SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:20 AM
Martin
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined May 2005
299 Posts
Contest
Davenport ISR XXXVII is on!!!

NorCal Slope Soarers are pleased to announce that the annual Davenport ISR is scheduled for May 21-22 2011 at the Big Creek site just north of Davenport CA. Although our records are not complete, this is at least the 37 running of the event.
Please check our Davenport ISR site http://www.davenportisr.com for announcements on the event, sign up info, rules, sponsors and other ISR info.
Just to wet everyones interest in ISR flying, I've attached a video made by Kurt McCrum of a post event fly off between myself and some guy from NZ who happened by. In fairness to the NZ pilot he had to wear shoes, flew a borrowed a Hades and he had a bad cold from the flight over. He did get a great start but the FSIII turned better and had faster line speed. He tried to turn on my light on lap 4 and cut, hence the extra lap at the end for the Hades.
http://http://vimeo.com/12223790

See you there.
Mart NCSS Contest VP
mrfski is online now Find More Posts by mrfski
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:50 PM
S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2005
653 Posts
I love attending the Davenport races, (as a spectator). Last year I was not allowed to enter, because I wasn't entered in the competition. Then later on R/C Groups was told that spectators were allowed.

What exactly is the situation regarding spectators? I would like to know, before I drive to the site.

If a release is going to be required, could you post a pdf copy of the release on the web somewhere. Then people attending could print a copy of the release, sign it, and bring it to the site with them.

Ken
Ken Barnes is online now Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:03 PM
Martin
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined May 2005
299 Posts
Ken,
The site was closed to the general public in response to a request form the owner. I suspect we will see the same request this year.
The best way to see the race is to volunteer as a worker.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:08 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Way kool - In the spirit there should be two new seemingly very fast Homebuilts ready for comp!
Should put a hurtin on those pesky FSIII, Cyrils etc....
Got this thread on my list for sure!!
Please note: Ceres beat the FSIII in one heat without any ballast (side note the FSIII had Tungsten ballast)- go figure , and if I called for the NZ guy - he would have won the challenge as well. Something to be said about the old crowd - there is a secret that many don't know about unless you participated before 95 NZ guy/ DZ guy please show up - I need you guys!!!!! It might be the only way I'll win.
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:18 PM
Martin
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined May 2005
299 Posts
Not true!!
A Ceres did not beat a FSIII. I was leading by almost a half lap on the last ehat of the day and started daydreaming and cut. Almost caught said Ceres flying one extra lap with no tungsten in the FSIII, just good old brass and a fuse tube with some lead.
Tungsten was ordered and is in hand for this years race.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:08 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfski View Post
Not true!!
A Ceres did not beat a FSIII. I was leading by almost a half lap on the last ehat of the day and started daydreaming and cut. Almost caught said Ceres flying one extra lap with no tungsten in the FSIII, just good old brass and a fuse tube with some lead.
Tungsten was ordered and is in hand for this years race.
Martin,

You may be thinking of a different flight. Jack did win one round with some scary tight and accurate flying. This was towards the latter part of the day on Sunday, but not at the end if my memory is accurate. What I remember is that he got a good lead on the start, kept a good lead for the first few laps, then his lead started shrinking as you flew more aggressively to play catch up. One of you two were sure to cut at some point due to the aggressive far turns, it just ended up that you did it first. I think he set the fast time of the day with that flight, so he wasn't doing too badly!
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Feb 18, 2011, 03:52 AM
S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2005
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfski View Post
Ken,
The site was closed to the general public in response to a request form the owner. I suspect we will see the same request this year.
The best way to see the race is to volunteer as a worker.
Mart,

Would you please confirm the site is actually closed to spectators.

I would ask that you read the following page from the thread on last years races. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1216499&page=2 Especially post #24 from Mike Seto, the President of NCSS, and my reply to him in post #25.

Ken
Ken Barnes is online now Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:02 AM
Martin
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined May 2005
299 Posts
Ken,
I suspect we will see similar site accss restrictions to those used during last year's race. I know the site owner wants NCSS to control the site for this year's event.
Please continue check the DavenportISR.com site for race details and access information for this years race. We will be posting race details soon.
Please consider volunteering as a worker as that is the best way to see the race and particpate in the worker raffel for great prizes.
Mart
Old Feb 18, 2011, 08:48 PM
NCSS / SVSS Flyer
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined May 2005
141 Posts
Isr

Counting the days Mart. Great thing is we'll have a new fastest heat this year!!
SlopeRC is offline Find More Posts by SlopeRC
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:09 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,153 Posts
There's a secret pre-1995.....? Scott/Joe/Somebody!!! I need a PM

Here's a working link to some really awesome flying by two gentleman settling a little wager

Davenport ISR 2010 -- Joe Wurts v Martin Falarski (2 min 57 sec)

I might have the Ceres flight on video, Jack. My PM box is waiting for a secret

Looking forward to the races.

Kurt
KurtMc is offline Find More Posts by KurtMc
Old Feb 19, 2011, 01:01 AM
Los Angeles, Ca
Joined Aug 2004
615 Posts
Count me in. Multiple planes and oodles of ballast
BillDelHagen is offline Find More Posts by BillDelHagen
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:10 PM
Martin
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined May 2005
299 Posts
Bill,
That is good news. I look forward to racing against you this year.
What is going to be your weapon of choice?
Mart
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:40 PM
Los Angeles, Ca
Joined Aug 2004
615 Posts
Marty: Let's see: Aris with 3 pound joiner and lead, Ceres F3f with wing slugs plus fuse tube, and just maybe the Freestyler.
BillDelHagen is offline Find More Posts by BillDelHagen
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:30 PM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2010
1,570 Posts
Mart:

Count me in too. Last year I helped out both days. You guys looked like you were having way too much fun so this year I want to have some fun and race.
David Olson is online now Find More Posts by David Olson
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:49 PM
NCSS VP / Event Coordinator
Napa, CA
Joined Oct 2003
311 Posts
I hope this helps clear things up for spectators a little.

There is a great view point on top of the hill that puts you about mid course. There were quite a few spectators that watched from this point, no release needed to watch from here.

There is and was a release that could be filled out and signed so that you could spectate from the pits. There was a second fence to seperate the actual race area and the pits, workers, flyers and their callers were only allowed into the flying area.

There was a little bit of miscommunication about were people were allowed and not allowed, some were upset that couldn't get right down on the action, but all in all I think we all had a blast and I look forward to haveing another awesome ISR.
motowncali is offline Find More Posts by motowncali