HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2011, 03:15 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Well I did the "ride of shame" today. I lost my skis in a crash somewhere on Mt. Millicent in Utah and was taken off the mountain by ski patrol in a toboggan. $1000 of equipment buried under snow and not to be found after 2+ hours of searching

So it looks like I'll be buying those locators for my skis so next time my bindings decide to release prematurely. I'll probably hack the controller for longer range and post a how-to on it as a cheap and easy FPV plane locator.

-Alex
I know it's old-school and low-tech but... powder straps! Saved my skis every time!

Old post I know but just had to reply

Love my IBCrazy V antenna!

Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:34 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
I know it's old-school and low-tech but... powder straps! Saved my skis every time!

Old post I know but just had to reply

Love my IBCrazy V antenna!

Paul
I hate powder straps. They get caught under my skis all the time when they fall out unexpectedly. If I strap them under my boot velcro strap nice and tight the ski becomes a flail when it decouples as it is dragged along by the strap.

Powder straps are too dangerous for my style of skiing. I don't need to be hit in the head with my own ski.

The loc8tor seems to work really well. It gives a nice chirp that can be heard pretty well too

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:56 AM
T#0
Steamboat Springs, CO
Joined Aug 2010
623 Posts
Lol, went skiiing sunday... Didn't fall

I am seriously considering putting my FPV system on my skiis so someone could watch me ski from the bottom. You could tell speed and everything! Hmm... heart rate moniter add on...
PilotKeeg is offline Find More Posts by PilotKeeg
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:44 AM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,455 Posts
I'm at work so I didn't have time to read through this thread but sorry to hear about your loss man. It must hurt, especially at 15 yo.

I was going to sell my old Sky Surfer but if you want it its yours. Has everything you would need to get into the air just need to add your video gear.

Cheers, hope this helps.
Chad
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Jun 01, 2011, 02:53 PM
Joined Dec 2009
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7119 View Post
If you have your video tx on the tail, the batteries will block the video signal on the way home. I've experienced the same problem that you had... but I didn't lose my plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEIF02wpVX0
Yep, I noticed yesterday the same problem.

Also, a couple of months back I lost my quad. a few weeks later I got a phone call from a farmer saying they'd found it.
See, I had put my phone number +"reward"
It worked for me,
But now, in addition to my phone number I use EZOSD and iPhone iTelemetry.
If I lose again, maybe I can GPS track it
hazchem88 is offline Find More Posts by hazchem88
Old Jun 02, 2011, 07:22 PM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
I'm at work so I didn't have time to read through this thread but sorry to hear about your loss man. It must hurt, especially at 15 yo.

I was going to sell my old Sky Surfer but if you want it its yours. Has everything you would need to get into the air just need to add your video gear.

Cheers, hope this helps.
Chad
Hey thanks airbagit i appreciate it. Im not going to take that off your hands though ill let you sell it Thank you very much though
beginner4life is offline Find More Posts by beginner4life
Old Jun 02, 2011, 09:16 PM
Westernport, Md.
Joined May 2010
54 Posts
Sky Surfer

Sounds like what I had happen. Mine got caught in a thermal and left for the wild blue yonder.
dpw21562 is offline Find More Posts by dpw21562
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:58 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
beginner - have you been able to get back in the air yet? I know you had a Zephyr coming.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2011, 01:51 PM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
I was getting my zephyr ready to fly and had almost everything and i started thinking i might want a more stable, easier to fly plane to carry my hundreds of dollars of equipment that i cant afford to replace. So i posted it up for local sale. IF no one takes it soon im just gonna fly it. If someone buys it im going to get something like a TS2
beginner4life is offline Find More Posts by beginner4life
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:10 AM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner4life View Post
Hey thanks airbagit i appreciate it. Im not going to take that off your hands though ill let you sell it Thank you very much though
No worries, if you sell that Zeph I would get a TS2 for sure.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Jun 04, 2011, 02:22 PM
United States, WI, Poynette
Joined Mar 2011
154 Posts
I lost my ez* about 4 weeks ago. I was flying at a friend’s house, and to make a long story short, got lost. I’m going to order another one soon and hopefully not make the same mistake. What I am thinking of doing is putting a voltage regulator on the transmitter to keep the voltage up even if the lipo’s drop to low in voltage to run it. Then with a lost model alarm next to the microphone and with a directional antenna and a small audio amp along with the video receiver I can try to track it down even on foot if it happens again.
KCStar is offline Find More Posts by KCStar
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:59 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,558 Posts
Try looking at FMKit's radio beacon. Works with FRS radios, directional, etc. Very clever idea. I tried finding his website or the thread on RCG, but I can't seem to.

Edit: Ah. Here: http://fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:51 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
1,976 Posts
I like the idea of FMKits beacon but it seems kind of finicky to use. I also lost a plane (Gentle Lady with brushless power) by getting lost. That was about two years ago. Now I fly with an OSD!
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy