SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:45 PM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
Mine just arrived RTF on sale, till you get the feel strongly suggest lower throttles on launch, at altitude practice higher throttles. Did have it turn on two launches, but pulsed throttles brought it back. Easy does it is very predictable. Fun to see it catch an early winter thermal, actually went up with power off. Not a windy ship, but enjoyable when conditions favorable. Need a open area size able for landing as not surprising a real floater, landings are easy if you've flown gliders, managed a few shoe top landings, several sailed smoothly right on by, landings soft as a feather, enjoyable flyer.
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:52 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,043 Posts
This glider loves the wind!! Here is a bit of slope action in 21 mph wind. Enjoy.
Phoenix II Slope'n Fun (4 min 42 sec)
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:39 PM
VegasRay
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2005
206 Posts
Motor/Prop Upgrade

LexusFPV - there are many power combinations to chose from out there. I went with a Suppo 2814/8 from Altitude Hobbies in Ft. Collins, CO. It is rated at 1000 kv, about 350-380watts at about 35 amps and it hauls the Phoniex up nicely.

I'm still experimenting with prop sizes but to date the APC 11x 8 folding prop on the APC 55 mm hub using the stock Phoniex plate and spinner works just fine. I recorded about 320 watts and about 22 amps when using a 3 x 1300 LiPo. The stock kit prop on this motor did nothing spectactular but the 11 x 8 really really brought the climb rate to life.

Tomorrow I'm going to try a APC 12 x 8.5 prop. That might be near the upper limit of amps/watts but for a 30 second motor run when climbing to altitude I think I'll be near the maximum.

As recommended, this motor needs a minimum of a 40 amp ESC as it does pull a high current load.

Hope this helps,
Ray
VegasRay is offline Find More Posts by VegasRay
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:43 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Cool vid Tim!
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:32 PM
VegasRay
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2005
206 Posts
Over Propped with APC 12 x 8.5

I tried the APC 12 x 8.5 prop today on a static test. Not too good. I read about 360 watts at 34 to 36 amps. The motor started to sag so I shut it down. I realize that it would unload slightly when flying but the 12 x 8.5 is just a bit too much. I went back to the 11 x 8 and made several full power climbs to 200 M (600 feet).

So back to the drawing board on the prop selections.

I might try a Suppo 2814 at 1400kv with the 11 x 8 prop to see if the added RPM will improve the climb rate. More to come.

Ray
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:56 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
Cool vid Tim!
Thank you Sir.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:52 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Phoenix 2

hi guys,
This model as standard cannot be setup with flaprons/spoilers as the two wing servos are hard wired into a "Y" harness only giving one receiver input.
I purchased mine last week as i am a raptor 50 flyer and fancied a sunday afternoon fixed wing .
Last night i set about re-wiring the wing to give me seperate wing servos and it was real easy, the wires are joined in the fus but to far back to get at so i used a blade to seperate the bottom join in the fus and genltly opened the gap with a blade enough to push the servo wire through exposing the y harness under the belly.
From here its a simple case of cutting one of the servos free and soldering a cut up extension to the cut free end resulting in independant wing servos which my futaba T7C happily mixed flaprons and airbrake .
Model flys ace and when flaps are applied slows her down to a crawl for a nice short smooth landing, just thought i would share my experiance.
andy carr is offline Find More Posts by andy carr
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:44 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,177 Posts
Mix a little reflex to it too, and see handle throttle like a champ

However, this/my plane don't like too much speed at all...
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:18 PM
VegasRay
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2005
206 Posts
Props and Motor

I finally got around to installing the Suppo 2814 at 1400 Kv using the APC 11 x 8 folding prop. The timed climb to 200 meter (600 feet) was essentially identical to the performance with the 1000 Kv motor and the same 11 x 8 APC prop. The time to climb was 26 to 27 seconds. Our field is at an altitude of 3300 feet above sea level so the air density is a bit less than at sea level. I also tried a Graupner 11 x 6 folding prop and the time to climb was the same. I think the 1400 Kv motor lacks a bit of needed torque for the prop size so I'm going back to the 2814 motor at 1000 Kv.

I also tried several cooling options for the ESC and battery that have worked nicely. Overall the plane flies very well and thermals like gang busters. Much better in the air then my Radian-Pro.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:47 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,043 Posts
Excellent info VegasRay!

Just a small update on my Phoenix II. It is now 2 years old and still flying!!! I wore out 1 motor and destroyed 1 canopy. I got my Phoenix stuck in one tree and it did not get damaged.........

Slope season has started up again, so it is time to spend a little time on the slope with my Phoenix II.

Happy flying Phoenix II owners!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:42 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2003
13 Posts
Ordered the RTF version yesterday. On sale for $149.99 complete with the Phase 3 no-name radio. I'm eager to get this bird in the air, and plan to do some upgrades later on. Flaperons first along with a Hitec 7 ch rx. Then we'll consider another motor/esc/prop combo, similar to VegasRay's setup. Meantime, I'm just sitting here waiting for FedEx to show up.....
Glidersaur is offline Find More Posts by Glidersaur
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:47 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,043 Posts
Yeah, the Phoenix II that is available now had a radio change. Kind of a bummer. But the price did drop. So that is good.

Glidersaur the first thing I did was dump the productions radio and used my computer radio. Second thing was ditch the y-harness. I now have the ailerons set up as spoilers and can control input with a slider.
Old Aug 01, 2013, 07:03 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2003
13 Posts
That is exactly what I plan to do with mine, Tim. I have a new Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro rx that will do the spoileron duties along with an aero tow release under the motor. It may take a bit of rearranging the esc and battery, but I'm up for the challenge. I'll post some pix if anyone is interested. I might replace the 18 amp esc with a 40 amp while I'm tearing things up. Also, I may take out the up thrust in the motor.
Glidersaur is offline Find More Posts by Glidersaur
Old Aug 01, 2013, 10:43 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,043 Posts
Sounds like that will be fun! Keep us posted.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 04:03 PM
Fox Four,..Guns, Guns, Guns!
United States, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Jun 2011
92 Posts
Hi Phase 3 Phoenix II flyers. Not much going on here, but I'm back since my last post June, 7th 2011 (maiden and tail mod). This glider has been broken down and stored back in it's original box for over a year. Thanks to my handy dandy velcro and pack tape tail section. Since then I have progressed and have bound and flown 7 other planes into my DX6i and just got around to picking up a couple more Orangrx's from HK and installed one into the Phoenix II. One contoller, ... 10 planes!

Wow, she flew just as I remembered but with a different controller and set ups made it even better. I have installed flaps on some of my other planes and was thinking about doing the same with this one. I have never had any problems landing. She is as gentle as you want her to be. Any body do this?

Oh, I did have a clevis failure (break) on my portside aileron while in flight. Good thing she hadles fine with just rudder and elevator. Had to remember my aileron-less flying days but with 2 sticks instead of one. I wrinkled the nose a bit coming in hot bouncing off the hard deck. It looked worse than the minimal damage that happened to it. This plane can take some bounces.

I know, the clevis's were recomended to be replaced and the aileron's hinge taped. I taped the ailerons but failed to replace the clevis's. Don't know if the newer models require any of that but buyer beware!
jwoocrew is offline Find More Posts by jwoocrew