SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:15 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,253 Posts
Question
OrangeRX Satellite Receiver: does it increase range?

Does the OrangeRx Satelite Receiver increase range, or only assist in signal reception?

What criteria can be used to determine its usefulness in a particular plane for use with a DX6i?

OrangeRx Satellite Receiver
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=13418

OrangeRx Spektrum DSM2 Compatible 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=11965
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:22 PM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Roseville, CA
Joined Sep 2006
42 Posts
Mark,

That satellite will increase your range and provide a better signal.

I have been using this RX and have zero problems with loss of signal and distance is really good.

If you are using a parkflyer type plane, you should be ok with just the RX without the satellite. I have flown my planes to about 800 feet with these and not a single issue. (only problem I had was I couldnt see the plane anymore, lol) But if you are using it in conjunction with some FPV or sailplane flying, or a real expensive aircraft, I would use the satellite. Better safe than sorry.

Always do a range check first before first flight. (Turn on your TX, then power your RX and ESC, push in the binding button on the back and walk away and move the control surfaces. See how far you can walk away from your craft before you either lose signal and cant move the control surfaces, or they begin to move by themselves without your input.)
Shredman is offline Find More Posts by Shredman
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:57 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
Using a satellite receiver doesn't increase your range, what it does is improve reception diversity. The reason for it is if your main receiver gets shadowed by components in the plane, like the battery, motor, carbon fiber spars, or something like that, the satellite, if installed properly, will still allow the receiver to have a signal from the TX.
You need to make sure the antenna for the satellite is oriented perpendicular to the main RX antenna for the best results.
speedy72vega is offline Find More Posts by speedy72vega
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:24 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy72vega View Post
Using a satellite receiver doesn't increase your range, what it does is improve reception diversity. The reason for it is if your main receiver gets shadowed by components in the plane, like the battery, motor, carbon fiber spars, or something like that, the satellite, if installed properly, will still allow the receiver to have a signal from the TX.
You need to make sure the antenna for the satellite is oriented perpendicular to the main RX antenna for the best results.
I guess we are into semantics here but if you are at the edge of the usable range due to shadowing (signal path attenuation) and the other receiver keeps you flying you do have an increase in range over a single receiver setup.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:56 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,091 Posts
IF the range of the RX is 2000ft EXAMPLE then the range of the sat rx is also 2000ft. Using both will not add more range to the system.

If you are using just the RX, then because of its installed position and showing and other factors you could be short of 2000ft but then using sat RX you would have better range sort of speak and get closer to the 2000ft mark.

Different ways of saying it but sure if will add some range if the existing RX was affected by showing. If it was not then adding a SAT RX wil lnot improve on range...
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:32 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
shadowing from planes orientation

The mult. sats are to keep the signal strong with varying positions of the plane Thats why its recomended to point each sat perp. to ea. other. it wont increase effective range as in ea. unit adds 500 feet. but it will give the tx greater "seeing" ability within the range. As the plane banks, turns, spins, signal can get disrupted or "shadowed" if line of sight is compromised. By adding another sat. extention to the mix you increase exposure to the transmitted signal.

Im sure thats what you said but wanted to clarify that its not the internal components blocking each other out, rather its those components or the planes structure itself, or objects in the flight path that that block signal from getting to the planes rx.

Ea, sat. adds 2-3 times the exposure of a single unit. On my bigger planes, i use the ar9000's or JR921 as it adds 3-4 sats to the mix : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy72vega View Post
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Last edited by hidaven; Feb 23, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:48 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
I thought that's what I said......
speedy72vega is offline Find More Posts by speedy72vega
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:11 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,085 Posts
Swarm Salw On Satellite Receiver