HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:35 AM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
586 Posts
Cool
Concept Xtreme 2

Well, the twins are here! Now I am REALLY excited.

I received notice on Tuesday that Roland was shipping my gliders and they arrived on Thursday.

The shipping box is double wall all around and very stout. Critical parts were wrapped in bubble wrap and the whole box was filled with foam peanuts. All parts arrived in perfect condition.

On close inspection I was stunned at the extremely high level of completeness. This has to be the most ARF DLG available. It is more of an assembly than a build. The craftsmanship is outstanding, easily on par with the best I have seen.

The parts kit includes a 4.8V, 400 MAH 4 x 2/3 AAA, Ni-Mh battery and two 7 gram digital servos for the rudder and elevator. The servos seem to be high quality and are free of slop. A throwing peg is included. Roland even included an embroidered Concept hat!

Ailerons are driven by RDS with digital servos installed in the mold. All control surfaces including the elevator and rudder are gap sealed at the factory.

The vertical tail came assembled to the fuselage boom and the rudder horn and push rod are installed.

The elevator horn is pre installed and so is the push rod.

Rudder and elevator are driven by a double bell crank system that is hidden in the stab pylon. Pull-Pull strings are installed and strung to the nose area. All of this is done at the factory.

For the tail surfaces, all there is left to do is mount the stab, glue the included servo tray into the pod area, mount the servos and attach the pull-pull strings.

The canopy is held in place by the usual carbon rod which comes pre installed.

A nice touch is the full sized drawing of the tip area with dimensions to aid in the install of the throwing peg.

I am a slow builder but I should easily be able to finish and fly one this weekend.
danfitz is offline Find More Posts by danfitz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:47 AM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
586 Posts
Cx2

Weights:
Wing one - 149.80 gm
Wing two - 148.52
Fuse one - 44.32 (vert fin installed)
Fuse two - 44.95 " " " "
Stab one - 8.07
Stab two - 8.10
Servo - 6.68
Peg - 2.04
Battery - 32.89
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:59 AM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
586 Posts
Cx2

A couple more...
Last edited by danfitz; Feb 21, 2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:12 AM
Joined Jan 2008
58 Posts
Concepts

Dan: You lucky dog! They look fantastic....got 2 on order but will not have them until May.....good luck....Jon
beach1 is online now Find More Posts by beach1
Old Feb 19, 2011, 08:45 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,703 Posts
Dan, I'm envious. I wasn't feeling quite as bold, so I only ordered one - But it'll be months before I see it.

Even though the build looks simple, please post some pics...

-m@
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:58 AM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
586 Posts
Yeah, I jumped in early. As soon as I flew Mike's I knew I wanted one, so I bought two!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 01:10 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,853 Posts
Never mind
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Last edited by LifeisGood; Feb 19, 2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Found the source
Old Feb 20, 2011, 05:21 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,703 Posts
hey Dan, any evidence of re-engineering of the boom where George and Mike managed to blow them up?

-m@
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2011, 05:28 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,845 Posts
this has got me drooling..........again.............
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:34 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN View Post
hey Dan, any evidence of re-engineering of the boom where George and Mike managed to blow them up?

-m@
I may be incorrect in my assessment, but this is what I know of the issue.

In talking with George Morris, I gathered that the issue was bad CF fabric that Roland had gotten. IIRC, these first few planes were built just after his shop was destroyed by a typhoon. He had to resupply all his materials in a hurry, and thought that the CF he had gotten was not of the same quality he was using prior to the typhoon. After hearing of the issues, he went to a different cloth that had already proven itself.

Again, I could be wrong, so don't take that as gospel.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:40 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
586 Posts
Yes, that about sums it up. After the JEM Roland did tests and found problems with the fabric he was using for the booms. He has since switched to another fabric and test results were very positive. Outside of Mike's and George's gliders no other bad booms were shipped.

According to Roland - "Stiffness has increased by little over 40% and buckling strength by little under 300%!!!! The weight is just 1g more".

I can verify that the booms are VERY stiff. I flew #1 CX2 this morning and I am very happy! Thank you Roland!!

I will post some more pics later.

Dan
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:47 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,703 Posts
dang it, Dan, you got me all excited about the CX2 again - so much so that i had to add a second one to my order
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:19 AM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
586 Posts
Anything I can do to help a friend Matt!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:45 AM
Space Cowboy
United States, CA, Vandenberg Air Force Base
Joined Jan 2007
1,123 Posts
Great looking plane. I love how clean everything is!
ShoGinn is offline Find More Posts by ShoGinn