SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:32 PM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
No need for CA. Just a two or three wraps around the servo horn screw should be more than enough. Easier to adjust, too, without CA making things semi permanent...
Just a thought.

Soar!
Jun
The string should not be twisted around the servo screw. This would deminish the easy adjustment of tension and center position.
The soaked pigtail with a knot infront is ment as a grip for easy pulling / re-stretching and position the link which is secured afterwards under the servo screw cap.
The build-in "Kevlar" strings have very little stretch and therefore don't need as much stretching, as needed for "Dyneema" strings. This helps fairly keeping the mechanical stress off the servo output shaft and signifficantly reducing double centering, which might appear otherwise.

Happy and healthy Christmas time to you and to the CX2 family...

Roland
KINETIC is offline Find More Posts by KINETIC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:42 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINETIC View Post
The string should not be twisted around the servo screw. This would deminish the easy adjustment of tension and center position.
The soaked pigtail with a knot infront is ment as a grip for easy pulling / re-stretching and position the link which is secured afterwards under the servo screw cap.
The build-in "Kevlar" strings have very little stretch and therefore don't need as much stretching, as needed for "Dyneema" strings. This helps fairly keeping the mechanical stress off the servo output shaft and signifficantly reducing double centering, which might appear otherwise.

Happy and healthy Christmas time to you and to the CX2 family...

Roland
Hi Roland, Happy Holidays!

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:14 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmfury View Post
Matt, where abouts does your antennas exit the top and bottom and how much sticks out.do you just drill holes in fuz ,are the antennas secured in any way?what radio you using?
See the attached pics to see where I located the antennae. I went with the up/down orientation because you can always see an antenna, no matter what the plane orientation. I know some guys just dangle two antenna downward with good luck too. Listen to your muse.

The way I installed them was to shrink some small heat shrink tubing to create antenna guides. The tubing I have shrinks to the exact correct size for 2.4 antenna coax, and it bonds well with glue. I then drilled holes in the fuse at an angle, then CA'd VERY short sections of the tubing into the holes. This prevents the antenna wire from being directly against the sharp carbon edge of the hole. I also cut the tubing in such a way to protect the wires from impacts from the front and allowing the wires to bend rearward (see pics). I didn't worry about gluing the antennae in place, friction is enough.

I'm a Futaba guy, and am using the R6208SB 8ch receiver - it's probably overkill, and i'm sure I could have gotten by with the same R6106HFC 6ch Rx I use in all my other DLGs.

I'm not saying this is the the "best" way to go, but it's what I settled on. Many folk have had good luck with the MS method, but I also know several who have had issues with it.

No matter what you decide: RANGE CHECK. my new antenna locations give me a much stronger range check than I got with the MS install.

Have fun!

-m@
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:14 PM
up from the skies
United States, CO, Fort Garland
Joined Jul 2011
584 Posts
Thanks Matt ,I appreciate the instructions and photos. Your install looks slick and i would feel 100% confident with that set up.Roland says he shipping mine in about 2weeks.btw I hit the 200' mark today-man these dlg's are so much fun.when I started back in July I flew in bsonm,I could only throw about 60' all the help from people here, and watchin launch videos has helped me out so much .thanks again
Tom
Tmfury is offline Find More Posts by Tmfury
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:35 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,913 Posts
It flies again!

Last year at the JEM, I broke one of the first CX2's to fly here in the states. The fuselage failed on launch, and forensic analysis by Roland found that there was some bad material in that area. Roland tested, and fixed the problem, and CX2's have been getting brutally hurled into the air ever since without incident.

The crash left my fuse irrepairable, and my wing buckled right at the aileron torque tube location on the right (non-launch) side. I stuck this wing in the rack for a time when I could sit down and do surgery. That time came Saturday night.

I sat down, put in a fresh #11 blade and surgically removed the skin in the compromised area. I quickly discovered the issue, and planned my attack. The balsa spar was buckled in compression right at the torque tube. The wing had hit the ground somewhat inverted, so the compression failure was on the bottom side of the wing.

My fix was to wrap a piece of 1/16 inch balsa with some carbon uni I had laying around, and while protecting the torque rod from being permanently bonded to a non moving part of the wing, bond that piece such that it adhered to the spar, and the skin. After shaping the piece and dry fitting in several times, I placed a shaped piece of thin plastic on the torque rod as it ran through the spar, and set the piece into its final position. I soaked the piece with thin CA making sure to let it wick into the fibers, and along the spar, then wicked in a little more along the exposed skin sandwich adjacent to the reinforcement.

I did some manual flexing of the wing, and noticed no buckling. So, I sealed everything back up with CA, and made sure to relaminate some other areas that had delammed in the wreck by wicking thin CA and rubbing it out while it cured.

Test flights on Sunday afternoon confirmed that I had succesfully breathed new life into a shop relick to be. I couldn't be happier to have this wing flying again, especially with the 2012 JEM right around the corner.

Cheers all, and Happy Holidays.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:40 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,378 Posts
See you there soon Mike, it'll be a CX2 fest!

Charlie
Old Dec 12, 2011, 04:04 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,998 Posts
Yep, so excited to see there will be another CX2 pilot there to woop me!

Cant wait..........
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:30 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Yep, so excited to see there will be another CX2 pilot there to woop me!
Mike could woop most of us even if he was flying a 2x4...
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:52 PM
New Mexico
Joined Mar 2004
435 Posts
New CX2 Takes to the Shy

I flew my new CX2 today for the first time. It was pretty windy so I didn't get the real fine tuning done. It seemed like I could launch higher but George, Charlie and the other big guns are still safe. It has the Rohacell 51 layup (yellow) and the upgraded elevator servo. It came out 9.5 oz with an AR6255 DSMX receiver. Very nice work Roland. Thanks.

Bruce T.
Bruce T. is offline Find More Posts by Bruce T.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:53 PM
up from the skies
United States, CO, Fort Garland
Joined Jul 2011
584 Posts
Bruce, well done today with the maiden of your new cx2,Jason and I were very impressed with your launch height.looks like you are going to do very well flyin cx2,again well done.
Tom
Tmfury is offline Find More Posts by Tmfury
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:59 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,378 Posts
They are lots of fun. Now that my shoulders are feeling better it's time to start flinging the CX2 again. Got to get some practice in before the JEM. . Just hoping to make the flyoffs with all the talent that will be there.

Charlie
Old Dec 26, 2011, 08:09 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,656 Posts
Christmas was great well the food and company that is. Went throwing the Concept-X2 first time sense blue skies Az when injured shoulder. With how high was getting 175' to 180' not hard contest throws yet but great to be flying again. Air was soft flight times average 2 minutes 30 seconds. I sure miss flying but will be back to work and flying this year will not be much. Well Happy New Year to ALL Cheers and Beers.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Dec 26, 2011, 08:29 PM
Joined Sep 2004
805 Posts
I have 2 mean green CX2s to maiden if the snow ever goes away.....its killin me......
JOLOVINS is online now Find More Posts by JOLOVINS
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:41 PM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Happy new year

We wish to all our friends and fans of the CX2, a very happy, healthy and prosperous New year.
Might 2012 bring to you always blue skies and good air

Roland & Mong
KINETIC is offline Find More Posts by KINETIC
Old Dec 27, 2011, 03:01 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,042 Posts
Best Wishes To You Two Too.

John
gopherhunter is online now Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member