Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1432860

Motor, ESC are junk.

Nose plastic wall need to be rebuilt with plywood.

You must be prepared to rebuild this glider to perform to your expectation.

It took more than a month for the factory to send a replacement for burnt motor. New motor ordered is out of stock.

My Phoenix has been grounded more than a month since I bought it.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT THE PHOENIX FROM HOBBY KING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomracing View Post
ok. i thought hobby king just had old stock of it. oh well i hope it's a good plain. i thought i read in this string someone say hobby king was selling it. it looks alot like my easy glider electric. especially the wings center section in how it locks together.

thanks for letting me know that it's a different plain.
Based on the comments about the Hobby King plane, you may have some problems.

AND, FOR THOSE WHO ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION, THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT ANY PLANE SOLD BY HOBBY KING.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT A GREAT PLANE BEING SOLD BY HOBBY PEOPLE.

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME PLANE.

Clear skies and safe flying!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:24 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,133 Posts
OK...we got the message ......
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:04 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT THE PHOENIX FROM HOBBY KING!

Based on the comments about the Hobby King plane, you may have some problems.

AND, FOR THOSE WHO ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION, THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT ANY PLANE SOLD BY HOBBY KING.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT A GREAT PLANE BEING SOLD BY HOBBY PEOPLE.

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME PLANE.

Clear skies and safe flying!
you seriously do need to chill dude. same name, but different plane. sorry for getting your shorts in a knot.
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:15 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,133 Posts
For real.......

ANYHEW....Have anyone else took this plane out for a spin lately?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:52 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,371 Posts
OK, maybe I went a bit strong. I just didn't like people smearing the good name of this plane by associating it with another that may not be as good. And I did not like the good name of Hobby People being smeared as well.

No, I don't work for Hobby People and I don't own this plane. But I have been watching it and have started to suggest people take a look at it.

Ed
Old Jul 02, 2011, 10:04 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,133 Posts
Hey guy check this out! First time running across this on YouTube. I've never seen this plane move so spritley...

Phoenix II Meritrc (4 min 54 sec)
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:03 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,371 Posts
Has anyone flown the Phoenix II in an ALES contest or measured the climb to see if it meets the ALES standard of 200 meters in 30 seconds?
Old May 31, 2012, 07:31 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,371 Posts
I guess no one has flown a Phoenix II in an ALES contest.

Can anyone tell me about the climb rate? For ALES you need to hit 200 meters (650 feet) in 30 seconds or less. can th ePhoenix II achieve this rate of climb?

I would like to suggest this plane to my club members for ALES contests but don't know if it can get the job done.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:24 PM
W.F.G.D
United States, CA, Mammoth Lakes
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
Phoenix II new build

I recently bought a Phoenix II from Hobby People. The Kit version was only $99.99. Even if it can't go up in a tornado, you can't go wrong.

In regard to ALES which is why I bought it, it comes with a 450 class motor (about a 175 watts maybe) against a 2.2 lb ready to fly ship. In short doubtful.

I happen to have a 480 class motor which I will swap in for about 280 watts, which gets me pretty close.

I destroyed a Radian Pro and it had a 480 class motor in it. The RP was a good flyer but getting parts from Minnesota was getting tiresome and wings are not available so 184 vs 99 the choice is obvious. I will keep you posted after I finish all the other mods.
jbitz is offline Find More Posts by jbitz
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:26 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbitz View Post
I recently bought a Phoenix II from Hobby People. The Kit version was only $99.99. Even if it can't go up in a tornado, you can't go wrong.

In regard to ALES which is why I bought it, it comes with a 450 class motor (about a 175 watts maybe) against a 2.2 lb ready to fly ship. In short doubtful.

I happen to have a 480 class motor which I will swap in for about 280 watts, which gets me pretty close.

I destroyed a Radian Pro and it had a 480 class motor in it. The RP was a good flyer but getting parts from Minnesota was getting tiresome and wings are not available so 184 vs 99 the choice is obvious. I will keep you posted after I finish all the other mods.
Agreed. That is plenty for sport soaring. I am sure the glider has a nice climb out, but it won't really get where it needs to be for ALES.

If your 480 really hits 280 watts you should be golden.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Aug 2007
18 Posts
Phoenix II ESC Arming

Based on the good review I ordered a Phoenix II RTF for some relaxed flying. The kit arrived in good shape with a few minor dings. The instruction manual appears to be for an earlier version of the kit.

Just a couple of questions;

Has anybody experienced binding with the rudder and elevator push rods?

Is there an easy way to remove the prop adapter? I would like a little more clearance between fuselage and the spinner. I tried using both standard and metric hex wrenches, but none of them fit.

What position should the throttle be at when the 3s lipo is plugged into the 18A Phase 3 ESC? There is a spark when the lipo is attached regardless of the throttle position, should I be concerned? I don't see this with my Castle Creations Thunderbird 18.

The manual states the throttle should be at the low position but the ESC arms immediately. If the throttle is not in the minimum position when the battery is attached the ESC does not appear to arm until the throttle is moved to minimum position.

The balance adapter on the 1500 3s adapter fits the GP connector on my charger's balance board, are the wires attached in the correct order?

Thanks, Ed
edb61 is offline Find More Posts by edb61
Last edited by edb61; Sep 17, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:14 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edb61 View Post
Based on the good review I ordered a Phoenix II RTF for some relaxed flying. The kit arrived in good shape with a few minor dings. The instruction manual appears to be for an earlier version of the kit.

Just a couple of questions;

Has anybody experienced binding with the rudder and elevator push rods?

Is there an easy way to remove the prop adapter? I would like a little more clearance between fuselage and the spinner. I tried using both standard and metric hex wrenches, but none of them fit.

What position should the throttle be at when the 3s lipo is plugged into the 18A Phase 3 ESC? There is a spark when the lipo is attached regardless of the throttle position, should I be concerned? I don't see this with my Castle Creations Thunderbird 18.

The manual states the throttle should be at the low position but the ESC arms immediately. If the throttle is not in the minimum position when the battery is attached the ESC does not appear to arm until the throttle is moved to minimum position.

Thanks, Ed
I didn't have any problems with binding, how much are you seeing?

I have removed the prop adapter at one point. I vaguely recall using an adjustable wrench.

The throttle should be set to low stick when arming the ESC. As you have found out, the ESC won't arm until the throttle is brought back to idle. This is normal, and the spark you experience when connecting the battery is also normal (you should see the spark from a 12s setup!).
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Aug 2007
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
I didn't have any problems with binding, how much are you seeing?

I have removed the prop adapter at one point. I vaguely recall using an adjustable wrench.

The throttle should be set to low stick when arming the ESC. As you have found out, the ESC won't arm until the throttle is brought back to idle. This is normal, and the spark you experience when connecting the battery is also normal (you should see the spark from a 12s setup!).
I removed the rudder and elevator push rods and wiped them off some 3in1 oil to reduce the binding.

I found a hex wrench that fit the the prop adapter in my junk drawer. The adapter still won't come off so I might drill and tap the spinner for a 4-40 thread and use the spinner screw to pull the adapter off the motor shaft. I can't get enough leverage with the original Phillips head screw.

As far as I can tell, the balance connector on the lipo is a JST-XH and should work with my charger.

9/20/12 Update:

The Phoenix had its first two flights this afternoon with a few minor hiccups. I'm still getting used to it so take the following comments with a grain of salt.. It needed about 1/8 inch of up elevator to stay level. At full throttle it wants to climb straight up and loop. Another time at altitude it dove into an outside loop when full throttle was applied, after throttling back I regained control of the glider. I'm inclined to add some down-thrust to the motor and/or bind it to my RDS8000 and use elevator/throttle mixing. At 1/2 throttle or less the glider is docile and predictable. I couldn't get the motor to arm for the third flight as a bullet connector had come off one of the ESC wires. There was no charring on the wire, so I think it was just a bad solder joint. I re-soldered the wire and the the motor/ESC are working fine.

Overall I enjoyed flying the Phoenix, it's a nice change from powered flight. If anybody has had experience with the pitch up/down tendencies at full throttle, I would be interested in any suggestions to fix/reduce the problem.

9/23/12 Update
On the second time out I was still having problems with pitch up under power. At the launch of the 3rd flight at 3/4 throttle, the Phoenix went up into a loop and ended up going straight into the ground. The fuselage was destroyed back to the trailing edge of the canopy. I used boiling water to reshape the pieces of the fuselage before attempting a repair. If the fuselage is in reasonable alignment after the repair, I will add some down-thrust to the motor and try again.

I am using White Gorilla glue for the repair, it appears to have a good bond, expands to fill in the gaps, and does not appear to damage the foam.

11/28/12 Update

Before the test flight my long time instructor/mentor added a little reflex to the ailerons at neutral. This improved the flight characteristics and reduced the workload on the pilot. The Phoenix still pitched up at full throttle, so I decided to bind it to my Airtronics RDS8000 to setup throttle/elevator and aileron/rudder mixing.

I took it out last week to try the new radio. A 15% throttle/elevator mix took care of the full throttle pitch up and the aileron/rudder mixing improved response at low speeds. About 10 minutes into the third flight the Phoenix stopped responding to control inputs at ~200 foot altitude just prior to a turnaround. It continued to fly straight and went into a shallow dive and crashed in the brush off the field.

After the crash, I verified that the transmitter and the 3s lipo had sufficient charge. The rudder servo had failed, it was twitchy before the crash. I'm confident the failure was a result of the crash and not the cause. Based on this article by aeajr,I believe the BEC overheated and no longer provided power to the receiver. I'm guessing the no-name ESC/BEC is marginal for the number of servos (4) in the Phoenix. Add mixing and the servo load might be pushing the BEC over the brink. This article is a must read for anyone new to electric flying and/or flying an RTF with no-name components.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731680

The ESC is tucked into a pocket in the bottom of the fuselage and does not get much air. I've noticed the ESC gets pretty warm after a flight.

I'm replacing the rudder and elevator servos with Hitec HS55s and the ESC with a Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 amp ESC. I going to relocate the ESC or at least provide more cooling to it.

Thanks,

Ed
edb61 is offline Find More Posts by edb61
Last edited by edb61; Nov 28, 2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Update
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
Newbie Question

I'm a long time RCer but am new to electrics. I just flew my Phoenix 2 RTF (the one that comes with everything) for the first time. Unfortunately I received NO instructions about the charger and battery. The first flight I got a decent amount of time from the battery and then put it back on the included 12V charger, connected to my car battery. The light on the charger started flashing immediately. I left it on the charger for probably 20 minutes and it never stopped flashing. I then put the battery back in the plane and got less than 30 seconds of power.

Can someone tell me what I should expect the charger light to do and how long it should take for a full charge. Will the light change to tell me it is done charging? How long should a full charge give me powered flight.

Thanks for any advice. I am impressed with the climb rate and do like the way the plane flies.

Jim
JimboM is offline Find More Posts by JimboM
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:20 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,218 Posts
What upgraded motor/prop can be used?
(ie....Hacker, Scorpion)....
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV