HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:20 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Was it Geek or Mog? We flew with Birdworks Steve this past summer and I'm sure he said Mog. Maybe it was both. Either way the man has some impressive DS skills.
Pretty sure it was called 'Geek' otherwise I used a wrong name in an review for the Aufwind in 1998.

Thomas
wakumann is online now Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:49 AM
knee ligaments are over rated
Melbourne , Outer East .
Joined Dec 2003
2,586 Posts
Surprised nobody brought up the Canterbury sail planes Jazz ( or did I miss it ). It`s what got me started in slopeing back in the 90`s
dingo is offline Find More Posts by dingo
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:34 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,644 Posts
The Jazz Xtreme is on my wanted thread. is that the same or at least related? Regretfully, I know even less about non-US contributions to the cause. I did buy a Phase 6 from Wiltshire Model Centre when I was back in the UK in the 80's. I'm not completely US'centric.

Thomas, that is excellent. Thank You.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:51 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,327 Posts
Don't know if they've ever made it to the US but I'd just like to add the Telink Tempest to this look at EPP flying wings. One of the few aeroplane kits I've ever bought (in reality, I was more sold it rather than me buying it...) but they are IMHO, great - 6'ish span, decent performance and splits into 2 parts for easy transport. Only thing I did was to carbon skin the elevons - they're rather large for just tape covering.

S
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:21 AM
Olympia, WA
Joined Nov 2002
82 Posts
Geek

Birdworks made both a Geek and a MOG. Geek was the smaller version and the MOG (Mother of Geek) was larger. Both planks flew well and were a durable design that could resist many slope "arrivals".

I think the Mark Navarre flying wing was called "The Ratchet" or "Air Ratchet", or something like that.....

Keith
glidrguy is offline Find More Posts by glidrguy
Last edited by glidrguy; Feb 23, 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:49 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,436 Posts
2 from Australia from the beginning of the 90's was the Vector and the Taipan ,the Jazz 48"
from NZ was the extreme so yes its the same wing. Of course a later Australian make is the Duck from Wowings . There was another one that came out about the same time as Klaus Weiss's Vector, but there was controversy over its design origins however the name escapes me just now.I also was flying foam in the late 80's with my plank design called the Sawtooth which went through all those EPS ,EPS EPP L/edge Full EPP.No computer mixing then it was 3 servo's or you'd mix using a sliding tray ,which separated the elevator from the ailerons , but it was only sold to a small number of people. Its now kitted in NZ however with my permission of course. anyway that's my input. Oh almost forgot , another reasonably early entry from down here but I believe it was a l late 90's early 2000 was the Fatboy wing ,although the web page is gone I notice one of the LHS is still selling the kit today.
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Last edited by steve wenban; Feb 23, 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 02:28 PM
I want it to go fast...
San Diego
Joined Sep 2006
797 Posts
I would love to see some history on the boomerang. I had the epp leading edge then blue foam version. Flew like a dream in light lift and incredible durable.
c0dem0nkey is offline Find More Posts by c0dem0nkey
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:34 PM
USA, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2001
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0dem0nkey View Post
I would love to see some history on the boomerang. I had the epp leading edge then blue foam version. Flew like a dream in light lift and incredible durable.
I still keep an all EPP version for just the reasons you say. I'd like to know what made them so much better than many of the others.

Dan
dang is online now Find More Posts by dang
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:25 PM
ReeseProductions.com
Santa Cruz, California USA
Joined Oct 2001
235 Posts
First EPP plane ever built, Bowman's Roughneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH View Post
I found this thread, coincidentally enough, called the History of EPP.
Looks like the first EPP plane was "The Roughneck" designed and built by Pat Bowman.
Does anyone have a pic of the Roughneck? I guess it's not a flying wing but important nonetheless.
I agree, Pat Bowman introducing EPP into our hobby was very important in the evolution of the sport of combat as well as just learning to fly rc gliders in general. Here's a couple of video stills from Pat Bowman's interview in Lift Ticket. He and Joe Wurts share some stories about the early days of EPP while holding the worlds first glider that was ever built using EPP foam. The cleaner looking model in Pat's left hand is what the Ruffneck eventually evolved into, the Comanche.
Dave Reese is offline Find More Posts by Dave Reese
Last edited by Dave Reese; Feb 26, 2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:36 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,497 Posts
Joe came to Lilly's one day with that ruffneck. We were all realllly into combat back then. He got a lot of action that day, everybody wanted a piece of him.
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Last edited by TRISME; Feb 26, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:55 PM
Edmonton Canada
Joined Mar 2007
161 Posts
Any background info about my wing
BarraCuda
Pacific Airborne Models
Dana Point,Ca
6'epp combat wing
Rescued it out of the rafters of the local hobby shop for 1/3 of the original price.

hansdms is offline Find More Posts by hansdms
Last edited by hansdms; Feb 25, 2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:05 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,497 Posts
Made by Bob Kennedy. Larger version of the Protage. I think it was higher aspect than the smaller ones. That one still looks brand new.
Tom
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:10 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansdms View Post
Any background info about my wing
BarraCuda
Pacific Airborne Models
Dana Point,Ca
6'epp combat wing
Rescued it out of the rafters of the local hobby shop for 1/3 of the original price.

A local down here has that wing, and it's also covered in silver. Pretty decent performer and tough to take down, but it's fun to try ...
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:11 AM
Circle Jockey
A Sasquatch took my plane! Tujunga. Ca.
Joined May 2004
2,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno View Post
A Ruffneck has a high wing, and an offset vertical stab. .......
I actually have Bowman's very first original Ruffneck, the first EPP plane built as far as I know. It's the plane Pat and Joe are holding in the photos above. He gave it to me when he was cleaning out his garage before he moved. It's in rough shape but I couldn't let this little piece of history get tossed in the trash.

Dean
D.S. is offline Find More Posts by D.S.
Last edited by D.S.; Feb 28, 2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: it's ruff not rough :)
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:18 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,644 Posts
This is really cool to me! Thanks all for your contributions.
The Roughneck, what a tapeball!!
Add that BarraCuda to my list.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH