HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:42 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
ya I wish it were that easy I wouldn't be talking about it I would have already done it LOL
when I originally setup my gear I arranged it so that the batteries in the most forward location hit the factory cg and that gave a lot of room to move them back (factory cg's always are nose heavy) so I planned for that but now batteries are all the way back and cg is at 122m back from LE and factory is 105mm, so its a little tougher to go back any further without relocating gear but it seems thats what I'm going to do next.
WOW you do have it quite a bit back! I could not imagine it being tail heavy at that location! What about the elevator trim position I mentioned is it pretty neutral?

I think one of the biggest issues is the fact that it is not using a full moving horizontal stab for elevator, the fact that you took your time to increase the size of the control surface is awesome! But maybe it is preventing a correct flair for that airframe design?? Not sure but it might be just a matter of trying a couple different techniques and see what works best.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:19 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
ya Brian I am still carrying just a little up trim in the elev but not much. this is another indication that I may still be able to move the cg back more and I agree its just a matter of getting the right combination of things to get a proper flare for landings. I think also my inexperience with jet airframes has me worried about getting it too slow and stalling it so at least 50% of the problem is me lol
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:42 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,288 Posts
Well that airframe has a pretty good amount of wing surface so maybe you just need to take the throttle off a bit earlier and just add it as you come in... How much does it wheigh again?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:03 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,899 Posts
I know most guys focus on the top speed...it is a model of a jet after all . I always put my energy into low speed handling. My suggestion would be, and its boring, shoot approaches. Hornets are draggy....I would use that knowledge to aid you in landing. Also take the model up to 3 mistakes high and do a low to moderate speed minimum radius turn. This will speak volumes as to what you can and can't do on that base leg turn to final.

I will offer this warning. Hornets can fly on the CG edge, too slow, high AoA and turning tight it will SPIN IN! Recovery is easy, if you are high enough. Power OFF, ailerons in the direction of the spin, Down elevator until it's nosing down...unless its inverted . Add power once spin looks like a roll. Fly away...clean your shorts.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:03 PM
planeptr
Joined Mar 2009
221 Posts
Het F-18

John, try slowing at altitude where you have enought height to correct. This thing really glides, I think you will be surprised what good control you have and how stable it feels. Good to see you are back in the air!
FDodds is offline Find More Posts by FDodds
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:46 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Well that airframe has a pretty good amount of wing surface so maybe you just need to take the throttle off a bit earlier and just add it as you come in... How much does it wheigh again?
Brian its right at 8lbs, I'm usually out of the throttle in the base to final turn and then it just glides forever, for such a draggy airframe it sure doesn't slow down very much, I think I made the paint job too shiny and slippery maybe I should stop waxing it lol
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:50 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDodds View Post
John, try slowing at altitude where you have enought height to correct. This thing really glides, I think you will be surprised what good control you have and how stable it feels. Good to see you are back in the air!
ya I need to do more of that for sure. Im sure it will all come together and then I will be laughing at myself for making such a big deal out of it.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:54 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
I know most guys focus on the top speed...it is a model of a jet after all . I always put my energy into low speed handling. My suggestion would be, and its boring, shoot approaches. Hornets are draggy....I would use that knowledge to aid you in landing. Also take the model up to 3 mistakes high and do a low to moderate speed minimum radius turn. This will speak volumes as to what you can and can't do on that base leg turn to final.

I will offer this warning. Hornets can fly on the CG edge, too slow, high AoA and turning tight it will SPIN IN! Recovery is easy, if you are high enough. Power OFF, ailerons in the direction of the spin, Down elevator until it's nosing down...unless its inverted . Add power once spin looks like a roll. Fly away...clean your shorts.
some good advice Kevin I will do some high altitude stalls and slow flight and get more comfortable with it
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:57 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
Brian its right at 8lbs, I'm usually out of the throttle in the base to final turn and then it just glides forever, for such a draggy airframe it sure doesn't slow down very much, I think I made the paint job too shiny and slippery maybe I should stop waxing it lol
That weight should be fine for that big of a jet, kill power at 3/4 of the down wind leg and make the base at idle then add it in as you need to. MattinAZ said that his prodesign model would fly around at 1/3rd throttle and would float for ever so just giver her more room to shed airspeed.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:07 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
Well I did the lateral balance and had to add 15grams of weight to the left wing tip to get it balanced, that seems like a lot to me. I hope this takes some left trim out of the ailerons. I also rechecked wing incidence and it was dead on so hopefully the lateral balance was the problem.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 01:34 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,288 Posts
I am guessing that will solve it! thats a decent amount of weight for a lateral balance. John out of curiosity do you use a specific wing incidence meter?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:05 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
ya Brian I have a robart incidence meter from my old pattern days that I used to check it
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:16 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
well we should be getting esc back soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick del Castillo
Well, we just released the ICE2-HV for shipment. The boards are completed, was just waiting for engineering release after the final testing.

Thanx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd
when will the ICE2's start shipping out?

Started shipping today.
Last edited by jcdfrd; Aug 30, 2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:48 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
Old Sep 02, 2011, 05:51 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
ok I shipped my HV120 out on the 26th of July and today just recieved my UPS notification that my controller is on the way hoorah!!

Frank
have you recieved your ups notification yet I think you shipped out the day before me
Last edited by jcdfrd; Sep 03, 2011 at 12:52 PM.