HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:20 PM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
Now I know what Roland and Mong feel like. Hurricane Sandy ripped up Long Island pretty bad. within 1 block of my home, 9 trees are down.

One of them in my back yard. 70ft Oak tree took out the pole, transformer, power lines, and all telecommunication lines (Verizon, cablevision and regular phone).

I was about to go out to remove a propane tank when I doubled back in to get a wrench. That is when it fell. Just missing the deck I would have been on. Wife and daughter saw it fall and screamed, 'Frank, Oh my God It is Falling!!!' I ran up stairs just as the power went out.

Had to call the fire dept 5 times to report a fire in aa neighbor's yard from the downed lines. The tree was glowing red from the line being draged and stripped through it and was risking of a fire. Luckily it never caught fire but the bushed below did several times.

Luckily everyone is safe and no damage to the home. Just need to wait for power to be restored.

I know I said I wanted the full Roland experience when I purchased a CX2 but Now I can say I HAVE THE FULL EXPERIENCE!!!

Frank
Frank, by 100% we can understand your feelings. Mong and me know exactly what you are taking about. The same way we are releaved that you and your Family made it throug unharmed. Our thoughts where with you all that night long, even though I coldn't reply more early for computer troubles.....
Might we never ever have a similar experience again......

Mong & Roland
KINETIC is offline Find More Posts by KINETIC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:01 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,117 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more.

Thanks for the support and understanding. Makes me proud to be apart of this R/C community with all the support being shown. Really a great bunch.

I was lucky to find a gas station local to my home where I only needed to wait for an hour to get gas. We were limited to $50 worth. There are photos of several tankers waiting to get into port. Should be better 4-7 days from now before the gas lines ease and start to go back to normal. Most gas lines are 2 -3 hours long with no promise of getting gas.

I am lucky to live more centrally. The shorelines are devastated. There are photos on TV showing areas where fire has ravaged entire neighborhoods (100+ homes) and the storm surge wiped out shoreline communities. Other than no power, I have nothing like that in my area. Sure, you cannot go 400 ft without seeing a tree down and many of the ones across roads have been removed but at least our home is intact and we will have somewhere to spend the coming holidays.

So far food is still available and stores and restaurants are open so you have options. Lunch is interesting since EVERYONE is going out for lunch and it takes most of your lunch hour just to get food but even that is subsiding rather quickly in my area.

Just hoping they return power before the freezing temps come and they are promising a NorEaster storm (40-50 mph winds and rain - some snow north and west) on Wed or Thurs.

Definitely something to be grateful for......

Thank you all for your well wishes and concern. I am safe and warm at my dad's since he has power and heat.

Sincerely,
Frank Nisita
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:42 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2005
5,234 Posts
We are having weather blast here in Oregon this fall. (Sorry East coast,I feel for You)
It was 70F and 0 wind all day.
I have tested C2 with both my antennas INSIDE of the canopy.Flew her as far as I could see.
Worked like a charm,no signal losses.
Radio 2.4 G Futaba 10C full range receiver R617 FS.
Yuri
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:46 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,474 Posts
Just be aware that you may find issues with that antenna placement when flying with many others in a big contest. Of course your mileage may vary.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:14 PM
Tom Knudtson
Redlands, CA
Joined Aug 2004
603 Posts
Bell crank and control rod weight?

I would like to know how much weight I could save by removing the bell crank and control rods from a Concept.

The MoBros remove the bell crank and control rods. Have you ever weighed them?

I'm thinking of spring-pull controls for the Concept. I know the recommendation is 0.037" steel rods, but I'm thinking that one of the few advantages of a weak launch is that I can use spring-pull. Down at the low altitudes where I fly, the thermals are weaker and a lighter plan helps.

If I could shave 3 grams from the tall I might be able to drop 9 grams in the pod for a total of 12 grams =0.4 oz.

Tom
TomK is offline Find More Posts by TomK
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:47 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,474 Posts
I'll root around and see if I can find the bellcrank system I pulled from one of my Concepts Tom.

It may be tomorrow before I get back with the info though...

Charlie
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:54 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,805 Posts
I'll check tonight too, Tom. But I can say that removing the bell cranks and running .020 wire in teflon tubing results in zero weight penalty.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:38 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
I'll check tonight too, Tom. But I can say that removing the bell cranks and running .020 wire in teflon tubing results in zero weight penalty.
Wow, really Finchy?

The weight of two 0.020 wire rods and two teflon tubes is the same weight as 4 lengths of string, and the bellcrank system? I would check you scale man

But, if there is a little extra weight being carried around, solid pushrods do give a certain sense of security even though I have never strayed from Rolands pull/pull system.

Curious on the weight differences though.

M
FLY F3B is online now Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:53 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,805 Posts
I hate it when I lie...

What I meant to say was that the change out from bellcranks to thin pushrods did not result in any nose weight having to be added.

Bellcranks/pushrods/kevlar string weight about 1.4 g

.020 pushrods and teflon tubing weigh about 4.4 g.

so the weight does increase by about 3 g. That's about 0.1 oz and I must not have noticed the difference on the scale i use to weigh my planes. But that weight is more evenly distributed along the boom and not all concentrated at the tail end.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:45 PM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
I hate it when I lie...

What I meant to say was that the change out from bellcranks to thin pushrods did not result in any nose weight having to be added.

Bellcranks/pushrods/kevlar string weight about 1.4 g

.020 pushrods and teflon tubing weigh about 4.4 g.

so the weight does increase by about 3 g. That's about 0.1 oz and I must not have noticed the difference on the scale i use to weigh my planes. But that weight is more evenly distributed along the boom and not all concentrated at the tail end.
However, about 90% of the weight would distributed behind CG, + all the weight of the glue to fix the tubes inside the boom.....
roughly calculated. the effective weight increase behind CG would be ~3.8g + an extra nose compensation of ~2,1g resulting in total weight increase of ~ 5.9g.

In case of Tom's mentioned Spring system, about 0.6g spring weight would be located at the rear end behind CG which would almost equal the weight for the Bellcranks and at least one short wire rod. In total, an effective weight reduction by using the spring system would be neclectable but bringing back all the disadvantages of the spring system.

Roland
KINETIC is offline Find More Posts by KINETIC
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:12 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,914 Posts
No worries Finchy. If it had worked out that you confirmed that the rod system weighed less than the pull/pull system, I was going to ask to borrow your scale. Does it go up to 225....lbs?

M
FLY F3B is online now Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:32 PM
Tom Knudtson
Redlands, CA
Joined Aug 2004
603 Posts
Wow! 1.4 grams for the bell cranks and push rods is half of what I was guessing.

One of the reasons I started thinking along this "light weight" approach is that I weighed a Concept fuse + boom+ vertical fin and it was 35 grams. That's the same weight of an early Stobel fuse I have, but without the mounted vertical fin. (I think that Stobel fuses have gotten heavier with time, probably to make them stronger for the high launchers.)

And the Concept wing is also pretty light; 139 grams with RDS (same as a Stobel).

So I was thinking I might be able to get the Concept AUW down to 8.6-8.7 ounces like some of the early Stobels.

But I think that the early Stobels had smaller and therefore lighter horizontal and vertical stabilizers and that is probably a lot of the difference.
TomK is offline Find More Posts by TomK
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:16 AM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Just for fun! setting 1080p...
Concept (0 min 27 sec)
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:22 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,474 Posts
Cool Donnie, Thank You for posting!

Charlie
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:38 PM
up from the skies
United States, CO, Fort Garland
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Just finished installing push rods on #2-cx2. Thank you G-man and John Lovins for the materials.install went good
Only 30mph winds are stopping me from going out to fly
Sure feels heavier now, took more weight in nose to balance than with it needed with pull pull lines, but I was expecting that and it's all good
Laters homies
Tom
Tmfury is offline Find More Posts by Tmfury