Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:13 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
I put the video transmitter and antenna out on the wing tip to to help keep the fuselage from blocking the signal when I'm heading home.
+1
Sorry to hear about the loss.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:18 PM
Stay airborne my friends
USA, TN, Dickson
Joined Nov 2004
998 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I lost my skywalker in December and still haven't found it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Some do, some don't. There are some that are simply pay per message, so you'd
pay nothing at all until you need it, then spend a buck or so to find your plane.
Is there any certain one you would recommend that doesn't require monthly service? Also, I remember hearing some concerns that things like that could cause interference and cause a crash. Has that been proven not to happen? I have heard them mentioned several times but no real world reports of their use.
rc-mike is offline Find More Posts by rc-mike
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:23 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,124 Posts
This is the one I saw discussed last
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1386315

I can't use em, because many of the places I fly (or might go down) have no
cell coverage.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:27 PM
Going above and beyond
Joined Jan 2010
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner4life View Post
Just lost my Easystar.
I looked for 2 hours but didnt find anything.
In total lost about $450
Did you have any contact information outside or inside the plane?
If you make it possible, there is a chance of good Samaritan outcome.

I learned that as a kid when I accidentally dropped my Garfield wallet off a very very tall cliff at the Grand Canyon. Month after I got back, it arrived in the mail. Hiker found it, used my library card to contact the branch and get my address to mail it back. Still had the 20 bucks of vacation money in it.

That or someone might barter for the safe return of your plane. I have heard of that happening too with a farmer.
SupaRC is offline Find More Posts by SupaRC
Last edited by SupaRC; Feb 20, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:30 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Hey guys you got me worried about the battery blocking the signal if its in the way. On my easystar I have the dipole antenna from IBCrazy on the side of the nose and right next to it is my lipo. Is this a terrible idea?
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:33 PM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
I appreciate all of the advice from everyone and especially Alex's generosity.

I think what happened was that my Vtx is about 3 inches behind the camera and batteries which blocked/multipathed the signal on my way home.

Still not sure what went wrong on the DOSD RTH function. The loss of the DOSD is what im most upset about since that was 40% of the planes value right there, and was gonna be used in my next fpv plane.

Unfortunately did not have any contact information on the plane.

It just really stinks because ive sold most of my planes in order to get all of my FPV things. Im 15 so its very hard to get a job, my only income is umpiring in the spring and random jobs at home. My parents only buy me things for Christmas and my birthday

My birthday is coming up and i am getting a Maxi Swift.
beginner4life is offline Find More Posts by beginner4life
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:42 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_io View Post
Hey guys you got me worried about the battery blocking the signal if its in the way. On my easystar I have the dipole antenna from IBCrazy on the side of the nose and right next to it is my lipo. Is this a terrible idea?
It's not great, especially if you're flying on 2.4Ghz video. Less of an issue
at lower frequencies but still better to have the video Tx antenna well clear of
large metallic objects.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:45 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,297 Posts
There could be hundreds of factors contributing to what happened. If there wasn't a clear line of sight between the two antennas, then you had a disrupted fresnel zone causing a weak signal. Now add to that the proximity of the camera and batteries. These act as reflectors and distort the radiation pattern.

In addition the reflections get to the receiver at different times and different angles. This causes destructive interference and will not be easily fixed unless you decided to go with a zig-zag pattern to come home as Ian suggested.

I have actually lost video for 15 seconds once. I was coming back when the video went out. I was doing my best to guess at the plane's attitude, but after 10 seconds I cut the throttle and prepared to take off the glasses when the video started blipping back in. As you know, this feels like an eternity. When the video came back, all I could see was that the plane was in a slight left hand bank and the home arrow was pointing away. I made the turn back home and flew it in zig-zag pattern. That was the last time I used a linear polarized antenna system. Now the only time I use linear is if I'm in an open field or something where multipath problems can't knock out my video.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:54 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,296 Posts
FWIW, I have my antenna mounted on my EZ*'s tailboom. Indeed there is a blindspot in front of the plane.

To alleviate this, I stripped the black case off the antenna, then mounted the antenna element inside the boom, pointed down. There still is a blindspot. But with this arrangement, the blind spot is slightly above as opposed to below the horizon when the plane is level.

In the past, I've mounted the antenna pointed down bellow the belly. It's the best way to reduce VRx blindspots...but not so good for my antenna's durability...lols...
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:20 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
It's not great, especially if you're flying on 2.4Ghz video. Less of an issue
at lower frequencies but still better to have the video Tx antenna well clear of
large metallic objects.

ian
I'm running on 1.3Ghz. I just moved the first third of the wing aiming in front hopefully that helps with any blind spots caused by the battery.
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:49 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,614 Posts
Really sorry for your lost, especially for someone as young as you.

But 'bad' experiences like this will make you stronger in the long run.

Don't give up. Stick with it. This will make you more patient, resilient, resourceful and smarter - stuff you need to be successful in this overly competitive world.

As for losing the plane, study what went wrong and figure out what 'preventive' measures to take so it never ever happens again (lots of good advises already given).
Seriously consider flying nearer and / or invest in this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1386315

BB
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:24 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
beginner4life,

We're kinda low on boards right now or we would be able to do something to alleviate your pain. Consider talking to John or the DOSD+ thread about this (having to get another DOSD+) and you may be surprised as I've seen the community share their spare modules. I'm kinda out of spares myself but perhaps someone there may be able to help. We have also been known to help out those who have unfortunately experiences like yours. No promises but worth a try.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:35 AM
VaZ
TheFlyer_PT
Portugal
Joined Feb 2011
611 Posts
Isn't it better to put the video tx antenna on the edge of a wing? in case of vee antenna, put it forward, in case of omni leave it vertical. Am i right?
VaZ is offline Find More Posts by VaZ
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:19 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
This is actually a really timely post. I'm sorry that you lost your plane....

I was out 2 miles with perfect video - once I made the turn - started to get really shakey. This is with a V mounted on the tail of my E*... I thought it may have had something to do with it being the DPCAV one versus the IBCrazy... either way - it seemed like things got better when in a dive.

I think I understand why now.
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old Feb 21, 2011, 07:01 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,205 Posts
Sorry about your plane, hope you find it. I use a Loc8tor in my planes,

http://www.amazon.com/Loc8Tor-Loc8to.../dp/B0012GMDC4

It doesn't have the range a GPS tracker would, but as long as you have a general idea where the plane was, it should work.

I see the mention about using a GSM, GPS tracker come up every once in a while. Has anyone actually used one successfully? By successfully I mean that it didn't interfere with the other systems on the plane. The only report I have come across was in the Skywalker thread. A guy used a GPS equipped GSM phone (basically the same thing as a GSM GPS tracker) and it caused him to crash. It would definitely be a good backup device but I haven't seen it used successfully.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga