HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:12 AM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Jake8131 said:
"Wouldn't it be easier to fit a piece of balsa wood on the tail with a slight down angle, instead of tearing the tail apart? Be like making a mini speed brake."

Yes, your right it would be easier and probably work just fine. I thought what I did was pretty easy too. I want to squeeze all the performance I can from this aircraft so my mod was made to minimize drag.
EPPwunderkind is offline Find More Posts by EPPwunderkind
Last edited by EPPwunderkind; Dec 27, 2011 at 12:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:59 AM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Looses RC signal

I've been noticing a loss of RC contact too.
At first it seemed to be just an occasional delay in control response, but it's happened enough to suggest something different. On mine, the loss occurs only when the plane is headed away from me at a distance. It's like there is weak reception when the back of the plane is facing you. When the plane is in a turn and the back end swings around there may be a delay but the turn's momentum moves the dead zone right by, restoring control. When the plane is flying fairly straight away at a distance is when I see the total drop in communication. I can fly circles around myself and overhead all day, even fly away from me at close range or away with a slow turn and it's O.K. Flying in a straight line away at about 80' and I lost control (see below).

Airhogs Blue Sky transmitter dead zone? (1 min 28 sec)

I tried a fresh charge using a plug-in USB and still got the problem. I also try not to point the top of the transmitter toward the plane, but I'm not sure the transmitter orientation is making a difference. Only alkalines in the tx and they test good under load. Maybe I'll put a beeper in with the tx LEDs so I can hear any warning codes as they happen.
Last edited by EPPwunderkind; Dec 27, 2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Add you tube
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:41 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,325 Posts
Too cold and windy to fly mine......(;
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:41 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2011
35 Posts
Can the motors run backwards?

Gents, we're having a mystery here with our "Christmas" flyer: the Hawk Eye in general performed really well, right out of the box, but of course took it's share of hits to houses, trees and asphalt in our residential community. My 10 year old son has been really thrilled with the experience.
Apparently, in a crash or two, a propeller came loose but was recovered, and then subsequently went missing, but fortunately the Hawk Eye came with an extra set of two propellers.
For a while, it felt like the "wind" from the propellers is moving forward. So that's one problem. Did he accidentally reverse the direction of the propellers while putting them on? He insisted that the propellers were correct, but that the motors were running in an opposite directions. I think we've corrected that.
Second, even with careful charging, now the motors don't have the ability to give much propulsion, or more likely, the propellers aren't "sitting" correctly. Has anyone removed and then replaced their propellers? I'd think a 10 year old doing that might ruin the alignment of the little motors and axels and also not place the propeller at the right depth on the propeller shaft.
For now, the plane is grounded here in Austin, TX. Thanks if you have any thoughts on how to get back in the air.
Toltec21 is offline Find More Posts by Toltec21
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:54 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec21 View Post
Gents, we're having a mystery here with our "Christmas" flyer: the Hawk Eye in general performed really well, right out of the box, but of course took it's share of hits to houses, trees and asphalt in our residential community. My 10 year old son has been really thrilled with the experience.
Apparently, in a crash or two, a propeller came loose but was recovered, and then subsequently went missing, but fortunately the Hawk Eye came with an extra set of two propellers.
For a while, it felt like the "wind" from the propellers is moving forward. So that's one problem. Did he accidentally reverse the direction of the propellers while putting them on? He insisted that the propellers were correct, but that the motors were running in an opposite directions. I think we've corrected that.
Second, even with careful charging, now the motors don't have the ability to give much propulsion, or more likely, the propellers aren't "sitting" correctly. Has anyone removed and then replaced their propellers? I'd think a 10 year old doing that might ruin the alignment of the little motors and axels and also not place the propeller at the right depth on the propeller shaft.
For now, the plane is grounded here in Austin, TX. Thanks if you have any thoughts on how to get back in the air.
If you look at the manual, it says that the two props are different....left and right props are not the same.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:15 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
If you look at the manual, it says that the two props are different....left and right props are not the same.
Wow! thanks for directing me back to that, Jake! We pulled up the manual, and there it was, the solution. It was a matter of double checking the propellers, and after confirming things were oriented the right way, we went outside and...back to blue skies!

Thanks again for the reminder.
Toltec21 is offline Find More Posts by Toltec21
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
23 Posts
I just got my plane. I crashed it 3 x and the nose broke off Well its cool cus i know where the battery is now
Does anyone have a clue if the motors are upgradeable? It does seem to have some power but i tried flying mine in light wind and it never could push threw it. IM talking like 3-5 mph at the most.
Over all im impressed with this plane. Im going to mod that back wing when i get some Foam glue.
Vistal is offline Find More Posts by Vistal
Last edited by Vistal; Dec 29, 2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:46 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,784 Posts
the propellers have a curve to them. you CAN put it on backwards, but it will just 'push' less air.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:34 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec21 View Post
Wow! thanks for directing me back to that, Jake! We pulled up the manual, and there it was, the solution. It was a matter of double checking the propellers, and after confirming things were oriented the right way, we went outside and...back to blue skies!

Thanks again for the reminder.
No problem!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
23 Posts
Ok so I did that Wing mod and now my plane is totally nosediving ..how do i fix it?
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:29 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistal View Post
Ok so I did that Wing mod and now my plane is totally nosediving ..how do i fix it?
Where and when did you get it?
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
23 Posts
OOO i did the wing mod cus it was flying like it was in the 1st video.. Up and down Giant hills and not smooth.I got mine for xmas .. crashed it 5-6 x and the nose broke off.. But it was flying like this before the nose broke.After Glueing the nose it still flew the same.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
Have a Hawk Eye Blue Sky and no controller

I was out at the park today with my 3 year old and he found a Blue Sky that was blowing across the field. Nobody else was around as it is really cold and windy out - only my determined-to-play 3 year old.

I have to assume somebody flew it into a tree, somewhere and recently it freed itself.

I had a look at the onboard pictures.. grainy ceiling shot, no outdoor photos or clear faces to try and make an ownership ID.

I put up a picture on a pole near where I found it, as it was probably some inexperienced pilots stocking stuffer who may return.

My next thought is whether a controller can be bound to the 2.4Ghz 3 Channel receiver it has?

Anybody know if this is possible?
imac is offline Find More Posts by imac
Old Jan 03, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistal View Post
Vistal, it sounds like you may have too much of an angle shaved off the base of the tails for your plane. It may not have needed the full 1/8 inch as described. Some people's planes seem to fly smooth right out of the box, so there are probably differences between planes. There are a couple ways you can try to fix yours:

1. You can remove the tail assembly and re-tape it back on with the back part of the tail a little higher, using the tape to "fill the gap" between the tail's bottom edge and the place it attaches to the body of the plane.
-or-
2. You can try carefully bending the back end of the rear wing up a little to compensate instead of removing the tail again if the first way doesn't sound like a good idea.
To do this lay the plane upside-down on a table that has a square edge or on the end of a book so the back wing hangs out to get a straight crease in the wing where you bend it. You'll be bending the back wing end down when the plane is upside-down like this, so it's up when the plane is right-side-up. Align the wing so just the "extra" part of the back wing (the part not connected to the two vertical tails) will be bent. Don't bend too far or the crease will be weak and the bend will just flap back into place by air-flow when it's flying. You should not need much bend.

Good luck!

p.s. When the plane is "adjusted" so it flys like mine, it needs a little airspeed to keep the nose up. Not much, but a real slow toss to get it started might not be enough. To test your mod, try throwing the plane fast with the power off and see how it glides. It should start off slightly climbing and transition to a controlled decent at a constant speed. This is a good way to see if the main wings are straight too. Even a slight warp not visible to the eye can cause a drift to the side on a calm day. Ask me how I know.
Last edited by EPPwunderkind; Jan 03, 2012 at 02:49 AM. Reason: added p.s.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
23 Posts
Thanks .. Wiill report back when i get it right.

Yeah i like to know also i got a LP5DSM Spectrum 5 channel it may do better with ths plane but i have no Book for it. I used it on my Blade msr Which was a crap chopper)
\

Well the redo of the back wing Worked . It climed up and flew level. Now i have 0 left turn only right. I hear the motor slow and start but the left doesnt do anything. Going to try and take it back.If you are not looking you cant really tell its been broke or moded) Well Hope i have Gl with this return. But Anyways Thanks for the advice it did help alot.

Took it back they didnt even look at it .. they asked Whats wron.. go get a new one) Nice. this one flys like a champ.. not to break in the motors.
Last edited by Vistal; Jan 07, 2012 at 05:45 PM.