HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:56 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieyasu View Post
...This is my first plane using wing bolts, so I'm pretty clueless about the details. Should I be trying to reinforce the balsa around the holes more than hardening things up with some thin CA? When I go to countersink the holes, should I use a patch of glass to strengthen the area, or again no more than thin CA?
Just some thin CA should be enough, although rubbing some epoxy into the area would not hurt. Those thick doublers on both sides of the A ribs are basswood, and they will carry most of the load. Also, you have the band of glass tape that runs chordwise all the way around the center section, and that will reinforce things at the surface.

Quote:
Finally, should I tap threads into the wing hold-down plates in the fuse or do I need to install a blind nut?....
The instructions for this are in a note on the fuselage plans. Notice there is a self-tapping screw provided in the kit to tap the holes in the hold-down plates. A blind nut would not work very well here, since the required angle of the bolts to match the upper surface of the wing makes the holes in the plates not perpendicular to the plates. A threaded insert would work there, but not a blind nut. However, in this case just threading the hole in the plate is enough. Run the self-tapping screw through the hole a couple times, then harden the threads in the plate with thin CA, then run the self-tapping screw through the hole again (AFTER you're certain the CA has cured!) to smooth out the threads. Use the nylon bolts to hold the wing on.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Last edited by Don Stackhouse; Mar 25, 2011 at 10:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:05 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
956 Posts
I've made some great progress, I'm nearly there, but now I need a break before I get frustrated and screw something up. I plan on finishing up by the time the winds die down and real flying season starts around here in a month or two. Stay tuned. I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Don't get frustrated It looks really good.

I finally got started on mine. I have the electric version. I finished the Fuselage and V-Tail. Now I'm going to start on the wing.

I think I have just as much fun building as I do Flying. And if I break something while building,it's really easy to fix. Unlike when I fly and crash

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:35 AM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2010
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
Just some thing CA shoudl be enough, although rubbing some epoxy into the area would not hurt. Those thick doublers on both sides of the A ribs are basswood, and they will carry most of the load. Also, you have the band of glass tape that runs chordwise all the way around the center section, and that will reinforce things at the surface.
Basswood? the doublers sure felt like balsa...either way, they're pretty beefy so hopefully I'm just trying to over-engineer things. I'll see if i can rub some laminating epoxy in since the front hole (wing-side) I made is just a little loose and I don't need it to get looser.

Quote:
The instructions for this are in a note on the fuselage plans. Notice there is a self-tapping screw provided in the kit to tap the holes in the hold-down plates. A blind nut would not work very well here, since the required angle of the bolts to match the upper surface of the wing makes the holes in the plates not perpendicular to the plates. A threaded insert would work there, but not a blind nut. However, in this case just threading the hole in the plate is enough. Run the self-tapping screw through the hole a couple times, then harden the threads in the plate with thin CA, then run the self-tapping screw through the hole again (AFTER you're certain the CA has cured!) to smooth out the threads. Use the nylon bolts to hold the wing on.
Of course! Almost everything is on the instructions sheets, so I forget to look on the plans. I was just thinking I should check them in the shower this morning, then forgot in my rush to get to work :/

I'm a little surprised that nylon is hard enough to self-tap into the ply (though they feel pretty close in hardness). Threaded inserts are a new piece of hardware to me, I'll have to look it up for future reference.

Thanks again, Don. Your help is greatly appreciated.
ieyasu is offline Find More Posts by ieyasu
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:02 AM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2010
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hog2soar View Post
Don't get frustrated It looks really good.

I finally got started on mine. I have the electric version. I finished the Fuselage and V-Tail. Now I'm going to start on the wing.

I think I have just as much fun building as I do Flying. And if I break something while building,it's really easy to fix. Unlike when I fly and crash

Eddie
Thanks for the encouragement. As usual, I know where all the little mishaps are, but no one else can see 'em Happens with anything you make. I understand about building. I like to make all kinds of things (and I need variety or I will go nuts eventually). In fact, despite my earlier statements, I'm already itching for the next big plane project :-P I wish I could find a full-house kit that isn't bagged epoxy, but that's a topic for another thread.

I was rather surprised to find flying to be easy enough that I wasn't crashing all the time after a month or so, then climbing in thermals after only a few months. I don't have the video gaming background many of my friends have, so my thumbs are dumb compared to them. But hand them an x-acto knife and they hardly know what to do with it

I'm getting good enough that I don't crash often, but haven't flown enough yet to have any bad crashes. Knock on...balsa?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 01:46 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
956 Posts
As usual, I know where all the little mishaps are, but no one else can see 'em Happens with anything you make.I'm getting good enough that I don't crash often, but haven't flown enough yet to have any bad crashes. Knock on...balsa?[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about the mishaps. I've got a couple small ones on the fuselage already.

I don't crash very often anymore either. However I've had my share of lawn darts

When I first started flying DLG's I always crashed. I got better at fixing it than I did flying it. Now I can catch it when landing( most of the time).

I just finished converting my beater DLG to electric, and I have a new DLG sitting in the box waiting to be built as well as finishing the Chrysalis. And I'm already thinking about a 3 meter.

Cheers, Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:04 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,958 Posts
Quote:
...I'm a little surprised that nylon is hard enough to self-tap into the ply (though they feel pretty close in hardness). ...
No. Not the nylon screws. Those are for holding the wing on when you're done. The kit includes a METAL self-tapping screw to cut the threads.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:33 AM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2010
184 Posts
Quote:
No. Not the nylon screws. Those are for holding the wing on when you're done. The kit includes a METAL self-tapping screw to cut the threads.
LOL, Oh. That's what that thing's for :-P Some day I may learn to read and stop bugging you with all these dumb questions...
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:43 AM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2010
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hog2soar View Post
I just finished converting my beater DLG to electric, and I have a new DLG sitting in the box waiting to be built as well as finishing the Chrysalis. And I'm already thinking about a 3 meter.

Cheers, Eddie
Yes, I've been eyeing 3 meter planes too. But so big I've got this old really poorly built 1.5m 'Ariel' which is just so small and lively feeling when I carry it out to the field. I'd love to build another small one, but all the kits these days are ugly Good excuse to start kit bashing, maybe.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:20 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,958 Posts
Quote:
... Some day I may learn to read and stop bugging you with all these dumb questions...
The only truly "dumb" questions are ones that you SHOULD have asked, but DIDN'T !
Old Mar 26, 2011, 02:18 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
931 Posts
Great build-log!

Thanks for that build-log, good pictures and progression of steps. I've been thinking of getting the 59" Chrysalis Hand Launch so this has been a good look for me to see some of the same kind of thinking that I'm sure will be found with that plane also.

Adios - Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Apr 11, 2011, 06:43 PM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2010
184 Posts
After a nice break, I started working on my Chrysalis 2m again! I spent a leisurely couple hours bending wire and gluing the hatch latch into place. I made it mostly as per plans, but with my own plastic tube (I already threw out the excess pushrod tubing) and my own stiffer steel wire (I didn't like the flimsy stainless steel provided). Due to lack of original parts I was trying to think of a way to use magnets to hold the hatch down instead, but I couldn't think of a way that was actually nicer than stock.

After several tries I got a good wire bend and used that. I might enlarge the opening in the fuse former for the wire to go in so it's got a larger target cone to fall into. As is, it takes some fiddling before the wire slides home.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:36 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,828 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Chrysalis came with three different tail options ("T", "V" or "polyhedral V")?

Or am I thinking of another bird?
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Apr 12, 2011, 01:00 AM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2010
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Chrysalis came with three different tail options ("T", "V" or "polyhedral V")?

Or am I thinking of another bird?
It does have V and conventional options, but no T-tail. At least not on the plans. I have no idea what a "polyhedral V" tail would be...
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:19 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,958 Posts
It has a polyhedral wing. We are working on a four servo, flaps + ailerons wing.

It can be built with a V-tail, or a conventional tail. It has never had a T tail.

I have built quite a few T-tails of various sizes, and have established that although they look cool, in practice on airplanes this size they have no significant aerodynamic advantages, and have a distinct propensity for breaking off and/or twisting off tail booms. I do have at least one T-tailed model in design at the moment, but that's because it's a scale model of a full-scale T-tailed aircraft.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:24 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,828 Posts
I saw this option while I was window shopping on the NEsail site, but I can't find it now. Imagine a standard, yet shallow V tail; now take the tips and bend them up a little steeper, creating a polyhedral.

I'm not sure if this was the Chrysalis or some other bird, but the Chrys is the only sailplane I can think of that offers the option of different tails.

And ieyasu, you're absolutely right, I should have said conventional tail, not T, which has the h-stab at the top of the vertical. My bad.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel