SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:28 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN View Post
...His answer seems to be the "heavy/wind" layup version of the CX2. It uses Rohacell 51 rather than the 31 used on the "light", resulting in a heavier, stronger wing well suited for windy conditions.

I ordered one of each layup...
That's expensive ballast!
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:06 AM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
Quote:
I asked Roland about ballast - his opinion is that it usually isn't needed. He won a contest in 20mph winds with an unballasted plane. Apparently he played with ballast and thought it degraded the performance. In any case, he didn't mention any ballast options (where would you put it? )

His answer seems to be the "heavy/wind" layup version of the CX2. It uses Rohacell 51 rather than the 31 used on the "light", resulting in a heavier, stronger wing well suited for windy conditions.

I ordered one of each layup.

I'm curious what you find re: ballast in the CX2...

-m@
Mike went the same route as you Matt. Mine are both light lay ups.

Last night I fiddled with how to install a ballast tube set up in my number 2 glider. I concluded that there is definitely room to run a narrow ballast tube down the top of the fuse in between the pull pull lines and wing bolts. I plan on using my tungsten rod from the Stobel. Five slugs will weigh about three ounces for a total weight of about 12.5 oz when fully ballasted. I can't throw much more than that but there is room to run a longer tube. You could probably fit about 4.2 oz of Stobel tungsten ballast rod in there.

I'll set it up the same as my Stobels with a small pin to lock the ballast slugs and the canopy capturing the pin.

I'll post some pics as I get it set up.
danfitz is offline Find More Posts by danfitz
Last edited by danfitz; Mar 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: detail
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:24 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,785 Posts
Cool, Dan.

Please do post pics of what you cook up. It'll give me something to look at while I wait for mine...
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:27 AM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
CX2 Ballast

Here is a pic of the ballast tube set up on my Stobels.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:05 PM
just one more launch...
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Oct 2006
227 Posts
Quote:
I asked Roland about ballast - his opinion is that it usually isn't needed. He won a contest in 20mph winds with an unballasted plane. Apparently he played with ballast and thought it degraded the performance. In any case, he didn't mention any ballast options (where would you put it? )

His answer seems to be the "heavy/wind" layup version of the CX2. It uses Rohacell 51 rather than the 31 used on the "light", resulting in a heavier, stronger wing well suited for windy conditions.

I ordered one of each layup.

I'm curious what you find re: ballast in the CX2...

-m@
Hi Matt,

Here is some additional information from Roland re ballasting in the CX2:

Just won the 1st. Taiwan Champs 2011 with a light plane at avg. 20mph wind and strong turbulence in Taipei. without any Ballast.
The only thing needed was a coin (5cent) added to the nose The light plane launches a tad higher.
Usually there is no any ballast needed. In Taiwan (island) we have strong wind almost every day. I have tested ballasting which rather decreases the overall performance for the reason of launch height, thermal sensitivity and maneuverability.
If a little "ballast" is evenly distributed within the whole wing, maintains efficiency

If really ballasting is needed, you can use a worn out tungsten cutter (6mm shaft and 2mm flutes) fit a brass tube to it as long as the cutter can rest at CG and the front end can be fixed by a ball-link to the servo frame. Make a sliding tube connection inbetween that the CG can be adjusted. solder it together at right CG.... You're all set and have a ballast ( about 35g) which easily can be installed or removed.
meiche is offline Find More Posts by meiche
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:25 PM
just one more launch...
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Oct 2006
227 Posts
CX2 wing options

Here is some info I got from Roland regarding wing options:

I definitely suggest for the lighter version unless rough terrain, extreme turbulent environment or an "animal throw" is asking for a more solid wing, which also cuts better through bushes and branches of trees....:-)
The heavy wing is about 155g.

The standard version would be the light version (~ 143-145g) wing.

For special applications under VERY calm conditions there would be also a super light version possible, The "SL" Version has just normal Balsa as main- and drag spar, but therefore some reduced torsional wing- and flap stability. Also the carbon D-box could be spared to safe an other 8g with further reduced torsional wing stability .
The weight of the SL wing (without D-box and carbon flap spar) would be around 130g.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:49 PM
just one more launch...
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Oct 2006
227 Posts
Contest results

Hey Dan,

Did you fly the CX2 at the recent contest? How did it do relative to the competition?

Michael.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:20 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,913 Posts
Both of my CX2's came in today... Gotta get them flying ASAP.. I got a light one, and a "heavy" one. Can't wait to fly them again.

reports later.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:15 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meiche View Post
Hey Dan,

Did you fly the CX2 at the recent contest? How did it do relative to the competition?

Michael.
Michael,
as in most games of skill, it is the Indian and not the arrow that makes the difference and this bears out in my performance at the contest. I didn't do well but I would not switch back to my Stobels. In fact, I have sold one of my Stobels and the other may be on the chopping block soon. Or, I may keep it as a beater back up, I haven't decided yet. Bottom line is I just love the way the Concept flies. It handles great and I feel it will perform with any thing out there, even the Apollo!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:57 AM
just one more launch...
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Oct 2006
227 Posts
Thanks Dan. Glad you are happy with how it performs. I'll be training on my Predator 2 low wing in preparation for flying the CX2.

Yes, Apollo the Stobel Killer will be no match for CX2!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 02:01 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,453 Posts
Are these planes only available directly from HKM models? Their website is somewhat difficult to navigate, English being a second language and all I completely understand, it makes it tough to find the price sheet and order page though.

Also, the 7g servo looks eerily like the VSD-6 from hobbycity (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6288) which works well as an elevator servo but I've stripped 2 using them on rudders.

Of course this is a minor detail on an otherwise flawless looking model!
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:59 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,425 Posts
Sam, I may be wrong but I think I remember reading somewhere the servos the CX2 uses are something similar to a metal geared Hyperion, but more precise. Also they were something like $65 USD a peice lol. Just hunch but I would hope that Roland wouldnt put such a low shelf servo in such a top shelf plane!!
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:24 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,913 Posts
More precisely they are available directly from the man that makes them.. Roland Sommer. you can reach him via private message...He is Kinetic here on the forums...

Mike
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:59 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,913 Posts
OK, quick update.

Got both of my new CX2's flying over the weekend. The light one came in at 9.3 oz and the "heavy" one at 9.5oz. Not a very heavy, heavy one. The difference being the heavy one has a higher density rohacel foam used in the wings. I used JR DS285's for the elevator servos on each, and I get fantastic centering with the pull/pull cables nice and tight.

Roland has done a masterful job on these models. The fit and finish is still as nice as the first one I bought. I am getting pretty good at getting these in the air. The first one took me 3 hours start to finish (and that included programming my new 11X from scratch) and the second took 2 hours and 15 minutes (only had to copy the program and trim :-))

Test flying both of them was spectacular. They fly so well. The CG is back at about the 86mm mark, and when trimmed properly, all flight modes work as intended.

These gliders get great launches, and have awesome legs. The handling is, in my opinion (having flown many different high end DLG's) the best of any of the gliders out there today. And the float/hang time ??? Lets just say that since I am always on the search for great performance, this model will leave my wanting nothing. I am extremely happy with the dead air performance of the CX2. This has always been my Achilles heal as my launches weren't as high as the best guys ( I am better now ).

If any of you get a chance to fly a new CX2 I hope you will take that generous offer and fiddle the sticks a bit. They are really great fun to fly, and the performance is the tippy top of the heap.

Cheers all, and thank you Roland for continuing to improve on your original design concept...The CX2 is World Class.

Mike
PS, both gliders are set up on my 11X with the 6255Rx's operating in DSMX mode. range tested great with my internal antenna arrangement. All programming on the Tx worked as I wanted it too without compromise.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:50 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,676 Posts
Cool I can't wait thanks for up date
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge