HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:31 AM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Ad (lta) 2012-001

For safety reasons, I recommend for all strong throwers to add an easy to accomplish reinforcement to all CX2- and CX3 fuses as shown in Pic1.
The reason for that is a breakage of Jon's pod at an very unexpected place.

Even though, it seems to be not very likely that a breakage will occur at this place, it has happened and it could happen again under certain circumstances like cutting the breakout too large and /or continued stress during throw or perhaps a high energetic force impulse during a bad landing. All of that can lead to a sudden catastrophic failure, which would be typical for a failure of a 100%carbon structure.
All newly build CX2 and CX3 pods automatically will have a necessary reinforcement in place, as an addition to the list of constant improvements......

Roland
KINETIC is offline Find More Posts by KINETIC
Last edited by KINETIC; Oct 26, 2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:49 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,857 Posts
Boy that's a cluttered workbench

Thanks for looking at this Roland.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:58 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,245 Posts
Was that finite element analysis done in SolidWorks?
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:19 AM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,137 Posts
So let me ask since its being discussed. This would apply equally to all DLG's I would guess.

What is the optimal shape for the wire hole in fuse to wing area???

Every time I drill this hole I worry I am doing it wrong, but soo far no exploding fuse.
I do an oval just big enough for a servo connector and I run the long end of the oval parrallel to the fuse.

I cant figure out where the forces are greatest and which way to orient the hole for max strength.

But to be honest, after Jon blew his up I have worried about throwing anything as hard as I can.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Jun 2011
3,245 Posts
The most important things are to keep it small and avoid sharp corners at all costs. Oval is a good shape.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:05 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
would running some carbon tow in the corner running the fibers front to back where indicated suffice?

I have some 12K looking for a use.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:56 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,513 Posts
It is my personal opinion that very few people will need this mod. The only hard part I see is figuring out who those guys are before something breaks. I will not be reinforcing mine until I have one fail but that is because I have not had any issues with my fuselages and the strength of my launch. I will however start including a check for cracks in my preflight routine just in case. Now if I were to let a guy like Donnie throw my CX2 hard, I might be concerned.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:01 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
I am the other way. If a couple of 3-5in pieces of tow only weight a few grams then I will have the piece of mind to know that I cannot break it.

It also might reduce the possibility of long term stress fatigue. May not fail now but could eventually.

I guess looking is the least one can do.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:12 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
It is my personal opinion that very few people will need this mod. The only hard part I see is figuring out who those guys are before something breaks. I will not be reinforcing mine until I have one fail but that is because I have not had any issues with my fuselages and the strength of my launch. I will however start including a check for cracks in my preflight routine just in case. Now if I were to let a guy like Donnie throw my CX2 hard, I might be concerned.

Charlie
Yes Charlie I will be more than happy to launch for you. Glad to see Roland acted so fast which is one of the things that makes the Concept so great.
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:34 PM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwill6 View Post
Was that finite element analysis done in SolidWorks?
Yes
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINETIC View Post
Yes
Do you just model it as an isotropic material or is there a way to model composites that I'm not aware of?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:05 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
I am the other way. If a couple of 3-5in pieces of tow only weight a few grams then I will have the piece of mind to know that I cannot break it.

It also might reduce the possibility of long term stress fatigue. May not fail now but could eventually.

I guess looking is the least one can do.

Frank
Certainly nothing wrong with that.

Charlie
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:06 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone View Post
Yes Charlie I will be more than happy to launch for you. Glad to see Roland acted so fast which is one of the things that makes the Concept so great.
Donnie
Thank you Donnie! I hope to make it through the contest like I did at the TS but if it gets bad too quickly I'll be forced to ask for help...

Charlie
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:30 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,714 Posts
Donnie threw mine and Gary Jensen no problem. I would never make a hole that big for the plug however.
rcgeorge is online now Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:54 AM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwill6 View Post
Do you just model it as an isotropic material or is there a way to model composites that I'm not aware of?
Well, Yes! That's the ONLY choice to do it in a reasonable time to satisfy the problem with Jon..... Otherwise it would take days for my PC to catch up with my needs......

Yes, it is possible, if you know how to do.......

Howeveer, for the task of seeing just how forces are flowing, an isothrophic material is just fine and safes eternities of computing....

Roland
Last edited by KINETIC; Oct 28, 2012 at 01:29 AM. Reason: typo