HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined Feb 2009
27 Posts
I run the 8” Blades on 2S.
From my feeling it makes not so much difference between using 8” or 9” on that motor.
I have the feeling that on 8” the motor has a better response characteristic on throttle stick.

Maybe I have to switch back to 9” Blades if I crash a few times and the weight of the plane is increasing.

I use three flight modes:

Mode1: No Vector no VPP
Mode2: Vector no VPP
Mode3: Vector and VPP

If I use the vector ore not depends on the flight maneuver.
At some rolling maneuvers and snaps I do not like the vector, because the movement of the plane looks a little bit strange.

The bracing and the ball links are a copy of RJ’s plane. But the plane it self is totally different design.

I had the idea to make my own design. On the pictures you can see Extra 300 Prototype Version 8.
It's not so easy to design a plane which is flying well at all manoeuvres at high speed and low speed.
But now this should be the final version. That version flys really really well.
Next step is to bring it into CAD :-) Cutting and milling by hand is not that what I like most ;-)

John is right. If you crash the balls are popping off the link. I use the ball links of a T-REX 250.
On my previous planes I have used one servo for vector and rudder and I damaged a lot of servos if I touched the ground too hard.

The extra servo makes the trimming easier and you can use a smaller servo on vector and rudder. That means I has only advantages and no disadvantage
If the vector is linked to the rudder you have to use a bigger servo. That means weight is nearly the same.

Matthias
21Matthias21 is offline Find More Posts by 21Matthias21
Last edited by 21Matthias21; Jan 12, 2012 at 02:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:40 AM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
matthias,

It appears that you are using two different types of ball links, you mentioned the t-250.

Which one is which? For the VPP ball link, and the vector ball link?

thanks, aerolite
aerolite is online now Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:15 AM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Wow, nice job Matthias. That looks great!

We use the T-rex 250 ball links all around. Haven't had an issue with them, and have never had them come apart, even in crashes. The links should be too tight to let that happen. I've also used 450 links on ailerons and they work great as well, just a little heavier.

Running an extra servo on vectoring is nice, but in my experience the only real reason to do it is to make trimming and setup easier. Our airplanes are light enough that we don't mind the extra weight and we find it worth it to simplify setup and be able to run pushrods on every control. On my first two TVVPP airplanes I coupled the vectoring to the rudder servo with pull-pull lines and never had a problem or damaged the servo. It was just a little more work to keep well maintained.

That said, I don't use any smaller servos with the two-servo setup. I use the S3154's either way. If you use two smaller servos, obviously there's no penalty.

A TVVPP plane doesn't have to be any heavier than an unmilled, normally setup version of the same airplane.
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Feb 2009
27 Posts
Hi aerolite,

I use only one type of 250 ball links. On Vector, Aileron, Rudder and Elevator

Matthias
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:24 AM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Matthias21 View Post
Hi aerolite,

I use only one type of 250 ball links. On Vector, Aileron, Rudder and Elevator

Matthias
thanks for the quick answer. aerolite
aerolite is online now Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Feb 2009
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot View Post
and never had a problem or damaged the servo.
Hi RJ,

with your skills on flying you have the advantage that you do not crash so often and hard into the ground like other people... and me

Matthias
Last edited by 21Matthias21; Jan 12, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:50 PM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Haha I wish I could say that, but I have crashed those TVVPP airplanes quite a few times... now I just know how to build them strong enough not to break often.

RJ
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:35 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
640 Posts
Hey Guys, Anyone still into flying 4D I have been having a lot of fun with it and have recently moved on to designing a TVRP mount. Just installed and flew it with an axi 2203-40 and D47 on pitch and Vector control. When available on the site it will come with all hardware including the ball links and extra carbon flat strips and kevlar to mount to your airframe, no electronics... Thanks to all for the inspiration!

John
xtremeRCpilot is offline Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Feb 2011
19 Posts
Extra 300 4D Indoor - Le Creusot 2012 - Maxime SELLEM (2 min 13 sec)
Max Se is offline Find More Posts by Max Se
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:08 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
640 Posts
That answers my question!
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:56 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
640 Posts
Hey Max, very nice flying! Question, when you do the reverse flat spins are you using rudder only and left or right? I need alot of practice on this!
Thanks and please post more awesome videos!
John
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Feb 2011
19 Posts
The reverse flat spin works better in the reverse sense of clockwise, so you have to put left rudder upside down or rigth rudder in positive with full trottle back, don't touch anything else.
Max Se is offline Find More Posts by Max Se
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:58 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
640 Posts
Cool Thanks Max, You make it look effortless, I know this didnt come easy I dunk mine in all the time but the mamo is easy to fix. I just need to find the right batteries because the ones Im using are junk after two flights including the higher priced TP 65c batts.
Thanks
Jphn
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Feb 2007
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeRCpilot View Post
Hey Guys, Anyone still into flying 4D I have been having a lot of fun with it and have recently moved on to designing a TVRP mount. Just installed and flew it with an axi 2203-40 and D47 on pitch and Vector control. When available on the site it will come with all hardware including the ball links and extra carbon flat strips and kevlar to mount to your airframe, no electronics... Thanks to all for the inspiration!

John
Just let us know when you have them and what website.... i know a few people anxiously waiting to try this on some unusual designs.......
Txskywriter is offline Find More Posts by Txskywriter
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:09 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
640 Posts
You can go to www.xtremefoamies.com and it will be under TVRP Mount. I only have the non thrust vectored mounts available but will have the new ones soon! Thanks for the interest!\

John