HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2011, 01:50 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
There are no specs listed for them anywhere which is why it was a guessing game as to whether these would work.
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2011, 02:29 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,826 Posts
are they the all metal version those handle 4 and 5mm gear wire and planes upto 15lbs those would be too big all the other lander retracts look great they all say upto 7.5lb planes, I just talked to my buddy and his are the 79.00 dollar lander retracts and he's bending the drive screw on hard landings but they also say 7.5lbs planes so go figure
the retract from hobbypartz look identical to landers but I dont see one that matches the dimensions they are slightly bigger than the all metal ones with the same size gear wire 5mm

check the size of your gear wire is it 3mm or 5mm, not sure what struts you got but those might be ok also if your gear wire is 3mm I think your ok on the retracts just may have to use diff struts, even if you had the all metal version I would still probably use those and go to the 4mm wire and find some struts to fit those

shoot some pics I'm curious

John
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Mar 22, 2011, 02:32 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,826 Posts
do you see your retracts or struts in here?

http://www.sonicelectric.com/Merchan...ory_Code=LDERS

John
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:04 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
It looks like they have 5mm shafts and yes it appears either of these would work if I had the right shaft diameter.

http://www.sonicelectric.com/Merchan...oduct_Count=12
http://www.sonicelectric.com/Merchan...oduct_Count=10

Here are the pics I took

Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:11 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
I am also starting to get very concerned since the fan unit really does not fit in this plane with the provided ducting lol. What a disaster. BTW the motors for the retracts are too big to fit in the formers lol.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:24 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,826 Posts
so you got the good shi, well couple options their, one try and find struts with 4,or 5mm wire (I read on the landers that you have they should come a 4mm insert or somthing to go either 4 or 5mm) I would try to go 4mm, or two pull the strut 5mm wire out of the retract and have it turned down to 3mm for your struts, the F16 30deg struts would have worked better for 3mm shaft

looks like these would work, just bend the axels down to 30 degs and these will slide right on your retracts
http://www.sonicelectric.com/Merchan...roduct_Count=9

wait are those the ones you have? you might be just fine

John
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Yes those are the ones I have. They are far too long. If they were about an inch to inch and a half shorter they would be fine.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Did you ever trial fit your lander DPS fan in this plane??
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:33 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,826 Posts
one of the problems us F18 owners have is the front strut length needs to be longer than what is avail so mixing and matching is required, the mains should work no problem but you need to lenghten the front gear wire, with mine they came with a full length gear so I can cut down to size, with the style you have you will have to remove the 5mm wire and replace with a longer piece and I would go to 4mm all the way around to save weight and plenty strong enough

John
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:45 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,826 Posts
yes I did fit the lander fan I have, its the older style one (not dps) so the curved lip has to be replaced with this one,
http://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/RC-...L90MMINLET.htm
will not work otherwise and after playing around with the cg the jet will not like the extra weight of the lander fan I think you will be ok but one of your batteries will need to go over the retract assembly and one in the normal location to get it to balance, so for me I'm going with the het fan and arc motor which is about 150grams lighter and the batteries will be together on the battery tray, even with the lighter motor and fan I have to put rec and rec bat in front of the nose retract to get good cg

John
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
I'm gonna send these retracts back and the guy I bought them from is going to attempt to get some different ones. The problem with the lander fan is the motor tube will not fit. When I meet the fan to the intake the motor tube hits the mold in the back of the opening, without the ducting. Meaning if I want to use this fan I need to do some serious modification and probably leave the ducting out. This cannot be good. I am thinking I may have spent a lot of money on a fan unit that will not work, this sucks bad!!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:55 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,826 Posts
if your into making mods, this one will help you greatly, take the virtical stabs and remake them from balsa you will save a ton of weight from where it needs to be removed, those things weighed 120 grams total which is ridiculous. you could cut that in half and take 2 plus onces out of the tail. just a thought. I was going to do it but too anxious to fly it, I want to get this thing done and flying

John
Old Mar 22, 2011, 04:04 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,826 Posts
well if you cant send the fan back for full credit then just buy a Het 9305 fan for 48bucks shipped and use the lander motor in it, that would work fine

other wise a Het fan or wemo fan and a arc or typhoon motor is the ticket. probably about the same or less cost than the lander setup, the lander setup is nice because they run pretty smooth out of the box, however if you buy the fan and motor from the same place they will mount and balance the fan/motor for you for a small fee. I like balancing fans so I do that my self

John
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:41 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Not sure what I am going to do at this point. I was excited to get all these new parts and now just feelings of dissapointment. I have even considering starting over with a new airframe lol.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:37 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,826 Posts
yep know what ya mean about the disappointment thing I'm having some of that as well with my retract selection. my build has come to a complete halt because of that

have you considered removing the motor cone and just running a heatsink it may shorten it just enough and Ive seen guys recommending that anyway because of overheating issues, also with the straight inlet it will move the fan forward into the intake duct alittle, this all may work into just a tight fit.

my lander motor has the cone on it and I didnt have any issues getting it in but I didnt have the bifurcated piece in their either so maybe I just missed that problem

hang in there it will work out
John