HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member
Canada
Joined Dec 2004
107 Posts
Discussion
Fried MK ESC BL-Ctrl 1.2?

I had a mishap and now one of my motors doesn't chim or move at all when starting. All the others seem to work fine. Under MK Tools there is a note "Missing BL-Ctrl:2 which is the one I'm having issues with. Looking for some guidance as to what to do/look at next, Is the ESC fried, fixable? . Thanks.
astelz is offline Find More Posts by astelz
Last edited by astelz; Feb 19, 2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Update
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:09 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
try changing the the fets transistors in the bl i read they are cheap. do a goggle search on it.
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member
Canada
Joined Dec 2004
107 Posts
Thanks, looking into them.
I guess the chances of the capacitor being the issue is low since it's the easiest thing to change.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,763 Posts
Connect the dead BL to MK-tools and see if you get anything in console.
There's text and blink codes of the red led. Does it get power at all? What do green/red leds look like?
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member
Canada
Joined Dec 2004
107 Posts
In the BL-CTRL Erros (14) window in the second column 1st row I have "127", all other colums/row have a 0
In the BL-CTRL found (15) window "2" is not found (the one at issue).

The LEDs are not consistent.

The below are all after just plugging in the battery

Once: I have both the Green and Red LED solid on after a while.
The next time: all have solid green.
Another time, no LED on number 2 all others are green
Right after solid green (a quick red flash at the beginning, a second later another red flash, then solid green).
Another time: didn't catch the esc LEDs but my MK LED strips started flashing quickly.

Hopefully this makes some sense.
Thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,763 Posts
You need to take out the BLCtrl from distribution board or whatever you have it in and test it separately. You connect the side connector to MK-USB and look at debug messages in tools.

If you're getting inconsistent led lights on power up, maybe you got a power trace broken / loose somewhere? check your soldering etc..
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:46 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
You need to take out the BLCtrl from distribution board or whatever you have it in and test it separately. You connect the side connector to MK-USB and look at debug messages in tools.

If you're getting inconsistent led lights on power up, maybe you got a power trace broken / loose somewhere? check your soldering etc..
This is very good advice

The green LED should never go out when there's power, so if that's happening, you've almost certainly got a broken connection. If you're using the MK distribution board, then I practically guarantee you have a bad connection. I really hate those things.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member
Canada
Joined Dec 2004
107 Posts
Yes I've got the HEXA distribution board.

As for connecting the ESC to the MK-USB is it down as shown at the end of this page
http://www.mikrokopter.com/ucwiki/en...oftware_update

Is there a reasonable way to remove the ESC from the distribution board without having to disassemble everything? (Got the HEXA used so I'm new at this).
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,763 Posts
Nope. You gotta desolder the caps and I2C and pull it out. One of the reasons standard MK distroboard is kinda useless. But before you take it out, why dont you soldering etc to see if theres some power/ connection issue.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member
Canada
Joined Dec 2004
107 Posts
Do you mean just resolder the motor connections, IC2 connections, and capacitor?
Checking out mk tools, I now have no errors, all green lights on all the ESC.
The one motor still doesn't chime or power up.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,763 Posts
Yes. You resoldered and no more errors? But motor still doesn't power up? Try another motor? etc.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member
Canada
Joined Dec 2004
107 Posts
I haven't re soldered yet. I'll try that out tomorrow and then will try swapping motors as well in case that's the issue.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:53 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Here is some info on connecting the bl direct to MKusb.
When I updated my bls I had to connect the ribbon cable to the pins on the side of the mkUSB.
http://www.mikrokopter.us/index.php?...42.0;topicseen
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member
Canada
Joined Dec 2004
107 Posts
So after removing the ESC from the distribution board (bit of a pain) I couldn't communicate with the ESC in mktools. Upon closer examination one of the traces on the esc has been burnt (had to be the side not visible when it was installed) so at least I have confirmation something's wrong, I'll see if I can solder a wire to bypass the burnt trace and try MKtools again.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member
Canada
Joined Dec 2004
107 Posts
I replaced the ESC and all is good now. Thanks for the help guys. Reading more up on them it seems they aren't that sturdy. I've never fried an esc on a Heli so this is a little disturbing.