Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 09, 2011, 08:32 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,643 Posts
Man still can't believe this year with the Concepts what a dream come true thanks again Roland, Mong and Eric your the best. Cheers and Beers no fears.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2011, 08:57 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
Man still can't believe this year with the Concepts what a dream come true thanks again Roland, Mong and Eric your the best. Cheers and Beers no fears.
The Concept has proven to be a great plane, and George handles this plane like nobody else can. You flew great last weekend, your the man.
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Nov 09, 2011, 08:59 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,293 Posts
Blue Skies Series Champion
USA F3K Tour Champion
Podium Finish at the First ever FAI F3K World Championship

That is one helluva year, George.

Congrats, buddy!
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:52 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,724 Posts
Master steak chef too!!!!!!!!!!!!
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:01 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,643 Posts
Thanks Tim , Donnie and Dave your the best
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:55 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,765 Posts
Wing mounting getting loose

Still loving my Concepts - but I have noticed one undesirable thing happening: ya know that peg and hole at the rear of the wing/fuse that keeps the wing aligned when mounted? Well the hole on mine is wearing, and now looks more like an oval. There is definite play in the wing before I put the screws in (when new, everything fit so tight that I wondered if the screws were even necessary!)

Anybody else see this?

Roland - you might consider adding some sort of reinforcement or bushing at that spot.
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:07 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,064 Posts
Matt,
You are launching too hard Put a few layers of tape bridging the TE at the root and the boom. Then wrap once around boom over the end of the tape layers on the boom. This is what George does.

You can also wax up the locating peg and the wing and put some splooge in the hole and mount the wing. This will fill the gap.
Paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:13 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,293 Posts
Matt, I've experienced the same thing on my older, previous generation concepts. I did just what George does, and now I'm back to flying a plane I though was destined for DLG Combat usage.

I wanted to try the splooge thing Paul is talking about, but I'd really rather see a write-up of how someone else does it, with pictures, before I try it.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:47 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
Matt,
You are launching too hard Put a few layers of tape bridging the TE at the root and the boom. Then wrap once around boom over the end of the tape layers on the boom. This is what George does.

You can also wax up the locating peg and the wing and put some splooge in the hole and mount the wing. This will fill the gap.
Paul
I doubt the shear strength of tape will be enough to do much. Tape at that location is a good idea aerodynamically, tho.

I've already concluded that splooge is the ultimate fix - I'll give it a go when I have some time. Even with wax, however, I am a little scared about permanently affixing the wing to the fuse...

I must admit that the primary motivation of my post was to alert Roland to an issue that he could probably effectively address in future designs...

MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:26 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,161 Posts
You can use plastic wrap if you are afraid of the wax.
G Norsworthy is online now Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:27 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,643 Posts
Matt the tape works and that is why I do it. Three 1/2" first 2/4" second and 1" last and then a wrap 3/4 way around the fuse and it works with our tape. Try it and let me know, I think you will be surprised. Well I hope.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:21 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,293 Posts
I was in the same boat, Matt. George said tape it, and I chuckled inside. Now it's taped and I'm flying it.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:58 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Dudes, just tried a new fuse with the new H-stab from Roland. Flies great, looks super cool. I would be like the ultra uber calibrated launch height measuring device if I could tel you that it gave me any advantage over launch from the normal stabs...But I can say, it did not hurt my launch.....

Thanks Roland, the stabs are super cool.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:58 PM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN View Post
I doubt the shear strength of tape will be enough to do much. Tape at that location is a good idea aerodynamically, tho.

I've already concluded that splooge is the ultimate fix - I'll give it a go when I have some time. Even with wax, however, I am a little scared about permanently affixing the wing to the fuse...

I must admit that the primary motivation of my post was to alert Roland to an issue that he could probably effectively address in future designs...

Actually this problem was discovered in early June during my practice flights for the WC in Sweden.
At this time we had very high temperatures and the fuse could heat-up well over 50C during extended exposure to the Sun on the ground.
Above 50C the Epoxy has reduced strength and can deform under high pressure as it happens during throw to the peg connection.
From ever since, I apply significantly more reinforcements to get more than double the wall thickness around the position hole area. From that time this problem seems to be resolved or at least substantially reduced.

Better don't try the shape filling method with attached wing...... The chance for glueing the wing to the fuse permanently is good at 99%..
Just filling the holes inner walls would not be good enough while breaking away soon after a few good throws.

I recommend to insert from inside the fuse a little plate of ~1mm PC board- or carbon board material behind the hole area using a good Epoxy glue (not 5min Epoxy!). After the glue has set, carefully rework the hole until the proper fit is restored.
KINETIC is offline Find More Posts by KINETIC
Old Dec 09, 2011, 11:22 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
New CX-2

I flew my new Concept today. She is all tuned up and flying great.

This one came out light - 9.11oz / 258 grams. She seems happiest with the CG set at 83mm.

God I love these gliders. Thanks Roland.
danfitz is offline Find More Posts by danfitz