HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2011, 01:27 AM
Hampshire, England
Joined Aug 2002
505 Posts
Discussion
Pat Teakle Slingsby Dart 15 - help needed please.

Hi,

I've just aquired a part-built Slingsby Dart kit by Pat Teakle and need some info, as there is no plan or instructions included. I think it's quite old, but looks to be of good quality.

Has anyone built one of these kits? If so, what do you think of it?

I've got a glass fuz and wing top decking, canopy, balsa rudder and stabilisers, wing joiner and 2 wings with metal spoilers fitted.

Definitely not an ARF.

What I need are the CG and the recommended throws for rudder, elevator and ailerons. I can guess the throws, but the cg would be great!

ANy help or comments much appreciated.

Cheers, Martin

p.s forgot to mention that it's a 1:5 kit at 3m span.
martinh is offline Find More Posts by martinh
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:11 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,580 Posts
Hi there Martin, I built one many years ago, not a bad model but make sure you go with the larger tailplane (pat shows the sport version with more are and the scale smaller one)
I flew mine with the scale one and it was a bit of a dog, but with the standard tail blanks as they come it isn't too bad a model. I ran Graupner 250mm double blade spilers in the wing on top side only. I can't say enough with this model how inportant it is to keep the tail as light as possible due to the long tail moment and short nose!!
but it does fly well with the C of G at 25% chord. At the end of the day it is a pretty model and certainly diffrent from all the others.

Good luck and look forward to the photos.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Feb 19, 2011, 02:53 PM
Hampshire, England
Joined Aug 2002
505 Posts
Thanks Big Nuts 81 for the info.

She certainly is a nice looking plane.

I spent an hour or so this afternoon looking at all the parts and the work required to finish her. Definitely not ARTF.

Decided that it was going to be a bit much for me at the moment, with my current workload, family etc. So have decided to Ebay her and find a more ARTF scalie instead.

Put her on ebay UK at 7:52 and had my first bid at 7:56. Hopefully, I'll get my money back.

Here's the ebay link if anyone is interested in bidding: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160548722068

Cheers,
Martin
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:27 PM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
914 Posts
It's great to see somebody give an honest intelligent description of their item. Should build into a great flier if the tail's kept light, and those 370mm airbrakes will bring her down sharpish!

Good luck with the sale.

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:45 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,580 Posts
370 mm brakes are way overkill.....
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:34 PM
Hampshire, England
Joined Aug 2002
505 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the info. ebay sale already up to 51.

I did have someone on ebay say that Pat Teakle only made quarter scale kits and therefore mine was not one of his...

Can anyone give a definitive answer to this?

Cheers,

Martin
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:50 PM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
914 Posts
Not true. It looks exactly like Pat's 1/5 Dart. Most of his planes were 1/4, although he also did a 1:3.5 ASW20.

One other Teakle trademark just for info - the fus is polyester glass not epoxy, so best to use polyester resin for bonding in ply bulkheads etc.

Hope this helps.

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:26 PM
Hampshire, England
Joined Aug 2002
505 Posts
Thanks Rog

I've just purchased another 3m scale glider - this time ARTF.

Will try and post some pics and details tomorrow.

Martin