HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2011, 02:40 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Discussion
HET F-18 90mm RcLander DPS

So I have ordered this plane and will be using the DPS fan/motor combo. I am curious to know if this plane will take 2X 5s 3600mah batteries for a combined weight of 1000g. I am trying to decide if I should use the 10s or 8s power unit.

Also has anyone installed electric retracts on this plane yet??

Thanks in advance
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2011, 04:59 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
anyone?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:13 AM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,756 Posts
I don't believe you can get 10s in there...even 8s might be pushing it. It the electric retracts can support the weight and aren't too big they should work.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:36 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Thank you Kevin that was the answer I was looking for. I should get the airframe soon and I will start measuring for batteries. I guess I could always do the 6s fan combo it just wouldn't be as much power as I was looking for. It looks like the plane weighs about 6 lbs without batteries which means I would have less than 1:1 thrust to weight ratio on 6s, booooo. Maybe the 8s set up will work.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:30 PM
Pasadena, CA
Joined Mar 2007
437 Posts
8S 4000mah will fit.
just need to do some cutting.

4S 4000mah x2 in series

Battery Compartment Modification

Battery Compartment Extention

8S 4000mah, Perfect Fit. Batteries WAY UP FRONT for CG to balance an HET 700 motor

you might not need to push your batteries that far forward since the Lander DPS fan should be much lighter.

the HET 700 series are heavy.
i have been considering swapping out to a Lander DPS.
but i have yet to try them out.
the Lander DPS units look good though.
Brutikus is offline Find More Posts by Brutikus
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:32 PM
Pasadena, CA
Joined Mar 2007
437 Posts
geez.
never mind.
you were asking about the HET F-18...
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:31 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
I really appreciate the effort with pics and everything. Sure wish you did that on the HET. I was really hoping for 10s to work because of the thrust but I'll probably settle for the 8s DPS just to be safe. Im hoping the airframe will show up on Tuesday an I can test fit batteries and take measurements. I want this plane to scream. I'm gonna get a radar gun and clock this plane so I'm trying to make it fast. I like the RcLander dps units because they are metal and make good power at relatively low amps.

Thanks again for the response.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:03 PM
Pasadena, CA
Joined Mar 2007
437 Posts
yeah.
the numbers on the LANDER DPS units look almost too good to be true.

the HET F18 is considerably smaller than the StarMax airframe.
so i'm not sure if you can fit 2x 4S 4000.

you might have to go 2x 4S 2200 and hope the amp draw is low enough to give you decent flight times.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:20 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
I'll see what it looks like when it arrives.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:50 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Plane came in today Fuselage was damaged on top

Thankfully Robert at Electric Jet Factory is awesome and will be getting a new one to me!!

Upon first glance of the jet it looked sloppily put together by HET, but further inspection shows it just needs a few tweeks!

I measured the area for the battery and 2 4s 3600mah or 4000's should fit with no problem. Here are some pics of the mock up!

Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:47 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,827 Posts
firehawk
I'm building one of these also my setup is as follows
het 9305 w/arc 3655-2 on 8s 4000 nano's or 90mm lander fan 1280kv 8s I haven't decided which one to use the lander claims 7lbs of thrust and I think that will be more than the arc will do but not sure.
cc ice 100 esc
installing the changesun electric retracts v2, just finished the mains and seem to be good, I'm alittle worried about them handling the weight but will see

also i'm modifying the wings to have a 4mm carbon spar in addition to the wimpy one thats provided, I would recommend you do the same if your looking for high speed like I am.
robert at ejf said it will do 130plus on 8s and 150plus on 10s so at those speeds I dont know how the wings will stay on without a better spar.
also mine had alot of dihedral in the wings I removed all of it.
how was the finish on your kit, mine was terrible I'm repainting mine with automotive paint and matching the color
also installing rudders, cant have a 90mm jet without rudders (knife edge baby)

anyway if I can help in any way I will try, theirs not to much info on this jet out there so were kinda flying blind here.

John
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Feb 26, 2011, 02:19 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Thank you soooo much for responding to my thread. I have not even been able to start the build due to the damage on the fuselage during shipping. I am currently waiting for the factory to send me a new one. I have already purchased the RcLander 9s fan and have the retracts on order. I have looked over the instructions and they are useless lol. I am still trying to figure out where some of the wood formers need to be placed inside the airframe lol. I am also worried about fitting the RcLander combo in the fuselage with the ducting. Also I am going to have to figure out a way to mount the unit inside also as the fan does not have mounts.

If my math is correct I was figuring on 9s the plane RcLander fan would produce 8.8 lbs of thrust? Maybe I am mistaken.
The finish on my plane was good but like I said I will be getting a new fuselage.
I am doing a hobbywing 100A Esc and will use two 4 cells for the maiden flight probably. After that I will run 9s.

I am still on the fence about the rudders as I am trying to keep the weight down. Even though one extra servo won't be that big of a deal weight is weight.

I am absolutely doing the carbon spar as well. If you would please tell me how you are doing this modification. I was thinking of drilling a hole in each wing and the fuselage to join both wing halves together with one carbon spar, is this correct?
Last edited by firehawkzach; Feb 26, 2011 at 02:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:57 AM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,756 Posts
The HET 90mm build thread here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=987514
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:59 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Right but I have some formers that I think go in the front of the fuselage. I need to see the top side of the battery compartment. Perhaps it will be obvious once I start building the plane. I wish there was a picture of the battery location with the batteries removed so I can see how others have done it.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:04 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,827 Posts
kevin,

that thread is the only one out there, have you repaired yours yet, it sounded great, makes me lean towards the het fan after watching your vid again

what is your opinion on our fan/motor choices, their are no video's i can find with an 8s 90mm setup in this airframe

I have found with the four jets that have led me to this one that a elev to flap mix is crucial for slow gentle landings I dont see too manys guys taking advantage of this. maybe Im wrong and there just not talking about it.
did you use flaparons in your setup? if not you can cut down your takeoff and landings to 100ft. takeoffs are non eventfull it will just liftoff at 100ft, landings take a little practice and getting used too but no problem landing in 100ft

I'v read so many of your posts I feel like I know you. great to have you here in this thread

Thanks
John
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd