HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:25 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,901 Posts
Even with the smaller surfaces of earlier designs, there was always a ton of control availbable. Just need to deflect that flaperon more. Reaction time is not so critical as correct reaction, then judgement, then execution of course change to seek indicated lift. But regarding easy to fly vs. hard to fly, or more v. less attention paid to one model over another...there is no substitute for paying the most (like 99%) of you attention to your own plane, and reading what the effect of the air around it has on it.. then reacting to that info.... Again - JW says just this in his PodCast. I am always surprised at how much great productive air good pilots fly through because they are focused on following a dude that 'looks' to be in lift. I'm like "oh, there, turn, turn, TURN" nothin....straight on through he goes...

So handling, pilot work load, harder to fly, responsiveness, sensitivity, and stability among other oft used terms all apply differently when talking about how good a glider is to you the individual pilot. Look for a glider that when set up to fly easily with a good CG, ample control throws, and proper mixes, flies at the speed appropriate for each flight mode and straight and level when trimmed in calm conditions (ie don't trim the model for circling flight) Then all else is up to you.

Cheers.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:29 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,053 Posts
much aprpeciated all.

Rolland responded also to my questions and definitely a real nice guy.

Thanks Rolland as well.

Now, if I choose to buy one, how to scare up THAT kind of dough!!!

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:32 PM
just one more launch...
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Oct 2006
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
much aprpeciated all.

Rolland responded also to my questions and definitely a real nice guy.

Thanks Rolland as well.

Now, if I choose to buy one, how to scare up THAT kind of dough!!!

Frank
Do what I'm doing - selling my car!
It's all about priorities.
meiche is online now Find More Posts by meiche
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:12 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,151 Posts
Sell the kids, scale down to a rented room, many options.

In all seriousness Mike let me fly his Concept early one morning. The conditions were dead calm and Mike does know how to set up a plane, but even with a different transmitter it felt like it dropped in and I did not have to make any mental adjustments to learn how to fly the plane. I've sampled just about everything out there and you can tell the Concept is extremely well thought out. Same feeling I got from sampling Daryl's Icon2, you think it and it happens.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:27 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djensen View Post
I did notice at BSOC that all the Concepts seemed to out-launch all other planes on the field... and George's was just wicked-high. That Concept of his makes a wicked-fast rotate to climb, and then it's just straight up.

I haven't yet had an opportunity to fly a Concept myself... perhaps it's a good thing...

Every plane I have seen George launch the last couple years does that!

He even gave me a chance to throw a Stobel of his, while he held the tranny. I was amazed how fast it rotated up, probably less tha 6 ft in front of me!

I'm an out of shape 63. I was able to put 25 ft more altitude on that plane than my own. Half was my old plane vs the Stobel & half I believe was his launch presets, getting it climbing straight up immediately.

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:16 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
When I got a hold of George's "old" concepts, I made mention that it was "more involving" to fly, or something to that effect. Keep in mind, I had barely been flying DLG for a year, and my only other comparison was a well worn Blaster2. I would suspect that a lot of my comments back then could be attributed to learning to fly and trim a plane of greater capability that my skill at that time.

FWIW, I also flew my "light" Concept at BSOC, and performed pretty well, considering my lack of airtime lately. On Sunday morning, in the first round, I scored the only 1000 in my heat, and did it with less than a full score. (2:50 on a 4 min max, last flight round)
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:39 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
I'm not flying nearly enough lately, darn it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
Yes MattN had two John J had two and I took three. Are you flying much? Cheers
danfitz is offline Find More Posts by danfitz
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:02 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,626 Posts
I love them CX2
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:52 AM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
Me loves 'em too!
danfitz is offline Find More Posts by danfitz
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:11 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,053 Posts
Is it a west coast thing? I do not think I have heard of anyone on the eat flying one, but I could be wrong.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:58 AM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
Is it a west coast thing? I do not think I have heard of anyone on the eat flying one, but I could be wrong.
Approximately 2 a week are being built. It will be a slow trickle, from the west.
SOAR-Steve is offline Find More Posts by SOAR-Steve
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:57 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,053 Posts
I guess when you look at the fact that they are including the rudder and elevator digital servos, 2 batteries and all the wiring and what not, the price is not really all that different from its competition.

the nice thing is that it all comes in a single box and needed to be shipped form several different suppliers!!

I ask about the East coast - West coast thing because I see that there seems to be a difference in other aspects of soaring and was wondering if preferences, contitions or some differences between them is causing the East coast to be Stobel crazy and the West to be chaning over to CX2s.

The again, maybe the West coast guys are more adventurous and willing to try new stuff sooner. It could also be the fact that, I think, there are more pilots on the West coast and therefore they get more opportunity to see diferent stuff since one pilot could expose so many more. East, may take more time unless they travel alot. Unfortunately, I can't afford the long distant traveling at this time. Can hope that maybe one day.....

Frank
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:36 AM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,176 Posts
Everything seems to happen in California first...

I want to get on the CX2 list but I just bought 3 other planes that I could get sooner. Another month I should have the $$.

Steve
SOAR-Steve is offline Find More Posts by SOAR-Steve
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:43 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,626 Posts
Frank it is very nice to have the rudder on with horn installed, tail with horn installed, strings ready from the bell cranks to put on the servos. Did I mention that the screws really work unlike the stobels. Also the workmanship is far better than the stobel. It was a hard choice for me as I was the longest and the best over all pilot with the stobel you can check the wins from all the contest. Charlie then became just as good and then Jun and they caught on. Then they would not sponsor me and I was already flying the Concept and I made the change. This was long before the worlds at the JE and I did fantastic with the Concept. I also flew the Concept at Poway and won the prelims with the Concept. What I like most about it is that Roland is always trying to better his plane to stay on top and his planes are beautiful. I have not had servo problems with the with the Concepts. Be sure that the Stobel is a great plane if you have time to rework it and pray you get one with no problems with the wings folding fuses breaking servo and linkage trouble disconnecting from the servo. I hope that Thomas will be fixing all these problems and make his wing screw on without a file. Roland keep up the great work.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:36 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,053 Posts
All of that is done with the ARF? Man that's great.

I was wondering why his RTF was so cheap. It's because prety much EVERYTHING is already done for the ARF.

I didn't catch that when I was reading the thread.

Very nice Rolland!!!

It really makes the cost difference nonexistent and makes the CX2 even more a better deal.

Is there any need for a assembly manual?

Oh wait it is just:
1. glue in servo rail.
2. attach servos
3. Srew on stab
4. Install wing wiring
5. screw on wing.
6. Install battery and Rx
7. Ballance.

done