HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:31 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
I was going to suggest kite stores. I got some Kevlar string from them. Not sure if they have the right weight though.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:49 PM
I added lift to my stable!
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
I know alot of guys use Kevlar . . . .

I had a Horizontal on a Vandal come loose mid-flight the other day. True, the Vandal is probably 5-6 years old, but the line that seperated was part of a spring string setup I did about 8 months ago. This line came from the tail end of the plane and ran under a small carbon rod which crossed from one side of the pod to the other to act as a brace. The carbon tube.rod was smooth, but over time the carbon must have worn on the kevlar until it seperated. The woven steel stuff isnt going to do that.

The Vandal is such a champ flyer, when this happened, the horizontal stab sprung up to a 90 degree or more angle and the plane was so perfectly balanced that is stopped in the middle of the air and just rocked backwards and forwards until it settled about 50 feet straight down onto the grass.

If it had happened on launch, even though my launches are puny, it would have been nasty.
tbird911 is offline Find More Posts by tbird911
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:35 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai@UCSB View Post
After replacing it with teflon tubing + wire, Do you guys change the control horn on the rudder and/or elevator ?
No Need
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:56 AM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Simple Ballast System

Today I would like to introduce a very simple and easy to build ballast rod, which can be quickly installed and removed, even under time pressure during contest.
This ballasting method has now been tested during a mere of 40 hours air time and has proven itself perfectly functional

This rod system is made out of 3 simple parts:
1) a worn-out Tungsten end mill with a 3mm flute and 6mm dia. shaft in shaft length between 50mm and 100mm, which will provide ballast weights between 30g and 60g (easy to find in any CNC-shop)
It has turned out, that the center of the Tungsten shaft should be located at the rear torsion hole of the wing mount for propper CG location. If a solder connector is used, the CG can be fine adjusted.

2) a length of Brass tube ~ 4mm x 0.5mm

3) a simple Quick Link soldered into one end of the Brass tube.

4) a short Brass tube with flattened end, bend at an angle of ~80 as a simple installation- and removal tool to hang-in and remove the Quick Link from the mounting hole, drilled into the rear part of the servo well.

All it needs, combining the 3 parts by glueing or soldering, and drilling a 1.5mm hole at the rear end of the servo well as a fix point for the quick Link. The Brass tube can be covered by a yellow shrink tube. This would be more safe, in case the Brass tube could touch any exposed electric parts of the receiver. Also it would help to better find the ballast rod, if dropped in grass.

Attached is a 1:1 PDF drawing which can be used to shape the Brass tube for propper fit.

Wish happy testing......

Roland
KINETIC is offline Find More Posts by KINETIC
Last edited by KINETIC; Mar 25, 2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:15 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,715 Posts
Gmo This si my back yard
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:30 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,715 Posts
Jens pics
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:48 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,715 Posts
OK Concept new tail
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:35 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,208 Posts
Sorry about the white plane...maybe it was a little nose heavy.

Nice back yard, George!

John
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:29 AM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
The Perfect DLG Servo for use in any CX2

FINALLY it is here..... The new DLG servo RDS-256 MMB (code name "Yellow Cap"), as the latest new option for use in the CX2 and perhaps other DLG's as well....

I know, I should not make any advertisement here, but since the new servo was initially developed for the CX2, it should be OK to take it as "good news only"....
The new RDS-256 MMB "Yellow Cap" is based on the soon arriving MKS DS65K servo.
Besides the new "0" dead band technology "inside", a full metal jacket, full metal gear, special programming and 2 ball bearings for the main torque axis will make this servo immune against double centering under high string tension.
In despite of it's tiny size (only 8mm thick) and tiny weight (only 6.5g incl. servo cable), this tiny Power plant will do it all, no matter if used for Rudder, Elevator and/or RDS (for super light planes) as well.

Now you can wear a "Swiss Watch" in your CX2 as well....
The down side, if you breake anything, you might have to bring the servo to a watch maker for repair....
Sorry, can't give the price here... just contact me by email for availability and price.

Roland
KINETIC is offline Find More Posts by KINETIC
Last edited by KINETIC; Mar 26, 2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:32 AM
up from the skies
United States, CO, Fort Garland
Joined Jul 2011
587 Posts
Very cool Roland -
Relentless pursuit of perfection
Cheers
Tom
Tmfury is offline Find More Posts by Tmfury
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:00 PM
Los Osos, CA
Joined May 2008
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
Jens pics
George, looks you have a backyard a guy could get lost in. Way cool. Rick
Rickj.1151 is offline Find More Posts by Rickj.1151
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:17 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,715 Posts
Well Gary Jensen came over today and we had a throwing session and a wind running back upwind schooling. Well Garry was averaging about 225' and one in lift 237' and a few more at 230'. I was getting 215' to 220' consistent. Wind we were just guessing 10 to 15 mile an hour mostly on the 10 side. We had steaks and went on dirt bike ride with Gary and my children it was a fun day.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:27 PM
C-c-c-custom!
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
334 Posts
In that last picture, looks like Charlie needs some new sweatpants.
closedloop is offline Find More Posts by closedloop
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:03 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,757 Posts
Can we expect "The George" next year?

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:15 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closedloop View Post
In that last picture, looks like Charlie needs some new sweatpants.
This wouldn't be the first time GMo and I were mixed up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tai626 View Post
Can we expect "The George" next year?

Tai
If you liked the conditions at the Eloy freeflight field, the dry lake at GMo's would easily work. It would be mighty dusty by the end of the first day and then we could move over a 100 yards for the next day to help keep the dust down a little...

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy