Closed Thread
Old Sep 18, 2003, 05:54 PM
Hoppers Crossing Vic. Australia
Joined Nov 2002
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BillBowne
320 - Fisher P-75 Eagle (USAF Museum)

322- Junkers Mammut (sp?). I understand it made good firewood!
My info from site:

This unfortunate German glider of 1941 had a hilarious history. The Nazis ordered the Junkers company to produce 200 all-wood assault gliders, they were to be used in the invasion of Britain in the same role as the Messershmitt 321. {See my entry on the Me 323 for details.} Junkers had to start from scratch, the company had abandoned wood construction years before. They wound up with a 203 foot flying wing with a conventional tail that loaded cargo through the "nose". During loading tests a light tank crashed through the floor and it had to be strengthened, reducing payload by 20 percent. On it's first flight test a Ju 90 tow plane laboured to pull it into the air, barely making it before the end of the runway. The Mammut then jettisoned it's wheeled take-off trolley, which smashed itself into fragments. The poor pilot had other things to worry about as the unstable glider began to pitch up violently, putting the tow plane into a full-power dive. In desperation the Mammut pilot cut loose the tow and the glider straightened out and landed in a field nearby. Two weeks later it was towed back to the flying field by the tanks it was supposed to carry. The project was cancelled and the rest of the 98 gliders being built were cut up for firewood. The above picture may show it after it's first flight.
BennyLaird is offline Find More Posts by BennyLaird
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:23 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,548 Posts
Mystery326

Come on build one!
Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:25 PM
Ottawa
Joined Aug 2003
99 Posts
Re: Mystery324

Quote:
Originally posted by BennyLaird
Same manufacturer as mystery282 which remains unidentified. this one is one model number less?
eut1 Gregor FDB-1 First Canadian designed combat aircraft. Always wanted to do one.

eut2 still looking - this isn't a version of the Praga E.112 is it?

uet3 Praga E.114 Baby.

324 LWS-6/PZL-30 Zubr?

Another crop duster...
Nieuport29 is offline Find More Posts by Nieuport29
Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:35 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,548 Posts
Re: Mystery326

Quote:
Come on build one!
another view
Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:36 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Benny, on the XP-75, you posted just about everything there is to know aboiut it.
The F4U parts are the landing gear.
The Lcokheed XP-58 Chain Lightning also used the V-3420. Too much motor!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:37 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,548 Posts
282 and 324
Dutch!
Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:39 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,548 Posts
Sparky,

What amuses me is the vision of a pilot sitting with the contrarotating shaft either between his legs or somewhere very close? How did the Aircobra do the shaft as well?
Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:47 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,548 Posts
Well the crop duster is Brazilian registered but still trying to track down the manufacturer....
Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:57 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,548 Posts
Embraer IPANEMA sounds close but need to confirm it
Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:59 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Embraer IPANEMA sounds close but need to confirm it
Bingo?

Nice scheme?
Old Sep 18, 2003, 08:39 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,916 Posts
n 29
Right on eut 1 and eut 3 eut 2 is a U.S. aircraft.

Eut
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Sep 18, 2003, 09:49 PM
Ottawa
Joined Aug 2003
99 Posts
Quote:
282 and 324
Dutch!
Well that narrows it down a bunch.
324 Koolhoven F.K.50b but I was under the impression the FK50 was a PZL built under licence.
(Probably me just confused)
282 Koolhoven F.K.51 - only the propellor gives it away - it looks like it has a canvas cover but doesn't, its shape is so odd.
Koolhoven definitely had some interesting ideas.

Embraer Ipanema it is - funny I never noticed the strakes in the other shots before.

236 Arsenal Delanne 10. There is an interesting Westland-Delanne interceptor that used the same idea.

The P-39 and P-63 had the shaft go between the pilots legs, but there was another design that used two gear boxes to offset the shaft (either sideways or down). Can't recall what that one was though.

My "What the" was a 'Parnall Heck IIc'

F-ALGM
Old Sep 19, 2003, 01:16 AM
Excellence thru mistakes
Sanibel Island. FL
Joined Sep 2002
372 Posts
Mystery 305

Th AD was probably the most versatile combat aircraft ever in the Navy inventory. It shot down Migs in Korea and Vietnam, carried injured in litters, carried passengers, did AEW and ASW work, was a SIOP nuclear weapons platform (using a Tiny Tim boosted loft weapon) as well as its primary role of attack and close air suport.

One of my contacts with it was as an interceptor. In 1961 or 62 I was an intelligence officer at CinCPacFlt headquarters in Pearl Harbor (great duty!!). One of our problems, as things were hotting up in Vietnam, was ground based search radar was detecting low/slow (80-100 kt) targets intruding into friendly airspace. Our thoughts were that these could be AN-2s or helicopters. The Air Force had F-102s in the region and they tried to intercept, but the 102 was totally unsuited for the task.

We were asked to come up with a solution. We first tried to get some Bearcats back from the French. We had given them about 80 when they were involved in Vietnam, but they refused. We eventually used the AD-4Q (Elint version, looks the same as the 4W--ugly) from VQ-1.

They spent several months in Vietnam, but never found anything. Their evaluation was that they were spurious targets.
Corky Boyd is offline Find More Posts by Corky Boyd
Old Sep 19, 2003, 02:17 PM
Ottawa
Joined Aug 2003
99 Posts
Re: Mystery 305

Quote:
Originally posted by corky Boyd
They spent several months in Vietnam, but never found anything. Their evaluation was that they were spurious targets.
The targets were probably Po.2's since it is known that they were used for this very role both in Vietnam and previosuly against the Germans. Much harder to spot than an An.2, especially at low altitudes, and it would generate very weak radar contacts. These incursions were at night I assume?

From a site on the Douglas Skynight....
The F3Ds APG-26 gun radar locked onto the contact at a range of one and a half miles, and at a range of 1000 yards, Corvi opened fire though he could not actually see the target. After a second burst, the F3Ds radar unlocked from target, and Corvi and George flew under a PO-2 whose wings had separated from the fuselage. The two men watched the plane spiral into the water off Cho-do Island. Moments after this, "DUTCHBOY" vectored the F3D toward another target. In a repeat of the first encounter, George establish contact on the F3D's search radar and then locked in target on the targeting radar. Corvi only had time to fire a single burst due to his high airspeed, but
"DUTCHBOY" had reported that this contact too had disappeared from his scope. ... Corvi's double kill (the second listed as "probably destroyed") marked the first time enemy aircraft had been destroyed without visual references, using only the lock-on capability of the APG-26 gun radar."

The twin in front of the Avenger...
Old Sep 19, 2003, 02:24 PM
Owensboro, Kentucky, United States
Joined Oct 2002
296 Posts

Frances maybe??
wespe is offline Find More Posts by wespe
Closed Thread