HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by cyberhoops, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 01:19 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
Discussion
Robots

As a bit of a distraction that takes me back to my roots as an electrical engineer... I have been working on a robot. I find the whole concept of the Arduino controller and the possibilities for various robot types pretty interesting.

This is my first attempt at an autonomous robot platform. I designed the concept on a CAD system and the result came out pretty close to the design. One major change was to switch from having the caster wheel in front to pulling the caster wheel when going forward.

The hardware is an Arduino UNO SMD board, a standard Futaba servo, the SRF05 ultrasonic sensor, two micro metal gear motors with 30:1 gear reduction, and a 800mah LiPo battery for power. The base is just a 1/8" plywood sheet.

One of the nice things I think is the use of two 14 pin chip sockets as a mini breadboard for connecting up power, ground and signal lines. One of the sockets has been wired so that the 7 pins on each side are connected. These serve as power and ground bus lines. The other socket is wired into pairs and serve as a terminal strip to connect jumpers between the control wires and the Arduino.

To this point I don't have the motor driver yet, so the program just swings the servo and sensor through 180 degrees and pings for distance every degree. It takes just under 2 seconds to complete a sweep. This will let me work on the software for movement ... but just not actually move.

Eventually the goal is to do object avoidance and object tracking tests with this robot.

RobotTest.wmv (1 min 48 sec)
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Last edited by cyberhoops; Mar 08, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:38 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,024 Posts
Interesting!

I recently began working with Basic Stamps, including the BoE-BOT and the SumoBOT. I am also sampling the propeller, sx, and soon some javelin stamps. Have you tried any parallax processors yet?
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:13 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
Nope - I have not done anything with Parallax controller, just the Arduino.

I did get my motor controller, so there is a video attached now of the robot movement.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops