HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:45 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
oh right 4 pole of course, I was getting confused with my buddies outrunner which is the 10 pole motor anyway 41k is in the sweet spot. cant wait to see it fly, damn thats gonna be cool.... dude your blazzin the path I have yet to see anyone doing what we are doing with this model.

I just recieved an email from the retract mfg thier sending a replacement retract immediately

John
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:48 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkzach View Post
Also according to the data log it was 2557 watts
130mph here you come, damn your gonna make me buy a 5s pack now lol!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:49 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Awesome, I am just praying that my new retracts will show up within the next two weeks so I can get this beautiful jet in the air. At half throttle it felt like the power of my other jet at WOT lol. Is 152 too hot for the ESC? The average temperature was 106.

I am tempted to throw the Freewing retracts in and go for it lol. I'm just afraid they can't handle the weight.

Don't know if you could see the wing of the other plane but I wet sanded it tonight and it is coming out very nice also.
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:55 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
When do you think your plane will be up and going?

FYI a 5s and a 4s pack fit perfectly in the battery tray. It really balanced well with the battery in front of the nose gear.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:05 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
Awesome, I am just praying that my new retracts will show up within the next two weeks so I can get this beautiful jet in the air. At half throttle it felt like the power of my other jet at WOT lol. Is 152 too hot for the ESC? The average temperature was 106.

I am tempted to throw the Freewing retracts in and go for it lol. I'm just afraid they can't handle the weight.

Don't know if you could see the wing of the other plane but I wet sanded it tonight and it is coming out very nice also.
not sure on the 152f but thats a lot hotter than what im used to seeing when I run mine on the bench, mine rarely goes over 110f but I also haven't run it for that long, just remember the esc needs 5mph air flow over it for proper cooling.

I would wait for the right retracts although those freewings look an awfull lot like the ones Im using, can we say gentle landings
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
lol yeah I'm gonna wait. If I install the formers and have to modify them for the new retracts it will be a total pain in the ass. I have been playing with the location of everything under the canopy and I think my motor wires are too long lol. I think I am going to mount the ESC above the nose gear that way I will get cooling and it will be in good position to plug in. Still need to wait on the final set of retracts so that I can get the steering servo mounted and then test the CG again. Still a lot of work to be done but it really is coming together quite nicely. I can't wait to get it all finished up and fly!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:21 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
When do you think your plane will be up and going?

FYI a 5s and a 4s pack fit perfectly in the battery tray. It really balanced well with the battery in front of the nose gear.
thats a good question, well I need to glue in front retract mount and cut hole for the nose wheel(waiting for retract) then cut elev servo holes and mount servo's at that point I might be able to paint fuse, once the fuse is painted then I can glue on wings and stabs hookup linkages and mount all the gear and fly, hopefully in the next month or two. oh and still need to make an exhaust duct also thats going to be fun....not

it looks like 10s would be no problem in this airframe i may end up doing that down the road
Old Apr 12, 2011, 01:11 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Yeah 9s fits with room to spare at least with the 4000mah batteries.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:18 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
So fitting my electric retracts has not been fun. I'm pretty sure the mains will be fine but the nose gear is going to be a challenge. I think I will have to do a pull pull set up for the nose. Since I wrecked my other F-18 today I was going to try and get this one done but it looks like I may have to wait until the other retracts arrive. Booooo!!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:39 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
178 Posts
Hello to you two fellows who have posted a lot in this thread. I have the HET 90 mm Hornet and am about to get started on mine. I have only given the kit the "once over lightly". I have a lot of experience in RC, but, am new to the EDF. I started out last year and have several foamies. This will be my first fibreglass plane and my first with retracts. I have a HET 6 cell set-up that will make it plenty fast enough for me. I have read both threads on this plane here in RC Groups and have found them to be very helpful, so thanks to you both. I couldn't believe that the fan just "plugged in" to the ducting and had considered doing some mounts like you guys, so I feel better that others have had the same idea. The issues with the wing attachments are well documented and I will be sure to get that right. I intended to do the "flaperon" thing, so I could have flaps on landing, but, John I'm not sure I understand your explanation. Are you saying that every "up" input of the elevator is coupled to a bit of flap mixing, so that in normal flight you get a little flap with every elevator input?? My thought was only that the "flaps" would deploy on landing and still retain the aileron control like in a normal Flaperon style. I know that sometimes when flaps are deployed you mix in a little down elevator to avoid the "ballooning" effect, but, again am not sure I'm reading you right. I have some custom decals being made that will replicate a Hornet that was done for the 70th anniversary of the Canadian Air Force. It of course features large Maple Leafs and will make it immediately identifiable as a Canadian Hornet. I was in San Diego all last week and saw lots of flight activity from Naval Air Station North Island and toured the U.S.S. Midway museum. Great Stuff. First time to California and loved every minute. Best Regards to you both
Respectfully Bob Byrnes.
Bob Byrnes is offline Find More Posts by Bob Byrnes
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:24 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Bob,

I wish you the best of luck with the build. Definitely not the easiest kit to work with. I still had to make my own mounts for the fan but it worked out really well. The biggest pain for me has been the retracts. While I'm sure I will get everything figured out but I think most people are putting spring/air retracts in this plane. I glued the horizontals in last night and I think I got them even lol.

I think I'm going to mount my ESC above the nose gear former that way it will get cooling from the open gear door. Kinda thinking I might install these freewing retracts as fixed gear until my new landing gear arrives.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:37 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
178 Posts
I have the HET retracts and hope they are OK. I have read since buying those that a lot of guys swear by the Spring Air 602's. Up until now all my jets have been throw launch and wing tank landers. That's OK with a lightweight foamie that floats in, but, I think I'll have higher landing speeds with the Hornet and it's time to move up to something a little quicker and maybe one day a true high performance E-jet. It only takes money...
Bob Byrnes is offline Find More Posts by Bob Byrnes
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:49 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
hey Bob
its actually a elev to flap mix that I have assigned to a switch so for take offs and landings I flip the switch and the mix is on, the flaps move proportionally with the elev. it is something you have to get used to at first but I wouldn't fly another jet without it now. it basically cuts in half your takeoffs and landings distance. also theirs no ballooning affect because the flaps are tied to the elev.
it works really good. set up the mix on one of your foamies first and try it. it makes for slow scale landings. let me know if your still not sure about what I'm talkiing about and I can post a video of my f35 and show the mix

Zach what happened...... you crashed your F18....... damn that sucks. did you get any flight time on it before the crash?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:05 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Byrnes View Post
I have the HET retracts and hope they are OK. I have read since buying those that a lot of guys swear by the Spring Air 602's. Up until now all my jets have been throw launch and wing tank landers. That's OK with a lightweight foamie that floats in, but, I think I'll have higher landing speeds with the Hornet and it's time to move up to something a little quicker and maybe one day a true high performance E-jet. It only takes money...
Bob
you have a true high performance e jet with your het F18 when you want to go faster just move up to 8 or 10cells. you can expect on 6s your jet will be 90 to 100mph (a little slow) on 8s should be 120 to 130mph (just about right) and on 10s it will do 140 to 150mph (too fast LOL!) these are rough numbers but you get the idea.

if you have any question during your build feel free ask us questions. man thats cool we have three in here now.
hey what scheme are you going to do?, did you get the grey version?
what 6s motor did you go with and esc

John
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:12 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
hey Bob
its actually a elev to flap mix that I have assigned to a switch so for take offs and landings I flip the switch and the mix is on, the flaps move proportionally with the elev. it is something you have to get used to at first but I wouldn't fly another jet without it now. it basically cuts in half your takeoffs and landings distance. also theirs no ballooning affect because the flaps are tied to the elev.
it works really good. set up the mix on one of your foamies first and try it. it makes for slow scale landings. let me know if your still not sure about what I'm talkiing about and I can post a video of my f35 and show the mix

Zach what happened...... you crashed your F18....... damn that sucks. did you get any flight time on it before the crash?
I hit my timer on final and had to go around due to traffic on the runway. I hit LVC right after my base turn and had to float the airplane, it stalled and nosed in. The nose of the airplane is trashed and I'm gonna have to get a new airframe