HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:02 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,453 Posts
When you put it that way, I feel crazy for spending 6 hours setting up top drive setups. Might be time to get on the CX2 list...
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:11 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,913 Posts
Add install wing peg, and subtract ballance, and you are there. It ballances perfectly with just the supplied gear and battery up front... nice and neutral, but still stable and trimmable... somewhere areound the 85-86mm mark.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:25 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,116 Posts
Thanks Mike. Now I need to get a shovel out so I can put up the For Sale sign so I can afford one.

As for what Joe said in the pod cast (I tried to transcript it here):
Quote:
....two of the V3s had a Glass skin with just a disser leading edge... Enjoyed the performance the most because they had very good high speed cruise which was helpful for coming up wind for the windy conditions....

Also had brought 2 Concepts which were really good for the intermediate conditions as well as for turn around tasks. Seemed to be an airplane that matched my skillsets quite nicely for doing 5 x 2 and 1,2,3,4 where turn around time is really important.......

(difference between V3 and Concepts)
The V3 I concidered my Driver. When the air was active and needed something that could move around the sky alot I chose the V3. the Concept is an easier airplane to fly. Little bit easier for working thermals cause of the handling qualities may be due to tail size, airfoils, not sure what. The concept is a really easy airplane to work thermals with where as the V3 had a little bit more pilot work load. When I need something that I can launch high and catch a thermal and go way downwind and then cruise back upwind without alot of loss of altitude, the V3 was the best airplane for the challenging conditions....
Do all of you feel the same as Joe? I do not know how much airtime Joe had on the Concept at podcast time but it seems that it is a better all around whereas the V3 is really , for him, just for when conditions get bad. He also indicated that the BlackMagic he had built by someone in the orient was able to float better than his Stobel (do not know which version). this I think lends credence that the Stobel is more of a launch high - run far plane only and the Concept is more of a do everything plane. that may be more to my liking since it is good to be proficient with one plane, to me, regardless of how the conditions change. It is nice to know that one plane can handle them all.

I really like that how a plane is used by certain pilots is expressed. It definitely helps when one is deciding amongst them. thanks everyone.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Aug 12, 2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:01 PM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
As for what Joe said in the pod cast...

Do all of you feel the same as Joe? I do not know how much airtime Joe had on the Concept at podcast time but it seems that it is a better all around whereas the V3 is really , for him, just for when conditions get bad. He also indicated that the BlackMagic he had built by someone in the orient was able to float better than his Stobel (do not know which version). this I think lends credence that the Stobel is more of a launch high - run far plane only and the Concept is more of a do everything plane. that may be more to my liking since it is good to be proficient with one plane, to me, regardless of how the conditions change. It is nice to know that one plane can handle them all.

I really like that how a plane is used by certain pilots is expressed. It definitely helps when one is deciding amongst them. thanks everyone.
Sounds good to me. Replace Stobel with Steigeisen and it's exactly what I would say.

I need a CX2, however the Blaster 3 will have to suffice now until I can get my hands on one.
SOAR-Steve is offline Find More Posts by SOAR-Steve
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:37 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,611 Posts
Steve,

If you want to get rid of your Steigeisen, let me know. I still like them.

Reto
RetoF3X is online now Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:30 AM
Los Angeles Industry, California, United States
Joined May 2003
461 Posts
Where can I buy one of these?
lagcisco is offline Find More Posts by lagcisco
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:36 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
11 Posts
Prebuilt CX2

Just flew my newly arrived CX2. I ordered another one the same evening.

All my PB's went out the door on the first flight alone. I needed a spotter with binoculars to keep track of it.

To say that this is a great glider is absurd. It is simply stunning in every aspect, from design to build quality to shipping.

This is the most refined example of a pre-built DLG. I am a fan for life and have put myself on the list for 2 of all Roland's next gliders.

Three out of five launches were 10 minutes plus flights. And that was on the maiden flight/ trim flight day.

Only thing I'm now scared of is not having it.

Way, way to go! Roland you are truly a master and i will come visit you when I am back home in Hong Kong.
Hoerem is offline Find More Posts by Hoerem
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:03 PM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcisco View Post
Where can I buy one of these?
Here is my mail address:

roland.sommer@hkm-taiwan.com.tw

cheers,
Roland
KINETIC is offline Find More Posts by KINETIC
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:09 PM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoerem View Post
Just flew my newly arrived CX2. I ordered another one the same evening.

All my PB's went out the door on the first flight alone. I needed a spotter with binoculars to keep track of it.

To say that this is a great glider is absurd. It is simply stunning in every aspect, from design to build quality to shipping.

This is the most refined example of a pre-built DLG. I am a fan for life and have put myself on the list for 2 of all Roland's next gliders.

Three out of five launches were 10 minutes plus flights. And that was on the maiden flight/ trim flight day.

Only thing I'm now scared of is not having it.

Way, way to go! Roland you are truly a master and i will come visit you when I am back home in Hong Kong.
Fl.... Many thanks for the wonderful flowers.....

My door is open 24/7 and the beer is already in the ice..... Herzlich willkommen!

Cheers,

Roland
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:37 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
Roland, from what I've been hearing from other Concept pilots, the NiMh batteries you are using are second to none. Any chance you could tell us where they are coming from?
carlsoti is online now Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:07 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,785 Posts
Results from BSOC

I'm just home from Blue Skies over Colorado. As has been mentioned, there were quite a few Concepts out there - including mine. I gotta say that they did very well for me. They definitely made a difference for me, allowing me to make my times several times in situations that I wouldn't have been able to succeed in with my old plane. Love em.

On a different note: I did experience a radio lockout. Fortunately I was able to regain control with no harm. This is with a 8-ch FASST receiver with antennae in the wings in "Mike Smith" fashion. After that scare, I will be switching to dangling antennae - "GMo" style! There's just too much carbon in play with the in-wing installation.

-m@
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:45 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,913 Posts
Good job Matt, and nice to know you didn't crash on that lockout. That install is mot optimum for reception that is for sure. I have had a couple of 'events' too, but I am leaving the antennas buried for now.

Cheers

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:14 PM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
KAN NiMh batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Roland, from what I've been hearing from other Concept pilots, the NiMh batteries you are using are second to none. Any chance you could tell us where they are coming from?
Thanks for asking Tim,
Those 4.8V 400mAh packs are custom made for use in within the CONCEPT family by "KAN", one of the most experienced producers of NiMh batteries.

I have chosen those batteries to overcome multiple draw-backs as given by any LiPo either 1- or 2 cell configuration.
The primary reasons to use a good NiMH batteriy instead are for me:
1) the full 400mAh (+) capacity, the very necessary very low internal resistance for a very high peak current is available for operation times of at least 1.5 hours (with some safety reserve) under use of 4 digital servos.
2) The weight and compact mass of the battery allows for amost perfect CG without adding further lead for trimming as dead weight. "KAN" ist the only one producer of the 2/3AAA cell size which is ideal, especially for use in DLG's.
3) The handling is very easy and the cells can be fast charged up to 5C (nominal charge: 1C - 2.5C)
4) More robust and stable under low temperature conditions.
6) No voltage regulator necessary. No additional but avoidable failure source.
5) last not least, those NiMh packs are reasonably cheaper than any LiPo configuration and one or more charged back-up packs can be always at hand for quick battery exchange in no time.

I have 2 different cell configurations in stock:
1) 4x4 cube for wider pod sizes
2) 2x2 in-line as used for the CX2 in more narrow pod sizes.

The attached spec sheet will give any necessary info about the cell data and electrical characteristics at charge and discharge
The Pack weight (fully charged) is typically 32g incl. cable and JR-plug

Roland
Last edited by KINETIC; Aug 14, 2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:20 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
Thanks Roland. I'll have to give the KAN cells another try. I had bought a few packs from an online battery pack maker, and was not very happy with the results. It could be I was abusing the packs, without knowing.
carlsoti is online now Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:06 AM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Thanks Roland. I'll have to give the KAN cells another try. I had bought a few packs from an online battery pack maker, and was not very happy with the results. It could be I was abusing the packs, without knowing.
The packs I provide for the CX2's are "KAN" factory assembled. Every single cell is tested, pack sellected and properly contact welded. Only this measures can guarantee a good functional pack at full nominal capacity and long life time.

If even one of those measures are misunderstood and even not or not correctly done, perhaps just one cell doesn't match, the result will make you not happy. The online maker will make money.... I will make a good functional planes.... and make my customers and friends happy
Last edited by KINETIC; Aug 15, 2011 at 01:56 PM.