SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2011, 03:33 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
I hate to continue to de-rail this thread, but I have to point out that Elapor, Arcel, EPP, etc. ARE NOT STYROFOAM!

If you want to talk about a SUBSTANTIAL build, just look at any EPP foam kit like those from Leading Edge Gliders. Lots of room for creativity there: no two end up the same.

Chris
off to go and stroke a mouldie...
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:48 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanscho View Post
I hate to continue to de-rail this thread, but I have to point out that Elapor, Arcel, EPP, etc. ARE NOT STYROFOAM!

If you want to talk about a SUBSTANTIAL build, just look at any EPP foam kit like those from Leading Edge Gliders. Lots of room for creativity there: no two end up the same.

Chris
off to go and stroke a mouldie...
I don't think anyone here has implied that all "foamies" are styro, or that they are all foams the same; although I will state that styrofoam was the first foam to find its way into the aero modeling world in one form or another, sometime ago.

Lanier glow powered ARF models used it on the wings and tail feathers, covering them with a plastic material they referred to as "Aeroskin". Fuselages were made of ABS plastic reinforced with plywood doublers and bulkheads. Dubro had two similarly constructed models, a high wing trainer called "The Aerocommander" and a low winger "Piper Cherokee". Pictured below are two such Lanier ARFs, a Jester & a P-51. Both photos "borrowed" from the web.

My "Sweet 16" kit was supplied as gigantic precut planks of styrofoam and plywood in a big box, while the Cub was a moulded white styro ARF kit.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:16 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
Molenjin is a moderator and is therefore not subject to the IGNORE function (too bad). Please do not feed the TROLL any longer.

On topic - nice review
This is a review thread about a glider, and a nice looking one. Start another thread about your off topic stuff, please.

Nice review
Nice gliders
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:36 PM
Joined Oct 2008
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong View Post
the foam glider can take multiple crashes and the balsa, not even one.

These almost glaring comparisons of foam to balsa are fairly unfounded.. They're almost 'racist'!

Well if that is all it is good for, 'cheap mass production', why would they make it at all? And why would they make 'cheap' flimsy balsa with easy-stripping film?

Foam is used because it is not only suitable for beginners at the learning 'opssidaisies' stages but because it provides an easy format for modification, e.g. Aerial photography, fpv, etc. It is easy, basically, and that is the point. Anyone can point out that a more likely (maybe, depends really) balsa ship being lighter and more streamlined would have better 'performance' but that would never kill the concept of a durable foamie that you don't have to fear crashing.

If you did crash an easystar that doesn't bode too well for your flying skills perhaps you should fly more foamies. Easystar's are incredibly stable, there is no way you could experience "poor handling" unless you stuck an oversized inrunner on it, and even then i remember someone put on an edf of immense power and it still ran stable!

This is... Well just untrue.. Perhaps if you "push it a bit", but... I don't see why balsa and plastic film would perform any better under unsuitably high speeds. And if we're talking about the 'smoothness' of a models wing, it barely applies to the deliberately draggy airframe of this glider to make it suitable for slow and light thermaling. That only comes into account with very high performance and competition level thermal gliders, pylon racers and hotliners; which your average rc enthusiast looking for a 'rtf' kit, is not so concerned with.

I just can't picture foamies like a funjet or the st models blaze warmliner just wobbling in the air whilst speeding across.. "struggling to keep the same angle of attack", this generalization is disturbing! Report back to the legion of doom that we're not so convinced!
word!!!!!!!
AirBear is offline Find More Posts by AirBear
Old Apr 28, 2011, 01:09 PM
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Sep 2009
20 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on one today. Can't wait. First electric sailplane.
Keep coming with those flight reports and videos to keep me going until it arrives. Thanks for all information to date and helping me make this choice.

John in CT
scalz is online now Find More Posts by scalz
Old Apr 28, 2011, 03:26 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
I don't think anyone here has implied that all "foamies" are styro , or that they are all foams the same...
Our Serbian Mod did exactly that (middle of post #69), that's why I said it.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Last edited by Woodstock 1; Apr 28, 2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added reference
Old Apr 28, 2011, 04:27 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,196 Posts
ANYWAY....
Yeah, cant wait either John! This thing looks really grand online. I'm sure it'll kinda blow me away in real life. Probably down the road I might mod some separate flaps in. Don't know yet.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Apr 28, 2011, 05:34 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanscho View Post
Our Serbian Mod did exactly that (middle of post #69), that's why I said it.
OH! MY!!!

Perhaps all they have "there" is made out of styro...

THXS. for enlightening me. I owe you one...

I think I may get me one and join in the Phoenix II revolution too. Even though I need another plane like I need an extra hole in the head.

The more I look at it, the more I like it.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:51 AM
Escondido CA.
Joined Jul 2003
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalz View Post
Just pulled the trigger on one today. Can't wait. ..........John in CT
Me too (bought one today)! I think it has been two years since I bought a plane. We use to have a hobby people right here in town (Escondido, CA.), but it closed in the last year. Too bad. It was right on the way home. I ordered it economy shipping. Maybe it will only take a few days if it comes from their Fountain Valley CA. warehouse.

Matt
mtucker is offline Find More Posts by mtucker
Old Apr 29, 2011, 06:54 AM
Serbia Moderator
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2006
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
OH! MY!!!

Perhaps all they have "there" is made out of styro...
Actually, we prefer natural materials
molenjin is offline Find More Posts by molenjin
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:17 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
Me too (bought one today)! I think it has been two years since I bought a plane. We use to have a hobby people right here in town (Escondido, CA.), but it closed in the last year. Too bad. It was right on the way home. I ordered it economy shipping. Maybe it will only take a few days if it comes from their Fountain Valley CA. warehouse.

Matt
Cool! You are going to have some fun with it
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:12 AM
Brewer, Maine
Joined Aug 2010
139 Posts
LOL...nice review, the music almost put me to sleep... relaxing
deuce66 is offline Find More Posts by deuce66
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:40 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!