HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:13 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
I figured that much regarding fuel draw.
It is the reason I fitted a squeeze-bulb in the line, like in the originals.

I don't see too much possibilities to elevate the tank without compromising the construction though, so it has to make do. And it is not that low: Estimate 1.5"

This carb comes from a comparable 2.5 cc sport engine, and has always shown good fuel draw. It looks like it will richen up very much when it revs up, at least, when I lift the prop partly out of the water to unload the engine, it immediately seems to go rich.

Due to the additional load with the boat stationary in the water, I cannot even throttle down far enough to get in the range where the airbleed screw can be adjusted.
So it wil be a matter of trial and error.

But at least, judging from the way it ran for approx 2.5 minutes during the shooting of that vid, the engine seems to settle on an acceptable operating temperature. It gets hot to the touch, but seems not to overheat.
Currently I am running a fuel with approx 25% synthetic oil and little under 2% Nitro, because the castor-blended fuel I have refuses to ignite when the glow driver is disconnected. No Idea why, it just does not keep running.
I hope the liner and piston are broken in sufficiently to allow lubrication with synthetics. So for now, I intend to keep it as rich as possible.

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Last edited by Brutus1967; Feb 01, 2013 at 07:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:45 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
World first?

This is what I believe to be the world wide FIRST youtube video of an actual Fuji Seahorse 15, doing what it is actually designed for: Pushing a boat through the water.

Fuji outboard, fourth in-water run.AVI (0 min 0 sec)

It was the fourth run of the day, and it finally developed something that resembled some speed.

So far, it seems the prop is riding a bit too high (any higher speed than this and the prop catches air and somehow does not get rid of that air) and the boat is fairly heavy for the engine (weight on this video is still over 2.5 kilo) but without ballast the boat would go nose high and it would not get on the plane.
But looking at the slight slamming, possibly it is a bit too nose heavy.

The hull is also still very rough (bad coat of paint, edge of the transom still needs to be sharpened too)

Hope you like it for what it is: a vintage engine trying hard to earn its spot on the transom....

Brgds, Bert
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:09 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,820 Posts
Nice little pond you have Bert and decent weather for the season! Yes the hull is a tad too heavy for that kind of power and the transom/bottom junction not being sharp will suck the back down as the water want to follow up the transom instead of separating cleanly. The prop cavitation might be the result of not enough pitch/diameter since this engine doesn't rev very high. You can bring the nose down by angling the engine to raise the transom instead of adding weight in the front and having the prop a bit deeper to reduce cavitation. The engine runs well so it will do better in a lighter hull but don't expect a blazing speed since it was meant more for scale performance in its time,mostly free running(radios were very primitive back then!). The CofG for a mono type hull like this should be about 40% of the hull length which might be difficult to achieve with an outboard engine without adding nose weight since most of the equipment weight is in the back.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:52 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
Hi Corolian,

Thanks for the info and tips.
Just for info, and to give an impression where I stand:
You are right about the edge between Transom and bottom. I more or less just glued it in, but did not do anything aith respect to finishing that edge.
The prop I was using, was some kind of home made prop, and I have the impression, for this boat, pitch was a bit too high and plade surface a bit too small, which seems to increase cavitation.
I have now fitted the original prop back, which has same diameter, but approx 20% more blade surface, and approx 20-30% less pitch. I guess that prop will unload the motor a bit, allowing it to get into the powerband, and hopefully it will push the hull into planing a bit easier.
This hull is not a mono, it is more or less a hybrid between mono and cat/hydro. When it really gets fast there will be a small cushion of air in the tunnel. But I have no expectation that this motor will ever bring it to that speed.

The motor is allready angled down as much as possible. I estimate the transom to be approx 5-10 degrees out of vertical, but that angle was chosen more for "aestetics" than performance.

All in all, not bad for a 40 year old motor, and a pilot without any experience whatsoever with directly driven props and watercooling from overboard-water
(at least, in modelling: professionally I am a naval chief engineer )

As it is now, carb adjustment is still pretty inconsistent, and I am continuously "searching" for the throttle setting that gives most power, so I also have some work in the fuel supply to do.
I am not looking for dazzling speed, just a touch faster than it is, and I am allready happy: it has a nice charming look to it as it is now....

Brgds, Bert
Last edited by Brutus1967; Feb 02, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:03 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,820 Posts
I think your engine is much older than 40 years, Fuji goes back a long time and produced smaller outboards (.049 & .061) around 1957. The "Seahorse .15" came shortly after, probably going into the 60's, here is the smaller .049 and there is more info about Fuji at that site:
http://modelenginenews.org/index.html
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
83 Posts
I was wondering where I could pick up a 0.49 outboard ( only needs to be in running condition ) I need one of these outboards for small balsa project im planning. So if I could get a quick response that would be appreciated. Thanks
zorchester21 is offline Find More Posts by zorchester21
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:50 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,820 Posts
If you mean .049(K&B Allyn,Wenmac) they went out of production many years ago, but can be found from time to time on ebay. They are very collectable now so priced accordingly! And balsa isn't a good building material for IC powered boats, Dumas still has some small kits for .049 power and hardware for inboard use:
http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...roducts_id=255
Last edited by coriolan; Feb 02, 2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:25 PM
Joined Dec 2012
83 Posts
Thanks now just to find a engine
zorchester21 is offline Find More Posts by zorchester21
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:58 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorchester21 View Post
Thanks now just to find a engine
If you really want a small outboard
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuji-061-gas...30833209709%26
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RC-B...item460c628d7c
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:17 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
I think your engine is much older than 40 years, Fuji goes back a long time and produced smaller outboards (.049 & .061) around 1957. The "Seahorse .15" came shortly after, probably going into the 60's, here is the smaller .049 and there is more info about Fuji at that site:
http://modelenginenews.org/index.html
You might be correct, but at the moment, there's no way of knowing for me....

Unfortunately, that site only mentions two facts:
-Fuji started producing outboard motors in 1957 (the famous and nowadays very rare .061)
-Shortly after (but.... what is "shortly after? 1 year, 5 years?) they started producing the Seahorse 15, which is most likely the type I have. No info on when production was ceased, or numbers produced.

That is all the info I have found so far. I could not find anything about what year production started on the seahorse, or until what year they were produced.
There have been several versions of the seahorse (AFAIK with built in pull starter, later water cooled, even a larger .19 version) and a further development, the FW 17 RC with reduction gearing and specially designed fully watercooled engine. But again, no starting or stopping dates of production.
I do know that this type (the FW17 RC) was still availlable new, when I was a kid, most likely end seventies.
The strange thing, is that I am not sure if it was a later development or not, because virtually all boxes I have seen, even the ones that contained the early aircooled Seahorses, have a picture on the box cover showing the FW 17 RC type engine.

All I know about the particular engine I am currently running, is that its original and first owner, a certain mr King, bought it in Hawaï, and possibly he paid $44.91 for it, since that is what is written on the side of the box.

Maybe somebody has a good memory and can more or less close in on the selling date based on the price?

Brgds, Bert
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:48 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
With 300 grammes less ballast in the nose, the engine lowered approx 3/8", the original Fuji-prop (instead of the "home made" prop that was on the engine when I bought it) and a fuel that is a bit more adjusted to the engine's needs (15% Nitro, 15% Synth, 5% Castor) and than this is the result:

New fuel, original prop, lowered motor (0 min 0 sec)

It is not a speed monster, but it delivers pure recreational fun. For it's purpose, it does not need to be any faster....

Brgds, Bert
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:40 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,820 Posts
Amazing how steady it run and a very decent idle to booth! You're lucky to be able to run IC in that pond despite the houses nearby. Here the "noise police" would appear very quickly indeed
I agree with you about the speed, it run as it was intended to in its time and very well at that.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:05 PM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
471 Posts
Well done! I've run the .049 WenMacs and Sea Furys, but have never seen a running Fuji!
Chinewalker is offline Find More Posts by Chinewalker
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:59 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
Amazing how steady it run and a very decent idle to booth! You're lucky to be able to run IC in that pond despite the houses nearby. Here the "noise police" would appear very quickly indeed
I agree with you about the speed, it run as it was intended to in its time and very well at that.
YEp, I was pleasantly surprised too. I got a tip about Nitro, and synthetic/castor ratio, and from that moment the engine was adjustable and responding to the needle. Fitting back the original prop did the rest. That prop looks oh so old-fashioned, but it turns out to be a very good performing prop for those old-fashioned hulls.
About the noise: it is actually not that loud. not louder than most mopeds out here. It is also not that high-pitched, which makes it a bit more bearable.
The neighbours stated that in-home, they did not hear a thing.
It is cold at the moment, so nobody is sunbathing in their garden. Otherwise probably I would have heard some complaints....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinewalker View Post
Well done! I've run the .049 WenMacs and Sea Furys, but have never seen a running Fuji!
Me neither, until this one. As I stated before, I think this is the first Fuji on Youtube, and so far nobody has proven me wrong....

It is a really nice engine, and just.... well, you've gotta love her....
It;s not fast, but it is FUN!

Brgds, Bert
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:26 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,820 Posts
There is one of those Fuji outboard on ebay right now, the price is quite high but still many bidders!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUJI-OUTBOAR...30913665822%26
Somehow seems more recent and maybe larger than .15 displacement!