SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:33 PM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Discussion
Premier RC Vector Kites

Well, I think congratulations are in order to everyone that supported the formation of the new "RC Kites" forum here on RCG.

I'm very interested in this type of RC flying, it looks fun and something a bit out of the ordinary. I'm getting a bit older and pretty much just sport fly planes from my trainer, Extreme Flight 3D planes and several foamies which I fly indoors and at our flying field. These vector powered kites look like they'd be right up my alley.

I've been looking at the kites produced by Premier RC and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with their products? I've never flown anything "vector" powered and I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about the way they fly, easy/hard? I've watched a lot of the videos and besides the fact that you have to have power on to control direction they look pretty controllable to me. Just wondering what others have to say about how they fly.

I'm blown away by the new Eagle they've developed but that sucker is huge and I was wondering about starting with something a bit less intimidating. I see by their website that they have 2 different vector units and it appears that the Generation II vector unit only fits the Delta Box Kite and the Eagle. I'm thinking about maybe getting the Delta Box Kite as an ARF to get started on then picking up the Eagle later as the kite only.

Appreciate you input

Mike
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:03 AM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
312 Posts
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Club of RC- and Vector Kiters

The 75' Deltabox is a recommendable choice to start vector kiting.
You can start it from Your hand, or, after some first flight-experiences, as well as a VTOL. Once in the aire, it flies also without any pilot action - very stable.

Piloting a vector kite is a bit different from other known RC aircraft:

The first difference is: Without motor action You can't steer.

The more throttle You give to the motor, and the more You steer the gimbel at the same time, the stronger are the changes of flight direction (up/down, right/left and in between).

The 75' Deltabox could be flown very slowly, as well as fast. With a little wind, You can 'park' it on the same point in the air for minutes. If You are a bit experienced after a few flights, You can fly wild stunts like loops, top-spins, rolls...
The Gen. II vector unit is usuable for the Deltabox, the Eagle - and for every kite You want to convert by Your own. I use it in some other Vector Kites beside my Deltaboxes and Deltas, as well in some experimental aircraft, made of foam.

I'm sure: You will enjoy it!

flattermann
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:46 AM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Thank you Flattermann,

I've seen some of your videos and read some of your posts on RC kiting so I very much appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks again

Mike
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
Old Feb 18, 2011, 02:21 PM
The Gorge - Oregon USofA
Joined Sep 2006
153 Posts
I too have a Delta Box and am very happy with it.

Both the kite and the power/Vector units are very well made. Easy and forgiving to fly.

I am currently getting about 8-9 minutes of flight time on the stock battery and flying about half throttle. Does that sound about right?

And yes, congratulations for getting our own forum.
Twisted Sheets is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Sheets
Old Feb 18, 2011, 02:45 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
312 Posts
8-9 minutes is O.K. with the 1100mA 3S LiPo.
Did You try to fly indoor? Great fun!

If the wind is a bit stronger (around 1-2 bft), I take a 2200mA 3S LiPo, flying around 15 minutes.

flattermann
Old Feb 21, 2011, 07:33 PM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,021 Posts
Hi I have the vector kite from Premier that looks like a large prehistoric bird. I got the one with the orange and yellow wing vs. the black and white pattern. I love it. I use a 3S Thunder Power 2600 mah pack. I get darn near 15 mins per pack. I really like how easy and relaxing it flies. Easy to launch and a snap to land. I added LEDS for night flying too but it got too cold to fly in PA once I got it done. Can't wait for warmer weather to try it.

Welcome and Good Luck!

_______
Regards,
GMRO
GMRO is offline Find More Posts by GMRO
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:00 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,377 Posts
Bought a red Premier V-box at the LHS today for $200. Not a bad deal Winds should be lite tomorrow..
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:08 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave View Post
Bought a red Premier V-box at the LHS today for $200. Not a bad deal Winds should be lite tomorrow..
Is that just the kite or with the motor and servos?
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:07 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,377 Posts
kite, motor, servos Tx, Rx, battery!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:31 AM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave View Post
kite, motor, servos Tx, Rx, battery!

I'm looking for a second kite as my wife now wishes to own one of these. Do you have a name of your local LHS? I'd like to place a order.....

ApachePilot
ApachePilot is offline Find More Posts by ApachePilot
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:10 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,377 Posts
Well as the owner was saying he paid $250 and I was paying $200...I don't think he'll make that kind of deal again! I buy a lot there and can haggle a good deal occasionally. I did pick up another kite (now that I have a Vector unit) from Harbor Kites for $116. You have a Gen II I believe so don't know if that''l work w/the other kites..

cheers,
Mike
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:47 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,377 Posts
My Pyramid Racer arrived and already got it up!!

This one's fun! Only hitch was the ball on the kites nose - it doesn't appear on Premier's product photo but looked like it belongs so left it. Certainely didn't affect flight performance. Expect to overcontrol the pitch right after launch until you get used to the sensitivity then - go wild! Flew it in front of my house. No problem w/control in such a tight area.

..and it packs nearly flat really quick. Just undo the spreader and the kite folds up so doesn't take over the back of your car.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:39 PM
Jimfrisky
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Jan 2001
430 Posts
Prehistoric kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRO View Post
Hi I have the vector kite from Premier that looks like a large prehistoric bird. I got the one with the orange and yellow wing vs. the black and white pattern. I love it. I use a 3S Thunder Power 2600 mah pack. I get darn near 15 mins per pack. I really like how easy and relaxing it flies. Easy to launch and a snap to land. I added LEDS for night flying too but it got too cold to fly in PA once I got it done. Can't wait for warmer weather to try it.

Welcome and Good Luck!

_______
Regards,
GMRO
Prehistoric kite sounds very cool indeed photos please thanks jim
JIMFRISKY is online now Find More Posts by JIMFRISKY
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:02 PM
Beaver Dam.Wi.
Joined Jan 2003
308 Posts
Hi flattermann

In an earlier post you mentioned that you could do a VTOL with the
Premier rc kites vector powered delta box. I have the Premier RC
delta box also but am a bit nervous about trying a VTOL with it.
How did you do the VTOL? What control input did you give it?

Sincerely
Harrisdouma
harrisdouma is offline Find More Posts by harrisdouma
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:00 AM
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
312 Posts
Hi Harrisdouma,

Watch the video: You have to push full throttle speed a n d elevator a little bit DOWN (to avoid a backflip) during the startmoment. When Your Deltabox has gained enough speed and changed position from vertical to half horizontal, give a little UP to the elevator for a moment.
After this, a moment later, You can reduce UP to zero - the box flies straight on with a little raise.

I would recommend 'training' on a weak grasground

Good luck!

flattermann

RC - VECTOR KITE 11 * 200cm Delta Box VTO * Vector Control * (1 min 42 sec)
Last edited by flattermann; Apr 21, 2011 at 04:05 AM.