Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:18 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjue View Post
Mike is a JR guy now?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1390394

Any new enhancement on the CX2 then the one you guys received before?

I got the honor to fly the "prototype" of CX2 (bagged version) when I was at Taiwan few months ago...

Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:21 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,914 Posts
Bjue,

Yep

Kai... Nope, the models are very much the same. My previous CX2 and these new CX2's differ only in the fact that the fuses are stiffer and significantly stronger, and not any heavier. In fact, my light one is 0.2 oz lighter than my first CX2, and my heavy one is 0.05 oz heavier than that first one. Roland really hit the ball out of the park with the CX2. Love it. Absolutely love it.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:58 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
I used JR DS285's for the elevator servos on each, and I get fantastic centering with the pull/pull cables nice and tight.
Mike - can you elaborate on this decision? Have you had a bad experience with the stock servos? Was it difficult to modify the install to accommodate the 285?

Pics?

Thanks the for glowing review - I can hardly wait to get mine!

-m@
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2011, 01:34 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN View Post
Mike - can you elaborate on this decision?
He's a JR guy now...duh

Great flying this weekend, by the way. With a Concept, you are going to be lethal!
Paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:23 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
Great flying this weekend, by the way. With a Concept, you are going to be lethal!
Thanks, Paul - I was pretty happy with my flying. My mongrel did very well (go baggers!) but I think a cleaner and more optimized airframe would have helped. Stuff like external aileron linkages probably contributed a little to lower surfing times and a few feet of launch height...

The bad news about my CX2s is that I won't have them in time for the other two-day's I'm planning on attending. The good news is that I wont break them at the other two-days I'm planning on attending.

-m@
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:33 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN View Post
The bad news about my CX2s is that I won't have them in time for the other two-day's I'm planning on attending. The good news is that I wont break them at the other two-days I'm planning on attending.
what an optimist! i love it!

they will be here for the cal challenge, right?
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:41 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
they will be here for the cal challenge, right?
Maybe, but I'm not betting on it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:34 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,914 Posts
Hey Matt,

To elaborate, I originally installed the servos that Roland supplied for both elevator and rudder since the are light and fit perfectly (with a little sanding on the servo tray). But this time I noticed a bit of slop at the servo output arm that was contributing to a little double centering on the elevator. I flew it anyway, and when trimmed correctly there is an aspect of a little double centering that I actually like (the elevator stick actuated slow/fast trimmer ;-) ) Then I built number two, and took a look at the size difference of the 285 and darn if the thing is almost the same size. Just a little longer, and its a bit taller from the mounting tabs to the top of the output arm. So, I elongated the hole in the servo tray a little and slipped the DS285 in there trimmed the outer edges of the output arm so it wouldn't rub on the canopy, and voila...Great centering! Went out and flew it, and it was just perfect, so I came home and swapped out the elevator servo on number 1 too. This time I trimmed off the tabs, and lengthened the servo hole, and slid the servo in all the way to the bottom of the fuse. I secured it with a bead of black CA along the front and rear edges where the servo meets the tray. (that way I know I can get it out if I need to) It holds very well.

Thats all there is to it. I can't wait to hear how you like the CX2 Matt. I am sure you will be amazed.

Cheers.

Mike
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:51 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
the 7g servo looks eerily like the VSD-6 from hobbycity http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6288
Just for info: I checked the specs on Roland's RDS-65 servo and Hobby kings VSD-6.

RDS-65
Weight: 6.5 g (incl. wire and connector)
Speed: 0.09 ms/60
Torque: 1.40 Kg/cm (19.44 oz.in)@ 5 volts
Size: 20.8mm x 20mm x 11mm

VSD-6 6.0g Operating Voltage: 4.8v ~6v
Speed: .10sec/60deg @ 4.8v
Output Torque: 0.6kgf.cm(8.4 oz.in) at 4.8v
Weight: 6.0g (0.56oz)
Size: 21.2x11.6x22.1mm (.83x.46x.87in)

So the size, weight and torque is different for the two servos. The RDS-65 weighs .5g more, has a little more than double the torque and is smaller in size. In fact if you look closely at the pictures of the to servos you will see a difference in the case shape on the top of the servo.

Like I said just for info.

Maurice
mpodder is offline Find More Posts by mpodder
Last edited by mpodder; Mar 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:53 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Nov 2004
102 Posts
Regarding the height of the 285 a previous poster explained how it can be lowered. One needs to cut off a portion of the splined output shaft and remove the lower portion of the servo arm (the area that slips over the splined shaft). That reduces the height significantly. I've modified several of my 285s in this manner and it works great.

Robert Samuels .... St. Louis
ransamuels is online now Find More Posts by ransamuels
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:47 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,914 Posts
Link to my 2.4 antenna install...some have asked for it..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...g#post13663099

Mike
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:47 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
I flew my new CX2 9.80 OZ CG at 82 with DS285 in fuse Roland's battery 400 ma Ni Mi and stock bell crank setup with strings and so far so good. I have installed the Craig Robbins peg wrapped with 10lb spider line and it rocks as usual. It has the Fasst 8 channel and no added weight for CG. Seems to fly fine CG were it is at. I will tell you it was gusty windy 7 to 15 lots of gust, so hard to do comparison. Such as dead air time to late in the year for that hear as it is bumpy. I have two more to test, I mean one as I gave Charlie one to test looks promising. Charlie flew one yesterday and I had to leave so you will have to ask him what he thinks. The CX2 I will be testing today CG is at 86mm with Fasst 6 channel and weight is at 9.1/4 oz. Cheers
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:51 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,914 Posts
Great George. Dan and I flew at lunch today. Both of us flying out lighter CX2's My light one came in at 9.3oz. Sounds like the one you are flying today is the same. CG is at or near 86mm. Same Roland supplied 4 cell nimh battery with no extra nose weight. Can't say enough good things about it. Hope you find the same with yours. My "heavy" one came in at 9.5oz. !! not very heavy.... I am happy.

Good luck.

Mike
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:10 PM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
For those looking to lower the height of 285 servo without cutting the output horn. Buy the Dubro JR micro horns. They mount in a low profile position compared to stock horns and are light and strong. The item number is 931. They are way too long for our application but I like it because I can trim them off and there is room onboard to drill a perfect custom hole location.
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken