SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

RC Accessory PowerEdge LiPo 2600mAh 2S Transmitter Battery Review

This review highlights the RC Accessory PowerEdge 2s transmitter battery made for the newer radios such as the Hitec Aurora 9, Futaba 8FG/12FG or Airtronics SD10-G. This battery is compact and light but it stores a massive 2600mAh allowing longer maximum flying time along with many other LiPo advantages.

Splash

Introduction

PowerEdge Lithium battery:7.4V 2600mAh Transmitter battery
Battery Type:2 cell Lithium Polymer LiPo
Nominal Voltage:3.7V/cell
Fully Charged Voltage:4.2v/cell 8.4V total
Weight (with battery):102g 3.6oz
Size:27 mm x 16mm x 105mm
Available From:RC Accessory
RC Accessory:PowerEdge 2s 2600mAh Transmitter Pack
Price:$27.95

RC Accessory has released a new Transmitter LiPo battery for systems that can take advantage of Lithium Polymer technology. The PowerEdge 2600 transmitter pack is a "plug n play" drop in replacement for your Futaba 8FG, 12FG, Hitec Aurora or Airtronics SD10G systems. This 2s pack has a nominal voltage rating of 7.4 volts making it perfect for today's transmitters that come with 6 cell NiMh or NiCad packs.

The PowerEdge 2600 mAh battery is available for the following systems:

• Hitec Aurora 9
  • Futaba 8FG
  • Futaba 12FG
  • Airtronics SD10-G

This remarkably small and compact 2s pack will also provide higher capacity over the 6 cell packs those systems are sold with. More capacity and the advantages of no self discharge, 1C charge and lighter weight of the PowerEdge pack make it a must have upgrade.

RC Accessory PowerEdge 2600 Transmitter Pack

When I received this pack from RC Accessory I could not believe that they could cram so much power in this tiny battery!

BATTERY FEATURES

• Lightweight
  • High energy density
  • Small size
  • 7.4v nominal voltage -- perfect for many new, advanced 2.4GHz transmitters
  • Two output leads (Hitec, Futaba or Airtronics (Customer Select)
  • Balance lead for balance charging
  • Environmentally friendly

Package Contents

• PowerEdge 2600mAh 2s LiPo Battery
  • Instruction sheet

Capacity Testing

I began the review testing of the PowerEdge battery with a capacity check. You must use the LiPo 2S setting on your charger for proper charging of this pack. You must not use the AC wall charger included with your radio system. They are intended to charge NiMh/NiCad 6 cell packs.

PowerEdge recommends 1C as the maximum charge rate. This is not a high discharge pack as it will be used only for the very low draw of typical transmitters. Most of these systems draw around 200-300mA so this battery is hardly taxed at all.

Note this pack cannot be used with transmitter systems that use 8 NiMh/NiCad cells. The fully charged voltage of this pack is below the cutoff of those systems.

The PowerEdge came with a LiPo 50% storage charge, as it should. About 30 minutes on the balance charger had it fully charged at 8.4 volts. After full charge, I discharged the pack to ~6.0 volts using the discharge feature on my charger. The instructions warn to not allow discharge to fall below 6 volts as this can permanently damage the pack. At discharge termination the charger had drawn out ~2494mA according to my watt meter.

After the discharge I allowed the pack to sit and cool even though it was barely above ambient temperature. Then I started a 1C balance charge. The pack took 2583mA to reach charge completion. Please note that charging and discharging are never 100% efficient and some losses are involved.

We can see that the advertised capacity is accurate especially considering this was the first cycle of the pack. I appreciate it when you get the listed capacity and the PowerEdge pack was not underrated.

During the charge process, I monitored the cell balance and found this pack cells were within ~.1V of each other. It's nice to see that PowerEdge used the JST-XH balance plugs on this pack, as they are common in many LiPo packs, chargers and balancers.

PowerEdge Connectors

The PowerEdge pack comes with two separate discharge wires. One wire set comes factory terminated with the connector for the Hitec Aurora 9 and the other wire has the standard servo type connector for the Futaba 8FG/12FG or the Airtronics SD-10G. This was welcome feature as the unused connector lead can be used for charging without having to disconnect the pack from the transmitter. You can place a the connector of choice on the unused lead. This will make charging a snap.

Since I was using the Hitec connector and the other connector used a standard "servo" type connector I was able to use a standard receiver charge cord. To charge I just open the back of the radio and attach my charge lead to that servo type connector and I can charge without disconnecting the pack from the transmitter. This works great!

You can also see that the PowerEdge pack also contains a JST-XH type 2s balance connector. This will help to keep both of the cells in proper balance while charging. PowerEdge recommends balance charging every time.

Installation

I will be testing this pack in the Hitec Aurora 9 system. After my review Hitec Aurora 9 I have received a number of requests for the largest capacity battery that can be used. Well this is the largest capacity pack I have found that fits well.

Since the PowerEdge pack will last around 15-20 hours of "on" time. I found it more than enough for a full day of flying, in fact it lasts many days of typical flying. I go a long time between charges.

The PowerEdge pack did require a very slight modification of the foam pad in the battery area of the Hitec Aurora 9 system. This was easily done with sharp hobby knife and the leftover piece was used to secure the pack against the plug for added security.

The Hitec Aurora 9 NiMh pack included a safety clip to assure the battery could not unplug itself. The PowerEdge pack did not have this feature but the foam block keeps the pack very secure with little risk of coming unplugged.

System Software Change

The Hitec Aurora 9 supports LiPo battery with its ultra smart software.

It is nice that these new systems support LiPo batteries as they recognize many of us will prefer the lithium polymer batteries and their many advantages. These include:

• Low self discharge
  • Fast 1C charge rates
  • Higher capacity
  • Lightweight

When you change the battery type in the menu of the Hitec Aurora 9 the home page will also change showing the new LiPo voltage levels.

Field Testing

I have had the Aurora in the field for many outings with the RC Accessory PowerEdge 2600 pack. It has performed flawlessly and provides many hours of continuous use between charges. I have not experienced any issues or problems in field use. In fact it works perfectly!

Conclusion

The RC Accessory PowerEdge 2s LiPo 2600mAh battery has been a welcome addition to the Hitec Aurora 9. I enjoy not having to do top off charges of the NiMh pack the system came with. So with essentially no self-discharge to speak of it was always ready to go fly.

The battery also comes with a two discharge connectors, one for Hitec and the other for Futaba or Airtronics. This gives you the chance to add the connector of choice to the unused wires and you can have that become your primary charge lead.

I was also very happy to see the industry common 2s JST-XH type balance connector factory installed and ready for use. This gave an assurance that the pack will balance during charging.

I was very impressed with the new PowerEdge 2s transmitter pack. The battery has performed flawlessly for me in the Aurora 9 system. It provided the power needed and gave confidence that I could fly all day long on a single charge. It has fantastic longevity and was always ready for use.

The PowerEdge pack offers an out of the box plug and play replacement, no soldering needed. The dual lead pack fits Hitec Auora 9, Futaba 8FG or 12FG and the Airtronics SD10-G systems. All of these advanced transmitters allow the use of a 2s LiPo since they come with 6 cell NiMh/NiCad packs. I enjoy the capacity and trouble free operation of the PowerEdge 2600 mAh pack. Get one today!

Pluses:

• High energy density
  • Small and lightweight
  • Multi-connector output options makes charging easy
  • Low self discharge means the pack is always ready for use!

Minuses:

• Not one thing to fuss at
Last edited by Angela H; Mar 07, 2011 at 03:46 PM..

Discussion

Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:29 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Thank you, another clear concise review.
Further to the notes on changing factory supplied NiMH to Lipo in an Aurora, users are reminded:
Aurora 9 - Lipo User Adjustable Voltage sets Shut Down = TURNS TX OFF to save damage to Lipo Battery and/or TX
(Audible Battery Warning is still at 6.9V with Lipo which provides say 10-20 min before shutdown.)

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

(quick search = Ctrl+F)
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 05:51 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
One point that was completely missed in the review.

We all know that Lipo's should not be stored for a long period of time without taking them to storage charge.

I see no mention of the cautions regarding this, in the review.

What is the general consensus on lipo's in a tx, with regards to storage longer than a week or so between uses.

That lipo will start to degrade if its left with a full charge for weeks/months on end.

I guess I would classify this as a "minuses" that should be fussed with, no?
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:54 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
One point that was completely missed in the review.

We all know that Lipo's should not be stored for a long period of time without taking them to storage charge.

I see no mention of the cautions regarding this, in the review.

What is the general consensus on lipo's in a tx, with regards to storage longer than a week or so between uses.

That lipo will start to degrade if its left with a full charge for weeks/months on end.

I guess I would classify this as a "minuses" that should be fussed with, no?
I have used LiPo batteries in Transmitters a couple of years now and I have never used a storage charge. The batteries are as strong as ever. This is likely due to the nature of light discharge the TX demands. This is obviously much lower than any of our power systems.

I do fly year round however (Texas is great!). I suspect if you are not using the TX for a couple of months you should perform a discharge that leaves cells at storage levels.

The instruction sheet (picture included) shows they do recommend storage at 3.7-3.9v when not used for a period of time.

But again - I fly a great deal and don't really ever feel leaving a battery charged for 2-3 week hurts much. And to be honest a great deal of the usage is spent at 3.7-3.9v cell.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pda4you; Mar 07, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:26 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
A well written and detailed review, thanks.

RcAccessory might want to check if this fits in the FlySky/Imax/Eurgle/CopterX/Turnigy-9X as there are folks looking for a 2S lipo solution for that Tx as well.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:53 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,482 Posts
Hello all,

First I would like to thank Mike for the review of our product.

Not all lithium batteries are created equal nor are they created for the same purpose. We as electric modelers think of lithium batteries as power packs or fuel for electric flight. That is not the case for these lipos that are used in the design of the TX lipo's.

They can hold voltage for a long period with minimal degration of the components unlike a high discharge power pack. If you know that the transmitter won't be used for a period of time, then it is recommended that you discharge (storage program) the pack to 3.7 to 3.9V per cell.

Kenneth (KGFLY), without having access to one of the tx's you mentioned or seeing our product installed in one, I would not be able to confirm that it would fit. The Hitec A9, Futaba 8FG/12FG, and SD-10G, I had access to all these TX's to ensure proper fit and installation.
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:08 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
The 9X has a standard 8-cell NiXx holder which is easily 100x30x30mm so my guess is that based on your pack's measurements of 105x27x16 it should fit. A little research on the 9X threads here on RCG like perhaps this one should confirm it. You can probably find someone local that has one, or you could grab one, they are only $60 after all They sell by the hundreds every couple of weeks so represent a nice potential expansion market
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:12 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
The 9X has a standard 8-cell NiXx holder which is easily 100x30x30mm so my guess is that based on your pack's measurements of 105x27x16 it should fit. A little research on the 9X threads here on RCG like perhaps this one should confirm it. You can probably find someone local that has one, or you could grab one, they are only $60 after all They sell by the hundreds every couple of weeks so represent a nice potential expansion market
That would be our PowerEdge 3S 2600 TX pack if that TX takes a 8 cell nicad pack, not our 2S TX pack. I would also have to see what connector those various tx use for the tx pack.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:26 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Generally true for off-the-shelf but lots of folk are customising these Tx to run from 2S lipo or 2S LiFe So it seems you likely have a solution for both kinds of users
Old Mar 08, 2011, 03:54 PM
dumbthumb
World's Ass - Chile
Joined Dec 2004
357 Posts
Hi, nice review thanks

This is a cheaper batt, just 33 vs 27 tall
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8933

You have to chop a little the foam for fit
aleXtino is online now Find More Posts by aleXtino
Old Mar 09, 2011, 12:12 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleXtino View Post
Hi, nice review thanks

This is a cheaper batt, just 33 vs 27 tall
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8933

You have to chop a little the foam for fit
That is $28 vs $9. $28 is too expensive comapred to $9, three times higher.

Too bad 33mm tall does not fit into space. You must chop the battery, not the foam, for fit.

Here is a better deal. Cost is $8.00 Two cell pack fits into battery compartment.

http://rcmodelreviews.com/tendollarbattery.shtml

I found another which fits nicely in TX compartment and cheaper.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15088
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Last edited by John Kim; Mar 09, 2011 at 02:19 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:53 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,482 Posts
Hello again,

Using a lipo in a TX that is designed for electric power is not recommended as the cell ir's will increase and cause the cells to puff if left fully charged. The PowerEdge TX lipo's are designed to be used in a TX and left charged without degration of the battery pack.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:58 AM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
I have been using a lipo in my futaba for about 2 years,its low c output and i only store charge in the winter,works perfect and lasts a very long time,wouldnt bother me if the cells got dammaged because of high voltage in the packs all the time,you could buy one every year as lipos are cheap cheap cheap these days.
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:37 AM
Over the Hill, 3rd Oak Tree on left
Joined Nov 2005
218 Posts
Futaba

Hi,

I have a Futaba 6EXA that currently uses an 8cell flat pack from Sanyo (NI MH), would like to use this 2cell pack. The size would fit.. my question is, would 7.4v be enough to power the unit ? I'm not sure how that effects a TX..

Thanks,

CS
Captain Speedy is offline Find More Posts by Captain Speedy
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:42 AM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Speedy View Post
Hi,

I have a Futaba 6EXA that currently uses an 8cell flat pack from Sanyo (NI MH), would like to use this 2cell pack. The size would fit.. my question is, would 7.4v be enough to power the unit ? I'm not sure how that effects a TX..

Thanks,

CS
No,you need a 3cell pack dude,,i have the futaba 6exp ,works great on 3s lipo.Oh ye and i did a flydream 2.4ghz conversion on it too and thats awsome.
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2