HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:46 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,914 Posts
Oh, Thanks Dan, my next CX2 will be the RHC31HF layup as well. Smooooooooth.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:05 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 View Post
No - graduating from Blaster and Fireworks FW5.
I think the benefits of heavier vs lighter wing loading are well discussed and the compromise of penetrtaion vs climb rate understood.
My question is simply around the practical experience by folks who have been flying the CX2 for a while now.
Go with the light as you can always add weight and I have not broken one yet they rock
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Last edited by rcgeorge; Feb 03, 2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:34 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
Man it is windy will be disc golf no hand launch for me today
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:00 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Tip strike!

This will be my first molded repair job, but I'm about halfway done after a days work.

I've opened up the bottom of the wing, and rebuilt both spars, which are now drying.

So far the hardest part for me has been getting the outer wing skins re-attched to the rohacell. The skins aren't porous enough for my thin CA to soak through.

More pics as I make progress.
apex is offline Find More Posts by apex
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:04 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,152 Posts
Owwwwwch! That hurts... Good Luck with it. Looks good so far.

Do we need to work on our launch technique, or was it real windy that day?
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:38 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherhunter View Post
Owwwwwch! That hurts... Good Luck with it. Looks good so far.

Do we need to work on our launch technique, or was it real windy that day?
Both. New launch technique, and with high winds which pushed the plane up higher on the frontside (windward) of the launch and hence lower on the backside. It was one of those 'oh just one more flight' moments... I knew I should have quit after the first roller coaster ride.
apex is offline Find More Posts by apex
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:09 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,488 Posts
Ouch! I nearly had that happen on the Akcent-2, but I don't practice new launch techniques when the breeze is up.

Repair is looking good and I appreciate the close ups of a molded wing structure!
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:52 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,513 Posts
It looks as if the Rohacell in that wing was died yellow. It looks like the color goes all the way through the Rohacell, and the color continues even under the carbon. That is something that you might do if you were using perhaps a water based dye to color the Rohacell. Rohacell just loves to soak up water. If you were using paint, the paint would be just be on the surface and there would be no reason to paint where the carbon will cover it. I can envision just dropping a stack of Rohacell sheets in a big tub of water with some dye and then just hanging the sheets to dry. I bet you wouldn't even be able to measure any weight gain.

Those pictures also make me wonder why they put the disser threads on the inside skin rather than the outside skin. The Stobel does it that way also. It seems like the disser threads would be more effective closer to the outside.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:56 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,939 Posts
Just a thought, but if they were on the outside then the other fibres in the wing and the foam underneath them would have to bend to go under them.
If they are on the inside then they can just sort of lay on top of the inner skin.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 09, 2012, 12:04 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,914 Posts
Nope, the foam is not died. The skins are made with tinted epoxy. You can tell by the bit of foam left on the spar in one of the shots. Sorry to see that happen, but good on ya for undertaking the repair. It will work well.

Cheers.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:01 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex View Post
This will be my first molded repair job, but I'm about halfway done after a days work.

I've opened up the bottom of the wing, and rebuilt both spars, which are now drying.

So far the hardest part for me has been getting the outer wing skins re-attched to the rohacell. The skins aren't porous enough for my thin CA to soak through.

More pics as I make progress.
What happened?
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:55 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,488 Posts
I have been putting the disser right on the outside lately. However, I think the reason for putting the disser skin on the inside is entirely related to QC. When you place the disser cloth on the outer skin, it is easy to distort those fibers during the layup. Also, it is possible that the fibers start peeling at the LE of the wing. Placing the disser inside eliminates this problem as the cloth would be 3M'd to the foam at that point. The <2mm loss in separation distance between the lower and upper skins is likely a negligible loss in overall torsional stiffness.

Doesn't the Stobel come in a double disser variety with disser on the inner and outer skins?
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:40 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
I have been putting the disser right on the outside lately. However, I think the reason for putting the disser skin on the inside is entirely related to QC. When you place the disser cloth on the outer skin, it is easy to distort those fibers during the layup. Also, it is possible that the fibers start peeling at the LE of the wing. Placing the disser inside eliminates this problem as the cloth would be 3M'd to the foam at that point. The <2mm loss in separation distance between the lower and upper skins is likely a negligible loss in overall torsional stiffness.

Doesn't the Stobel come in a double disser variety with disser on the inner and outer skins?
Yes the Stobel is the same
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:45 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
Well went flying at 7:45 temp 40d no wind throwing 160' to 165' times were 2.20 to 2.30 man my fingers are numb. Did not throw hard will go and throw for launch latter when little warmer. This plane is 10 oz and CG is at 82mm with how high in it. Will fly light plane maybe tomorrow early if get a chance. Cheers happy flying
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Sep 2004
808 Posts
40s, thats a heat wave here...
JOLOVINS is offline Find More Posts by JOLOVINS