rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 12:03 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
I have been putting the disser right on the outside lately. However, I think the reason for putting the disser skin on the inside is entirely related to QC. When you place the disser cloth on the outer skin, it is easy to distort those fibers during the layup. Also, it is possible that the fibers start peeling at the LE of the wing. Placing the disser inside eliminates this problem as the cloth would be 3M'd to the foam at that point. The <2mm loss in separation distance between the lower and upper skins is likely a negligible loss in overall torsional stiffness.

Doesn't the Stobel come in a double disser variety with disser on the inner and outer skins?
The double Disser Stobel has the disser threads spaced more closely, all on the inside face of the inside skin.

With the disser on the inside face of the outside skin, the disser only extends as far as the inside disser glass, which in the case of the Stobel and the Concept, should mean that it only goes just over the edge of the spread tow, not to the LE of the wing. That would save a little weight with less disser thread weight and maybe add a tiny bit less torsional stiffness as compared to taking the disser all the way to the LE.

I'll see you Sunday Sam, and you can decide whether you think the disser on the outside skin is a problem during the layup.

By the way, since this is a Concept thread: Did you notice that the disser on the top skin of the wing is exactly aligned over the disser on the bottom skin of the wing? That's not a coincidence, it's an indication of totally awesome craftmanship!
Phil Barnes is online now Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Feb 09, 2012, 12:17 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,376 Posts
Disser on the outside skin has been working ok for me as long as I don't cut the glass too small to begin with!

Getting the upper and lower dissers aligned is very much awesome craftsmanship, and at $600+ for a wing I would expect nothing less!
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Feb 09, 2012, 12:42 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
7,828 Posts
All I can say is I hate bank wire transfers .

They had all my information wrong. Sure, the bills come to the house but go do a wire and none of it was up to date!! Yet we moved over 5 years ago!!!
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Feb 09, 2012, 01:08 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Barnes View Post
Did you notice that the disser on the top skin of the wing is exactly aligned over the disser on the bottom skin of the wing? That's not a coincidence, it's an indication of totally awesome craftmanship!
I doubt it's a coincidence The disser on the right and left wings are also perfectly symmetrical. I think Roland has a touch of OCD... his craftsmanship is second to none.
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2012, 01:38 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,531 Posts
Ok 12:00 went and threw 20 throws temp nice 66d 1 mile an hour wind threw about five then got on it and out of 20 throws 184' to 186' throws they were mixed up so 185' consistence sounds right. I am more consistent know that I can not throw as high as I used to. When I went to the JEM was throwing about 165' consistent and it hurt no hurt today knee better and shoulder also feeling much better just need to get out and work harder and I will.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,207 Posts
rcgeorge:

You be careful, ya hear?

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:03 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
rcgeorge:

You be careful, ya hear?

Yours, Greg
OK Cheers
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:04 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
7,828 Posts
Order and money has been send and acknowledged by Roland.

I asked if it was possible to do an Orange wing and sent him a very rough idea of what I had in mind. He also showed me a stripe pattern that looks really nice that i asked if I could get as well.

I just love the diagonal triplet stripes!!!

Thanks Roland.

By the way, Roland was super helpful in the purchase and went beyond beyond in supporting me with making a decision and offering advice on what to get. Regardless of the quantity of money, it was money well spent just to support a great guy.

thank Roland. I hope I'll have the funds to do business again soon!

Frank
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:55 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
Order and money has been send and acknowledged by Roland.

I asked if it was possible to do an Orange wing and sent him a very rough idea of what I had in mind. He also showed me a stripe pattern that looks really nice that i asked if I could get as well.

I just love the diagonal triplet stripes!!!

Thanks Roland.

By the way, Roland was super helpful in the purchase and went beyond beyond in supporting me with making a decision and offering advice on what to get. Regardless of the quantity of money, it was money well spent just to support a great guy.

thank Roland. I hope I'll have the funds to do business again soon!

Frank
Can I have one of those very cool
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:34 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
7,828 Posts
Only can afford one right now and I hope Roland can make it in orange. This new stripe pattern is much nicer than the diamonds, circles or even the wide stripe pattern he had before. IMHO.

I would suggest that he could vary the available striping stensils each year as it could give an indication of when it was produced on sight. not to mention would add further variability to the CX2s in the sky making it easier to pick out which bumble Bee is yours.

Mine will be the great pumkin or the great goldfish ......
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Sep 2004
772 Posts
I have 2 of the greens in that pattern, and the tails are the same color.....
JOLOVINS is offline Find More Posts by JOLOVINS
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:48 PM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
264 Posts
Some very interesting DLG physics

Since my early beginnings with DLG planes, I found a common habit of any plane I flew that time, the habit to bank to the left (on right hand throw).
At first I suspected a twisted flap or even the whole wing perhaps was twisted...? Without bothering too much with the quite complex physics involved, I tried to measure the wing(s) for any suspected twist..... and couldn't find any deformation significant enough to cause the planes to roll that much.
Intuitively I tried to compensate this roll momentum by setting the flaps in a asymmetric way, until the plane went into a straight launch path.
I suppose that many of you have made the similar experience and do exactly the same thing..... If not, you might follow this suggestions to improve your launch height, at least what can be improved at the side of the planes efficiency during launch.

On the way to build and improve the first Concept generations, I was trying to analyze this very complex physics involved. A consensus of the very interesting analysis results can be found in the attached PDF.

wish you happy testing and improving.....

Roland
KINETIC is online now Find More Posts by KINETIC
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:35 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,493 Posts
The date on that pdf is March 23, 2010. Could be something drawn up as an April fools joke for 2010. The reasons given for the roll tendency after launch are correct and well known for a long time. See this link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...05#post5660781
Phil Barnes is online now Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:05 PM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Barnes View Post
The date on that pdf is March 23, 2010. Could be something drawn up as an April fools joke for 2010. The reasons given for the roll tendency after launch are correct and well known for a long time. See this link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...05#post5660781
Dear Phil,

since we do not have April so far it was not ment as such, rather than an informative illustration of what many people might know, but still don't understand, since I receive many questions about. Well, it is an analysis I have done in 2010 but never published. Now it is, some people might find it interesting and the quite substantial work on it was not done in vain after all....

Btw. your link is well known as well, but completely related to the side slip as such. In this simulation made by Mark Drela, the lift distribution and influence of negative flap settings is not covered. Perhaps on focusing at the date too much you missed the difference..:

Roland
KINETIC is online now Find More Posts by KINETIC
Last edited by KINETIC; Feb 10, 2012 at 10:39 PM.