SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 03, 2003, 03:39 PM
Joined May 2000
2,039 Posts
Wattage High End ARF's?

What's the word on the Ultimate Bipe, Pitts, Cap, Edge etc. they are offering with the cobalt motors? Will they fly box stock or do you have to intall BL?

Thanks.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2003, 04:04 PM
jk
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,281 Posts
the Wattage planes are built well, but they are very heavy.

IMO, their cobalt motors are not of good quality & draw alot of amps ( inefficient).

-john
jk is offline Find More Posts by jk
Old Aug 03, 2003, 04:08 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
I have an internet buddy who said performace was very poor with the colbalt motor (with crazy 8). He said his CrazyMAX with stock motor was much better I went with hacker b20-15 with 4:1 gearbox and very happy with performace.

regards, Fletch
fletch is offline Find More Posts by fletch
Old Aug 03, 2003, 04:21 PM
Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
I have used the Watt-Age cobalt 400 super motor, and it's of very low quality. Magnets fall off, very heavy, draws tons of amps, doesn't last long, and it has a mount different than that of any motor ever - fitting a gearbox is awkward and difficult, let alone very few fit - even with modifications.....
For just a little more cash, I recommend the Promax cobalt 4014 motor. It's lighter, easier to mount and add a gearbox, uses less amps, and it definitely has a ton more oomph, especially when geared.

-Michael
aeropenguin is offline Find More Posts by aeropenguin
Old Aug 03, 2003, 04:28 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Craley, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
Wattage planes look pretty, but are too heavy and never fly well stock.
sgil2001 is offline Find More Posts by sgil2001
Old Aug 03, 2003, 06:57 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
May be should take a look about what GWS Formosa, F4U....many new airplanes, check their cost-performance!

I remember, some one said GWS made cheap crappy products. But GWS airplanes fly pretty well!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Aug 03, 2003, 07:56 PM
Orlando
Joined Jan 2003
584 Posts
Rich.

I have the Crazy 8 and the Ultimate Bipe. Stock was under powered on these planes, but with Hackers and some mods, they fly very well.

I am in the process of adding aerolons to the top wing of the bipe as it's roll rate is pretty poor. I did some mods inside which pulled some of the weight off, and made room for standard batteries. I will say that the bipe is built very well. I've cartwheeled it several times, and the worst that has happened is the LG comes off.

The build very nice planes, but yes- they are a tad on the heavy side. I believe they could have been lighter like my Tantrum, but they would probably not be half as resilient as they are now.

Steve
RacerX is offline Find More Posts by RacerX
Old Aug 03, 2003, 08:03 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
If you're looking for a CAP or Ultimate (soon) as a home for a brushless check out www.stevensaero.com

Very high quality laser cut kits and half the weight of the Wattage planes.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 03, 2003, 11:20 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Feb 2002
216 Posts
Rich,

The Wattage kits are very high quality ARFs. Your view of the power systems will largely depend on what you are used to. I felt the Cap and the Ultimate flew fine with the stock motors. However, you will certainly get better performance by going brushless, which I eventually did on both of mine.

The cobalt motors are very inconsistent, and carefully breaking them in as the manufacturer suggests is a must. Even then, I had a problem with one, although I have had no trouble with 2 others I have owned.

The planes are pretty heavy. They are better suited to paved runways or packed dirt then bumpy grass. If you are going to fly the planes from rough fields you need to ditch the wheel-pants and install larger wheels.

Bill
Billmagann is offline Find More Posts by Billmagann
Old Aug 03, 2003, 11:49 PM
jk
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,281 Posts
i agree with you Bill. I own 3 wattage planes (Extra 330, Super Decathalon and the Crazy 8). i use BL motors in all of them, have done a few things to make them lighter and do use larger wheels.

for more info on some of them, you can visit my website here:

http://microhelis.homestead.com/Airplanes.html

btw,
the C8 seems to be the least affected by it's weight due to it's large wing area.

-john
jk is offline Find More Posts by jk
Old Aug 04, 2003, 03:12 AM
The need for speed
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
168 Posts
I agree with GWS4CEO, GWS planes are unbelievable value, and excellent flyers. Having had both the Wattage Reno Racer and the GWS Mustang I can say there is no comparison! My Mustang is the most realistic and exciting looking plane I have ever had, and it's very fast. My Reno Racer lasted for about ten flights before the cracks in the fuselage behind the wing become unrepairable. It now hangs on the wall as a showpiece!
Foaminator is offline Find More Posts by Foaminator
Old Aug 04, 2003, 09:34 AM
West Dundee, IL, USA
Joined Jul 2001
845 Posts
I just finished my Crazy 8 with a Super Cobalt. I think the biggest problem with the motor is that the published specs are WAY off. I'm using 2520 rpm/V, 3A idle, and .1 Ohm. This seems much closer to reality (a place I like to visit). Wattage should really correct this, and I think they'd get fewer complaints. Yes, the first motors were pretty bad, but the gold unit I have is working well so far geared at 2:1, 8X6, and 9 cells.

The construction and quality of the C8 is fantastic, and a darn fast build. A real Almost Ready to Fly.
tekochip is offline Find More Posts by tekochip
Old Aug 04, 2003, 11:58 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined May 2002
911 Posts
Eindecker

I have the Eindecker and it flys really well.
I highly recommend this plane. It is pretty beefy
but agile and slow enough for a small baseball field.
I fly mine low and slow and real close in. It's a hoot
for some relaxing flying. I really like it. It builds really fast
too. Give it a try you will dig it!
DesertRC is offline Find More Posts by DesertRC
Old Aug 05, 2003, 04:02 AM
santa clarita ca
Joined Jul 2000
893 Posts
JOHN,

nice job on th decathlon! i was going to use the astro 010 14 with the 3.3 gearbox. did your 3.3 bolt right on the razor?

tom
new2heli is offline Find More Posts by new2heli