very impressive and moves right along, itís not super fast but fast enough to get a good rush. It may also look slower to me due to its size. The Hawk is very stable even in a good wind. That builds your confidence quickly.

Vertical? Wow! I did about 4 or 5 huge verticals that were missed in the video and it will climb straight out with impressive climb rate, I really didnít expect that form a 23.5 pound plane. It rolls straight and true. I did a slow speed fly by with flaps, also missed on the videoÖ. it needs no mix for full flaps and seems to fly pretty slowly. Both my landings were pretty rough, I was fiddling with the flaps and the larger size was making me fly further out than I normally would. I have to work on that. But even with my bad approaches it seems to land fine with full flaps and a little power.

Flight time was set at 4:00 minutes for each flight; first flight took 4400mah out of 6500mah packs. I was holding too much power at cruise. Second flight seemed better; I cut back on the throttle and landed with 3.82 volts per cell. So I think with some work 4:30 to 5:00 will be the flight time. I just need to get a flight routine that will save some mahs.

The Spin controller and lipos were just warm to the touch after each landing it was about 87 degrees out, the wind was pretty strong about 10 to 15 down the runway.

Overall Iím really happy with the plane, you can see it well in the air, its stable, has great power, sounds awesome, lands nice. I was hoping for a bit more flight time, but that could just be me being a bit nervous with a new plane and holding too much power. I know it took me forever to get this one in the air so thanks for your patience, I hope you enjoy the video and there will be more to come soon. Iíll work with my bud and try and get a better video of a full flight for you guys soon.

I'm so excited! today I finally finished my P-51 and can move on to new projects. After working on the P-51 all day, then cleaning up the shop I pulled down the Jet Legend EDF Hawk and my DS-94 HST.

tonight I'm looking over servos and making a list to get an order going, but I have plenty of work to do before the parts show up. I have some mods to do to get the DS-94 HST to fit so I'll start on that tomorrow. Jet Legend installed some really junky stock ducting. I cut that out right away and tossed it.

Sapac supplies nice ducing that comes for Tam if you buy it from Sapac... I got the complete package from Sapac, they were really great to work with and kept me well informed on my order.

I went through the directions and plans... only two things look hard. Getting all the gear doors in and working, this is really important to me I think it will really help keeping the plane clean in the air. The other is the mods needed to fit the DS-94 HST... I have to do surgery to the turbine mounts and the very rear former. They rest is very straight forward.

So I'll get started tomorrow... here's a few pics
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Last edited by Ron101; Oct 27, 2011 at 01:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:30 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,942 Posts
Ron, if you find that the ducts are too small we made molds for inlet ducting designed for the 127mm size requirements. We have the Global Jet Club "Red Bull" scheme Hawk. It came done with the gear doors installed - good thing too, that is a lot of work!

I also have the larger Stefan Volker Hawk that will be the test bed for our new 175mm fan.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:41 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
634 Posts
Nice Ron, Cant wait to see this finished.

Could you weigh everything before you get started? i would like to compare yours to mine.
One thing that i thought was heavy on mine was each elevator, they came in at 200g each.

I managed to do a mod to my gear the other day that saved 2oz per gear. im also keen to electrify mine. as seen in this video....enjoy

Lado retract on T-45 Jet legend (0 min 25 sec)
EDF Crazy is offline Find More Posts by EDF Crazy
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:41 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,272 Posts
Quote:
Nice Ron, Cant wait to see this finished.

Could you weigh everything before you get started? i would like to compare yours to mine.
One thing that i thought was heavy on mine was each elevator, they came in at 200g each.

I managed to do a mod to my gear the other day that saved 2oz per gear. im also keen to electrify mine. as seen in this
Sure I'll weigh everything up today. I like the electric landing gear that's pretty cool! never seen that before on the hawk. I wonder if the just used a servo for the gear door? it sounds like a jack screw or something working the gear door also

What mod did you do to save the weight on the gear?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:02 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,839 Posts
about time!
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:36 PM
Surrey England
Joined Apr 2006
296 Posts
Ron

I'm looking forward to watching this build.

Keep the posts coming.

Mark
markbrown1 is offline Find More Posts by markbrown1
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:29 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
I wonder if the just used a servo for the gear door? it sounds like a jack screw or something working the gear door also

What mod did you do to save the weight on the gear?
You right it does sound like a screw thin running the doors, im sure a servo would work fine tho.
I changed the tyres on my wheel hubs, 9oz of weight to be saved there.
EDF Crazy is offline Find More Posts by EDF Crazy
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:59 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,878 Posts
Hey Ron how long you going to milk this build????????

Looks great! Cant wait to see it fly!
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:01 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,470 Posts
Leave the man alone so he can whip this one up in no time. What we are really waiting for is the big twin F-18 build, this is just a small warm-up.
Arngeir Blakseth is online now Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:04 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,272 Posts
Quote:
about time!
Quote:
Hey Ron how long you going to milk this build????????

Looks great! Cant wait to see it fly!
Hey Pipe down you two..lol
We bought a new house so I had to pack up the house, move the shop, we did tons of work to the new home..Got the old house ready to rent and rented... we work 10 to 12 hours a day, go to the gym, kids do boy scouts & girl scouts, church, my life is nuts.... but I did finish my gaint scale P-51...so there is little time for me most of the time and it drives me nuts. you hit a soft spot with me

I don't even fly right now so I have time to build.... so it will get done when it's done. I have plenty of planes to fly and build to relax... so there

I really don't care how fast or slow it's built as long as it's built well and flies great...
With the economy the way it is I have to work as much as I can so if things get worse I have a good cusion. I'm working right now
Or I should be...lol

here is a pic of the P-51 I just finished
wait until you see how long my F-18 takes to build but it will be nice I promise.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:11 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,839 Posts
wow
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:08 PM
trojan
Alberta Canada
Joined Jan 2009
221 Posts
Hawk

Hi Ron check your rudder fin,before you do the elevator, mine was out a 1/4'' inch from center and i had to take the rudder mount out to fix the problem
trojant28 is offline Find More Posts by trojant28
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:16 PM
trojan
Alberta Canada
Joined Jan 2009
221 Posts
P51

excellent job on the P51 ,that aluminum makes it look fast
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:39 PM
trojan
Alberta Canada
Joined Jan 2009
221 Posts
Hawk

Don't know if this helps Ron but i found that being really careful, some how i still get sticky fingers on the plane and with your nice paint job makes it even harder,just suggesting keep a jar of petroleum jelly handy.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:57 AM
United States, CA, Chino Hills
Joined Jan 2011
1,298 Posts
Great to See

Hello Ron,

Glad you have started your hawk. Your going to like the flight performance and the overall characteristics. Stock Ducting +1 what you said. The doors are the trick. I'm still working on that, just enjoying the flying right now but I need to get on that part. I really like that fan you have, what motor are you going to spool that with??

Well I'll keep on watching your build. The bulkheads will need some work to fit your fan. Well now you pull the stock ducting you're well on your way.

Also when doing your flaps servo install, maybe get your servo where you want it and then double check the scribe line on the flaps for horn/hinge. Your location may differ from the scribe. Yes it will work with offset but I would rather have a nice straight shot.

Well cannot wait for your flight reports, and also your gear door install
jefffassbinder is online now Find More Posts by jefffassbinder
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Align Multicopter Seminars