HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:40 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Here is a pic. It's hard to see but no matter how much I push the wing up it won't close the gap at the top.

I agree that this kit could have been way better and it wouldn't cost the manufacturer that much. For example, make aileron servo mounts in the wing, retract formers assembled, better canopy etc.
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:00 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
remove all the spars and try test fitting it to the fuse, the wood spar that comes in the kit is supposed to be tapered top and bottom going into the wing, not sure if thats whats going on but removing it and test fitting should shed some light
my wings fit like crap also, let me know if I can help.

John
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:12 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
just thought of something, if your wood spar is already glued in to the fuse, slide the wing on and put your fingers on the bottom of the wing right below the wood spar and gently push the wing in and up as to close the gap if you feel the wing spar pushing the wing where your fingers are then the spar is holding it down you could taper the bottom of the spar to get a better fit

next question, are you just trying to get the best fit possible or are you making the wings level? if you are setting it on your bench and leveling the wings then theirs going to be a gap if you look at the bottom of the wing i'll bet its tight to the fuse

John
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:22 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
With the left side I had to hold the wing up with quite a bit of force to close the gap. With the right side I have no room to even move it up to close the gap. I have trimmed the wing spar and it does nothing. I am going to tinker with it for a little while longer tonight.

The spar is already glued into the wing but I have a knife and cutting tools lol. I did make mounts for my ailerons though.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:07 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
ok got the right side glued. I might have to drip a little more in the gap tomorrow but for the most part I got it closed. I trimmed a bit from the corner of the wing spar and it worked. I'll glue the horizontals tomorrow and the verticals soon. Need to get my retracts so I can cut the doors and everything.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:21 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
great! thats good to hear, one less thing to do,
oh you havent done the retracts yet? you have some fun in store for you. lol
I would wait to glue anything more untill the retracts are in, I did that first. what a pain in the

I went and ordered the turnigy 380max servos for elev and steering, couldnt beat the cost 50bucks for three

John
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:40 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Yeah I was thinking about the retracts being a pain with the wings on but I couldn't wait any longer. This thing has been in pieces on my dining room table for a few weeks I want to make some progress. I am going to try and mount my mains where they retract into the fuselage and can't be seen. Not sure how this will happen but I'll figure something out lol. When you get your steering servo in will you post a pic I'm interested to see how you did it.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:30 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
thats how i did mine I can post pics later if you like, I used straight struts with trailing links and lessened the angle to about 10 or 15 degrees so they go back into fuse with no hole visible on the side.
which retracts did you decide to go with?

John
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:56 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
RC lander retracts for above 90mm jet
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:33 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
those look like nice retracts, I may have to up grade to those later if this thing goes well.
I'm currently working on the front retract design and have the steering almost worked out so I can post some pics later. going out to fly my 100mph f35 be back later.

John
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Cool have fun. It's way too windy in Texas today so ill be going to work instead. Not to mention our field is closed due to the SAE competition.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:19 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
here's a video of my buddy's F18 from today
http://www.youtube.com/user/1jcd?fea.../1/p4bEdJmmm0Q

John
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:25 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Looks pretty fast. I'll be back at it on Monday hopefully when the field opens back up. Making good progress on the build I installed the aileron control horns and assembled the nose gear former.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:36 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Have to spend another 200 dollars on a castle 110a hv ESC. This plane is costing a lot lol. Hopefully it will be worth it.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:26 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
hold off assembly of main gear formers, I remade the the main former to change the angle of the gear and its easier if its not assembled I'll get some pics up tomorrow

we got a couple of passes at just over 100mph so it goes pretty good but the funny thing is I ran the numbers on the ducting today at the field and its way out of wack intake and exhaust are over 100% fsa so what that means is their is some more speed to be had. exhaust ducts were at 110% of fsa it should be around 85% so we will be rectifing that in the comming days

it doesnt do to bad for a 70dollar fan and motor combo

John