HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2011, 10:20 AM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Servo mystery

Now I really have to shed some light onto all speculations about the servos used for all new Concept X2's build since February 2011........
It is true that our NEW RDS432 servo used in RDS and as an upgrade servo for Elevator and possibly rudder as well, has the same geometrical dimensions as the MKS 450 Servo, since the RDS 432 servo is exclusively build for use in all Concepts by MKS.
The big difference is, all MKS DS4xx servos are designed, build and programmed in the first place for use in Mini Helicopters. Therefore their specifications do not exactly match the specifications we need for gliders, particularly F3K gliders and here especially the ones of highest performance level.
For this reason, all internal components had to be redesigned from scratch, with the target in mind, to have a servo which is light weight, unparalleled powerful for its size and weight, has a SLOOP FREE metal gear and the latest "0" dead band technology, combined with the doubled resolution used in the latest state of the art radio technology. Needless to say that this servo is fast, super strong (3.2kg/cm), super precise over the whole movement range and has a very precise centering.

Roland
KINETIC is offline Find More Posts by KINETIC
Last edited by KINETIC; Sep 05, 2011 at 11:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2011, 10:09 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
I will attest to the super precise centering of these servos. The flight mode camber presets hold their position perfectly month after month. No slop, no thermal drift, no adjustments, just perfection every time.
danfitz is online now Find More Posts by danfitz
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:32 PM
just one more launch...
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Oct 2006
225 Posts
Aileron servo noise

Anyone else have a situation where the aileron servos make a random "clicking" or "chattering" noise, even when the ailerons are sitting still in the neutral position? It is only an issue of audible noise, the aileron surfaces are perfectly still.

I'm using an Airtronics SD-10G radio with an FHSS-3 receiver.

Is it at all possible to adjust some tuning parameters in the servo to eliminate this noise?

Thanks in advance,
Michael.
meiche is offline Find More Posts by meiche
Old Sep 08, 2011, 10:41 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,354 Posts
Mine makes some noise but nothing abnormal. Pretty common with digital servos.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:28 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,581 Posts
I've never seen a digital servo that didn't chatter quite a bit. Does it stop if you wiggle the stick just a bit? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:58 AM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
I've never seen a digital servo that didn't chatter quite a bit. Does it stop if you wiggle the stick just a bit? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.
VERY good point!

still there is some "little" difference between the commonly known chatter in digital servos, which comes from the attempt to center back into the preset "dead band" area while still under mechanical load..... and the little, let's say, pendulum clicks between a positive and/or a negative step around "0", since the servo doesn't have anymore the WIDE dead band to come to rest.
Actually, the servo is programmed to come to rest at precisely "0".
Unfortunately this "0" can't be constant while directly depended on the quality of the impulse signal which controls the ultimate position or stop of the servo. Within the impulse producing electronics inside your radio (TX as well inside the RX decoding), tiny fluctuations within the timing of such produced control impulses over time, will have a so called "jitter", which means tiny deviations from the intended nominal precision, which will cause such minimal response from your "precise" working servo.
Well, such response is audible, but too small to cause any visible movement of the servo mechanics.
The sound is more or less produced within the motor coils acting a bit like a speaker.....

Even you wiggle the sticks a bit, would not be of much help, since the new servo generation will "chat" a little in any position posible..... unless you can get the control signal stop "chatting / jittering".
Since there is no actual movement of the motor under load, the additional power consumption is neglectable and would reduce your total usable battery time in a range of a few seconds only.
On the other hand, this little "chatting" of the servo/s will be a good sign that they are alive....:-)

Roland
KINETIC is offline Find More Posts by KINETIC
Last edited by KINETIC; Sep 11, 2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:05 PM
up from the skies
United States, CO, Fort Garland
Joined Jul 2011
581 Posts
Hey guys,I recently ordered 2-cx2's ,does the airtronics fhss-3 rec fit ? I'm definaatly lookin forward to flyin these amazin planes.Tom
Tmfury is offline Find More Posts by Tmfury
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:36 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmfury View Post
Hey guys,I recently ordered 2-cx2's ,does the airtronics fhss-3 rec fit ? I'm definaatly lookin forward to flyin these amazin planes.Tom
Yes, the 6ch one without case is easily fit...
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:48 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that is what I run in mine. I remove the case and shrink wrap them. They fit easily.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:49 PM
just one more launch...
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Oct 2006
225 Posts
Quote:
The 6 channel receiver fits without removing the case.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:54 PM
up from the skies
Joined Jul 2011
581 Posts
Thanks for the replys,are the antennas long enough to run into the wing?
Also,what layup is most desireable ? Iorderd a 31 & the denser upgrade for best finish . Thanks for any thoughts/info-tom
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:03 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Also,what layup is most desireable ? Iorderd a 31 & the denser upgrade for best finish . Thanks for any thoughts/info-tom
Funny you asked about antennae in the wings - I just pulled my OUT and they now dangle in the breeze. I had a lockout at a contest, I'm assuming due to the antennae being shadowed by the carbon leading edge and/or carbon in the drag spar. I regained control and didn't crash, but I didn't like it one bit.

Re: layups: I have one "heavy" and one "light" layup. If I were to do it again, I'd go for two of the light ones. They're both plenty strong and have good finish, and you can always add weight to a light one if you need it.
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:13 PM
just one more launch...
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Oct 2006
225 Posts
Quote:
Yes they are long enough. That's why I chose the Airtronics receiver.

I've ordered both the standard Rohacell (31-IGF) and the new 31-HF (ultra fine cell structure) for the very smooth surface finish to see if there is any performance difference.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:40 PM
up from the skies
Joined Jul 2011
581 Posts
Great info-I've got plenty of time to decide on antenna configuration ,but may need to re consider layup choice . The lighter layup seems to be ideal.does anyone have the lt blue?is it hard to see? Seems like there's enough black le and strips to stand out well-it's awesome these planes are available !
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
Quote:
Yes, the Airtonics RX antennas will reach all the way back to the drag spar.

I think Matt's install might have been Futaba with custom antennas. I have had ZERO issues with the Airtronics FHSS-3 with antennas installed in the wing. I can't imagine doing it any other way, it is so clean.

I would also recommend going with the light lay up.