HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:51 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
I changed out the servo leads and even switched the connections on the RX. The twitching is still there but not enough to cause me much concern and the offending servo buzzes like crazy (I know digitals buzz, but this one is turned up to 11). I'm going to spend some time tomorrow flying it and see how that goes before cutting into the wing.
What radio are you using?
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:54 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,637 Posts
Futaba 8FG.

Update: I went out today and it flew fine for about 30 min. Then it went wonky on me again. I think I'm going to just change out the servo.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:05 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,369 Posts
The only other suggestion I would have Jon is to assign a different channel for that servo and see if is a Futaba issue or not. Can I safely assume that you are not using the "high speed" function?
Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:10 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,637 Posts
I have switched the wing servo channels (1 and 6) with the same servo showing problems so I don't think it's the rx (617). I'm on board with you all in hoping that its a connection or radio issue because (1) it's odd that it worked ok for 30 min before recentering to a new zero that was 1/4 inch from the previous one and (b) I really don't want to cut into the wing again.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:02 PM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Helmet Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
I have switched the wing servo channels (1 and 6) with the same servo showing problems so I don't think it's the rx (617). I'm on board with you all in hoping that its a connection or radio issue because (1) it's odd that it worked ok for 30 min before recentering to a new zero that was 1/4 inch from the previous one and (b) I really don't want to cut into the wing again.
Sorry for being late, we have been too busy for cleaning up and trying to catch up with all the lost time. I have emailed all the necessary repair info and for those interested, attached below.
Just trying to make the first wing for Gary J., our quite new Vacuum pump started burning inside due to too much H2O which might have unnoticed leaked in...... Total damage only from that exceeds 6K......

Just ready with all the mess and missed by the last weeks Typhoon, the next one is on his way to hit more precise this time by about Thursday this week....
And the next one is already launched... The are lined up now like on a pearl necklace

Needless to say that it looks right now in my head similar to the burned cylinder and the "helmet fire" is getting slowly out of control, just overwhelmed by the ongoing climate change, we not only can see but feel very drastic these days.

Roland
KINETIC is offline Find More Posts by KINETIC
Last edited by KINETIC; Aug 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:52 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,637 Posts
Thanks for the info Roland!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:39 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
Oh man, this one is turning 90 degree to hit Taiwan...Be safe!

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:55 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,094 Posts
Roland, best of luck with the crazy weather and keep yourself and your family safe, most importantly.

Finally got a chance to write about my first flights with the CX2. In 2 words - LOVE IT.

I only got to fly it for about a half an hour and then for a full day in a contest before having surgery to remove my appendix and about 1 ft of intestines. So now I get to stare at a great plane longing for the day when I can fly again.

I followed Roland's directions to a 'T' and went with his throws. Compared to what I am use to , they are less but not in a bad way. I find this plane even with less throw than I tend to like to be very precise. It is so grooved and precise that it feels like I have such a precise moving plane that it is like comparing a CNC router to a free hand one. No comparison on the preciseness of its movements. It has a very predictable roll, yaw and pitch rate. I think I will leave it for now since it seems to make my flying better than what t was.

Launching this plane IS like it is on rails. I did not perceive any tail wag on launch. It just finds a groove and goes. I had setup a launch preset but having so little time on it that I ended up taking it out. With where the Cg is (and I tried my best to hit tie 84mm mark) the plane just rotates up nicely and goes up straight with no intervention.

Flying is a pleasure. I was anticipating a low wing to be twitchy and over-indicate but on the contrary. It flies very easily hands off. Although my lauch height compared to my LightSpeed seems similar, I do feel that my duration is longer by 10-20 seconds. The larger wing chord is helping here and yet I find that the plane easily speeds up and has some nice legs. At the same time, it can slow to a crawl and give up nothing. To me, it seems that when you slow it down too far, all it does is hesitate and then it goes again as if you had a hiccup. No real altitude loss, just a momentary pause is all I can recall it doing.

Something I wasn't expecting and tell me if this happens to you or it was a fluke thing for me. When the plane flies, it is smooth as silk. It finds a groove or a set of tracks and follows them When it is near lift, it seems to wag its tail like to say, ' yo dude. Its over there. H-E-L-L-O!!! Lift is near by!!!' It still does the typical pitch and roll depending if you run into lift with some part of the plane. If lift is off to the side, it does indicate very nicely when a yaw response when in the presence of lift is expected.

There is something that is a bit bothersome. It makes NO NOISE on launch!!! I couldn't believe it. I was a bit thrown off NOT having some noise come from a launch. I had to ask myself several times, Did I let it go??? Sure enough, it was way up there.

All I can say is this plane flies great, flies hands off great, indicates lift with predictability and flies very precisely with the throws Roland recommends.

Can't wait for more time on it in the future. This is a super great plane to fly. Everyone who likes a hands' off type plane will love this plane. I think the only way this plane would not do well in a contest is if the guy at the sticks gets in the way. It just wants to broadcast all sorts of thermal data precisely and fly well.

Thank Roland for a wonderful plane.

Above all, Keep youa nd your family safe during these difficult conditions.

Sincerely,
Frank N.
Fly2High is online now Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Aug 20, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:37 AM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
Take care Roland. We are rooting for you.

Good report Frank. Get well soon.
danfitz is offline Find More Posts by danfitz
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:18 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2011
267 Posts
Can someone tell me how you actually order a CX2 - cannot find on the HKM website - thanks.
NZ7C is offline Find More Posts by NZ7C
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:45 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ7C View Post
Can someone tell me how you actually order a CX2 - cannot find on the HKM website - thanks.
Send Roland a PM.

Send a private message to KINETIC
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:34 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,451 Posts
Broken Hinge

Anybody else having trouble with broken hinges?

My rudder was not centering, so I retensioned my control strings. That didn't help. Then I checked the servo. It is a lesser quality servo that came with the plane. It has a tiny amount of slop; not as tight as the metal gear BB servo on the elevator. But, it centers fairly good, not enough to explain the centering problem. My next thought is that maybe there is play in the belcrank bearing. I flew this morning, the rudder was crummy, so I gave the plane a closer look and discovered that the hingeline on the rudder is broken. It is a very thin line, and not obvious at first with my eyesight. It should be an easy repair with clear tape.

However, I also tested the elevator and that hingeline is scored (light color) and visually appears like it could be ready to let loose, so I'll tape it too. I have had the plane about six months, with a modest amount of flight time. Loosing a rudder in the air may not be too big of an issue, but loosing the elevator.........

The aileron hinges are taped differently than the rudder/elevator, and they are still snug.

Roland does a masterful job designing and manufacturing. There planes are beautiful and I love my blue & green babies, but they do require some TLC.
Launch-1 is online now Find More Posts by Launch-1
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:01 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,369 Posts
I'll have a look before I box them up for the team select but as of now, I have not noticed any rudder or elevator hinge failure...

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
Just checked mine and they are both good.

I have had this problem with the Stobel though. My preferred tape for this easy fix is 1/2" 3M Blenderm.
danfitz is offline Find More Posts by danfitz
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:49 AM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Hinge fix

1st step: tape the hinge line by a ~ 10mm wide Scotch tape for proper fit.

2nd step: use a clear, high elastic silicon (acid type) and apply thin into the hinge groove using a tooth pick or similar. Right after, remove any extend with the round end of a toothpick till just a thin film of silicon remains inside the hinge.
Let the silicon set for a few hours. After the repair. the schotch tape can be removed, or remained for safety .

Roland
KINETIC is offline Find More Posts by KINETIC