Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Cool
Interesting outboard engines

Just found that in the Craftmanship's museum site:
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/index.html
They are part of the Paul Knaoo engine collection:
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/KnappCol.htm
One is a Fuji from the 50's,a WenMac same vintage and two special build,The Clarke 1 Cylinder is a 33% model of a trolling outboard of the 1930 the actual engine is in the skeg and drive the prop directly(the was also a twin!). The other is a Cox .010 outboard
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2011, 08:51 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,928 Posts
Funny that you posted this last night. I viewed it then went to a local RC swap meet otday and guess what was there? OK, you probably figured it out by the shot below.
Prices weren't too bad, from $165.00 to $185.00. I have the info of the owner if you're interested.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:30 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Until yesterday I have never heard of the Wenmac outboard, I had a K&B/Allyn .049 as a kid and dabled with 1/2A boating a few years ago but it was more cute than impressive when you're used to .21 to .80 . Thank for the offer but I am more of a user than collector, I also had a WenMac (aiplane) engine as a kid and wasn't impressed. There is another .060(1cc) outboard from SuperTigre that I forgot to include:
http://www.rojobcn.com/technic/barco/supertig29.htm
Went to Italy for holidays often in those years but never seen one
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:58 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,928 Posts
I was getting interested in more of what they ran these little outboards on, either free running or control-line boats. They probably weren't too fast as compared to what we're running today as the props are small and don't have much pitch.
The outboard that you showed in the fourth picture is fascinating though.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:56 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
I ran my Allyn in a 20" runabout semi scale (just free running) wasn't very fast by any standard. For very small outboard the friction in the drive become a major factor. The Clarke 1 cylinder was quite something even by today standards but very impressive for the period (1930's). #2 in that link is a model version:
http://www.toyoutboardmotors.com/Ted.htm
And that's about the full size:
http://www.flc-acbs.org/passion-for-outboards.htm
The man who build these is also active in tether car racing (Ted Maciag):
http://www.amrca.com/about0.htm
and a very talented machinist
Last edited by coriolan; Feb 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:28 AM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
i wonder if that tee dee outboard will run also how big the prop is its using
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:16 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Its a one of a kind "home made" and seems functional:
130—Fadden .010 Outboard Boat Motor, designed and built by Dennis Fadden, Canada, 2005. L=3", W=1", H=3.5"

This is one of two miniature boat motors Dennis Fadden machined from bar stock that incorporated a Cox .010 engine. Because of the complex contours and radii of the lower end, most were hand formed. First, material is removed by rough machining on conventional equipment with straight linear cuts. Then, the contours are created by hand with files. It’s precise, requiring a good eye, patience and a tremendous amount of time.
The Cox TD .010 doesn't has much power so its more of a curiosity than usable. Props that small are really not efficient. I have seen video runs of TD .010 powered tether cars and they perform well but there is less frictions losses than in a boat. The K&B Allyn I ran as a kid was just moving, more recent experiments I did with TD .049 and Dumas 1" prop were better but still nothing to get too excited about. I still have my "Marine TD .049" with flywheel and cable coupler and might try it again in a small scale hydroplane.
There is a thread at RCU about 1/2A boats with some nice pictures.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9144007/tm.htm
Last edited by coriolan; Feb 20, 2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:49 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Found that You Tube video of a WenMac running, sound better than what I remember of my Allyn Sea Fury!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vS30hQZgNiQ
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:55 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
And the Sea Fury:
Allyn Sea Fury .049 Outboard (2 min 25 sec)
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:30 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
Old thread, I know, but I was just wondering if there are still people that like to putter around with vintage IC powered boats?

I mean, not trying to break speed records or something, but just generally having fun with that old engine, other than looking at it sitting in a display stand?

I (very) recently bought these and intend to let them do what they were made for: pushing some floating object along the water surface.

Would be nice to know if there are more people that did not succumb to the temptations of silent electric drive, but persist in tinkering around with IC engines?

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:46 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Nice find, any details(displacement,brand) on them?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:56 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
Well, I do not have much info on them at the moment.

As far as I know, the black one is the Fuji Seahorse 15 Mk I that is normally aircooled, but this one has been modified to watercooling. Slightly clumsy to nowadays standards, but fairly clever done, when taken into account it was done 40 years ago. Will redo this as it is
A) an allready modified engine anyway,
B) the original aircooling "system" does not look like it is very effective, and
C) this one has seen quite some use (which is not necessarily a bad thing )
I am not yet home (work on a ship at sea) but my buddy, who received it for me, told me that despite a bit dirty from gummed oil, it is in good condition including the angular drive, and spare shafts and prop (which appeared to be in OK condition too) were included.
Unfortunately the throttle has been removed, so it is an "all or nothing" motor.

The brown/white one is also a Fuji Seahorse 15 but I do not know its designation.
It does have watercooling however, and it seems (not sure, but it looks like it) that it has some kind of reduction drive. I conclude that from the engine being reversed in the cowling, and the prop having a much larger pitch (looks like a prop designed for lower revs).
According seller it looked like very little or no runtime. This engine still has not yet arrived, so I haven't seen it....

Unfortunately, both engines are completely without any manual or other "paperwork"
Last edited by Brutus1967; Jan 08, 2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:31 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
The Fuji 15 can fetch a good price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271025219790...#ht_500wt_1202
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:15 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
I know that that particular engine was returned because of, really I am not making this up, a hole in the instruction manual leaflet, was consequently relisted and went a second time for approx 350 U$. I downloaded the pics of that particular posting as guide for restoration of mine....

I got my black one for a lot less than 350 (therefore it is in lot less optimal cosmetic condition), and the white/brown for slightly more than that, but that is the watercooled engine, thus more expensive.

I am absolutely not unhappy with them....
Allready found a set of drawings for a very cute Hydro, specifically designed for the Fuji's, so I'll be building in two weeks

Brgds, Bert
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:52 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Bert

That's a very good start for 2013! Hope you'll make a thread about that build as there is very few of this type hydro with r/c.