Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:57 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Discussion
Sony Vegas Pro 10 crashed

Hi,
My Sony Vegas editing software stopped working 2 days ago and I can't get it to launch anymore. When I hit the icon on my desk top it does not do anything. Sony has been overloaded with tech support issues because of it and it is hard to get an answer from them. Has anyone else had an issue with this?
Thanks
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:28 PM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
I bought vegas 6/7/8/9/ and tried out 10. Two things in common: CRASHES ! NO SUPPORT.
Sony is unable to make an editing software that works.

I moved to Premiere CS5 for that reason, not a crash in a year. Same videos same computers..
zaguruinzasky is offline Find More Posts by zaguruinzasky
Old Feb 17, 2011, 07:34 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaguruinzasky View Post
I bought vegas 6/7/8/9/ and tried out 10. Two things in common: CRASHES ! NO SUPPORT.

I moved to Premiere CS5 for that reason, not a crash in a year. Same videos same computers..
Now you tell me!!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
I've used Vegas in one form or another weekly on multiple computers since the year 2001. It is one of the most powerful, functional and reliable editors made.
Have you looked at the user forum on the Sony site for specific information that may be related to your problem?

You can also try the following user forum:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:32 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy63 View Post
I've used Vegas in one form or another weekly on multiple computers since the year 2001. It is one of the most powerful, functional and reliable editors made.
Have you looked at the user forum on the Sony site for specific information that may be related to your problem?

You can also try the following user forum:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/
I have 2 pages of back and forth with the support guys at Sony. I have uninstalled and re installed the software over a dozen times. It has shut me down going on 3 days now. I don't know what happened but all of a sudden I can't even launch the software. I click on the Icon and I get that little MS circle thingy for a second or 2 and then nothing.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:15 PM
Nashua NH
Joined Jul 2005
78 Posts
I saw a video on youtube about that exact problem. I'd do a quick search there.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDlTqgwrXMY

help at all?
xe2bls is offline Find More Posts by xe2bls
Old Feb 18, 2011, 03:03 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
I downloaded a version to try, to see if it give me a lot more functionality than my Corel Video Studio Pro X3, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. It's also the 64 bit version, although I don't know if that will make a difference.

I think next desktop I buy will be a Mac - just to try their video suite.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Feb 18, 2011, 03:49 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xe2bls View Post
I saw a video on youtube about that exact problem. I'd do a quick search there.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDlTqgwrXMY

help at all?
Thanks for the link, I had seen that one and tried it the first day I had the problem and it did not work. I just got off the phone with a Sony tech support guy. He tried to get it to work with me for about 45 minutes and we could not get it to work. At least I am getting some help from them.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:58 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
<deleted>
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Last edited by Ginger Adam; Feb 19, 2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:01 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,274 Posts
I tried this, good job it was on try before you buy.

Could not edit a thing, it just kept crashing.

Any software released in that state is just not worth the effort to get it working.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:10 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
I tried this, good job it was on try before you buy.

Could not edit a thing, it just kept crashing.

Any software released in that state is just not worth the effort to get it working.
I love the software and have not had a problem with it before this happened. I believe it maybe a problem with my Anti Virus software. I use Clamwin and it may have quarantined a file I need to open it.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:25 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,274 Posts
When I say it crashed, I meant it just shut down, dissapeared, no error messages at all.

Not good.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Feb 19, 2011, 04:27 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
When I say it crashed, I meant it just shut down, dissapeared, no error messages at all.

Not good.
That is the kind of thing that makes me want to throw my computer out a window.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:01 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaguruinzasky View Post

Funny you mentioned CS5. I'm a video editor for a living and all I hear from Adobe editors is that it crashes a few times a day. Maybe you have a better setup on your computer that plays better with Adobe. Not every computer plays great with every software application.

I'm an Edius editor and haven't found a computer yet that is reasonably equipped that is unstable with the application.
frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:07 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
That is the kind of thing that makes me want to throw my computer out a window.
Before you totally give up on that computer check this site. It is a site run by a guy named Edward Troxel who probably knows more about Vegas than Sony does. He is the defacto Vegas expert. Any hard core Vegas editor knows who he is and has probably communicated with him at some point.

www.jetdv.com

Let me ask a few of my Vegas editing friends and see if they have heard the problem or heard of a fix for it. I've heard Vegas will occasionally crash but not serious like you are having.

If it is your virus software you should turn off the software when editing anyway because they are all resource hogs and do funny things with files that kill your availble CPU cycles.

Another idea....have you tried restoring your computer to a previous restore point? If it has been doing this for a few days can you restore to a few days before that....like Monday the 14th. That may be the simplest answer to get you up and running again.
frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206