HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:52 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,555 Posts
Discussion
Dihedral effect, self levling, video

Here is a little experiment I did to see if adding dihedral to my Tricopter would add a self-leveling effect. It did, not huge and not nearly effective as the electronic self leveling solution but it did work.

I had about 7 degrees on each side as shown in the video. I'm sure more dihedral would add more self leveling stability but the4 trade off will be increasing loss of lift as the propellers are more tilted inward.

A little self leveling is a good thing and helps make a copter easier to fly.

Self Leveling Tricopter (2 min 29 sec)
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:38 PM
Dizzying Heights
New Zealand, Southland, Invercargill
Joined Feb 2003
1,063 Posts
I find that there is some self levelling evident in most quads/trikes. On a calm day my quad will drift away with a bank input, the speed builds and the quad comes back to level, it overshoots but the oscillations get smaller every time. I have no dihedral on my quad. The downshot of this is that my quad will always pitch/roll away from a wind gust.
SargeNZ is offline Find More Posts by SargeNZ