http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1340992
dpowellmeii is online now Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:22 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,474 Posts
Does anyone sell a thrust vectoring gimble?
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:51 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
797 Posts
http://shop.premierrc.com/vectorpowerunits.aspx
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:21 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,295 Posts
dp, I've been admiring that gimbal and support structure you designed and built. Would you care to post a bit more information on it?

I started doing something very similar a while ago but haven't had the time to finish it yet. I'd much appreciate hearing about any experiences you'd like to share (minimize reinventing the wheel, and all that).

Thanks!
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:23 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Here are some closeups of my Premier unit.

Stringfly <>++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:34 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,474 Posts
I only want the gimble unit not the motor or servos . thanks
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:36 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
797 Posts
thats what i figured but this is the only thing i know of. call them they might sell it to you.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:43 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
dp, I've been admiring that gimbal and support structure you designed and built. Would you care to post a bit more information on it?

I started doing something very similar a while ago but haven't had the time to finish it yet. I'd much appreciate hearing about any experiences you'd like to share (minimize reinventing the wheel, and all that).

Thanks!
i just eyeballed it from pics of the premier vector unit. i set ou to build one as cheap as possible with parts from the LHS and hardware store. couldn't tell you many dimensions right now as i'm out flying a trip. i do know that the gimbal ring is a sliver of 4in pvc i cut with a hacksaw and sanded. servos are hs-82mg's and the frame joints are tacked in place with ca glue, coated with 30min 2-ton epoxy, wrapped each joint with a strip of 3/4oz fiberglass cloth and then wrapped each joint with kite string and another coat of epoxy. SUPER Strong joints thus far.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 07:04 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,680 Posts
How are the HS-82's holding up to the gyroscopic forces? I wanna build a RC kite as well, and I have a Box Delta in my kite collection just begging for a power system...

Tim
AG4RZ
IFLYOS is offline Find More Posts by IFLYOS
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:31 PM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
314 Posts
@rcrich:
As far as I know, there are 2 sources for gimbels without and with power unit frames::

A. Reiser of www.vektor-technik.de sells a high-end carbon-plate or glassfibre-plate gimbel set only. Could be used for Foamies as well as for rc-vector kites.

PremierRC www.premierrc.com also sells the power unit frame and gimbel of their GEN. I and GEN. II Vector units only.

@ IFYLOS: In general, metal gear (titanium/alloy, brass) servos with ball bearing are first choice.
For Vector units up to 1000grs. of thrust the 'Mini Servo' class of around 15grs. weight and 2kgs/cm power is sufficient.
If BL-motors of more thrust are used (1000-1500grs. of thrust), the 'Park Servo' -metal gear class with 3kgs/cm power is O.K.
Carbonite- or plastic gear is not enough shock resistent, if once the vector unit contacts the ground directly.

flattermann
flattermann is online now Find More Posts by flattermann
Last edited by flattermann; Feb 17, 2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:56 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
797 Posts
from now on i will post updates in the original thread since it has now been moved to the rc kites forum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1340992&page=2

new videos uploaded